Top Gear

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Re: Top Gear

Post by Heisen » Mon May 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Anyone watch it then? Didn't particularly dislike it but I didn't really like it either. Just found it boring. Chris Evans trying to do his best Clarkson impression was just a bit sad aswell.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon May 30, 2016 6:58 pm

I didn't think it was too bad, but they were forcing it a bit at times to try and recreate what Clarkson, May and Hammond had on screen. Evans and Le Blanc may get that in time, but it was a bit try hard.

Nevertheless, still happy to watch that episode and I'll continue watching to see where it goes.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon May 30, 2016 7:56 pm

My initial thoughts were that LeBlanc is a great choice, very different in character to the old 3, and an entertaining watch in the Ariel off-roader segment. Evans was a bit try hard, the celebrity chatter was a bit forced, but the rallycross thing is cool. Also I f***ing hate audience participation in stuff. I'll give it a few weeks to warm up.
I had the first custom w***

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 pm

It wasn't very good. Sabine Schmitz is by far and away the best of the new presenters and she didn't feature anywhere near enough. Chris Evans is a terrible presenter. Tries too hard to be funny and far too shouty. Not funny or entertaining in the slightest and that was just his studio bits. He was even worse in the films.

Matt LeBlanc seems like he might be decent with time. He focused far to much on the fact he's American. I'm sure everyone was already aware. During his bits Evans didn't ruin, the Ariel Nomad review, he was good.

The overall format was far too much like the Top Gear of old. They aren't going to beat what Clarkson, Hammond and May have had so they should have changed it more so it wasn't just a poor imitation. Though the slight change they did make, the star in the rallycross car was abysmal so if that is the best the can come up with in terms of changes then I can see why they kept it pretty much the same.

I'll give it one more go next week. Apparently Eddie Jordan will feature so it'll be interesting to see what he'll bring to the show. Hopefully there will be a lot less of Chris Evans and a bit more Sabine Schmitz as well. If it isn't a lot better than this weeks then I won't continue watching in the future weeks.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 am

Initially I found Evans a bit cringy but I can understand his excitement and over-acting. He said it's been a dream of his to present Top Gear so he's acting out his dream. Hopefully he'll settle down a bit as the series goes on, and he finds his own rhythm.

The first show was always going to be difficult to win people over. Personally, I saw enough to make me tune in next week. I just hope it's a bit more entertaining as I found a lot of it dragged.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 31, 2016 2:09 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I reckon it'll go a little something like this:

Welcome to TF its Top Gear and I’m your host Chris Evans. Tonight we’ll have my special guest... Noel Gallagher! Everybody… We’ve got Noel Gallagher! Here. Noel Gallagher playing his new song and driving our reasonably priced car…. AT THE SAME TIME! We’ll also look at the new BMW 5 series as I interview Paul Weller! Paul Weller people. Right here! In a BMW 5 series. Me. Paul Weller and a BMW. Only on TF its Top Gear.

Now, over to my mate and our producer Will for a stupid prank that we’ll find hilarious!

*Will slides into the studio covered in grease dressed as a crab*

Hurrah!! Hurrah!! This is so funny. I am so funny!

Noel Gallagher people! Paul Weller people!
f***ing WORSHIP MY GINGER PUBES YOU C***S!!!
I was quite close.

Too shouty. Too forced.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 31, 2016 2:57 pm

I liked Matt LeBlanc tbh, and I basically hate him in everything else I've seen him do. Evans is basically exactly as expected given that he's an annoying bellend.

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Tue May 31, 2016 6:59 pm

I found it to be quite boring if I am honest, but TG with CHM could also have episodes where it could be boring/tedious. It'll be interesting to see how it fares towards the end of the series once Matt and Chris build up their chemistry together.

Like others I found Chris Evans to be particularly irritating, and found myself skipping most of the studio parts because he was being far too excitable. I really liked Matt LeBlanc and his laid back approach. I wonder if the producers have intentionally gone for two polar opposite personalities so they can broaden the appeal of the show? <scratch>

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 pm

Swarlos wrote:They have like one series a year of 6 shows and a special. Why not more? Also, the Botswana, Bolivia and all the ones where they race are the best. A 'Top Gear World Tour' would be amazing!
Excellent prediction of the future here... <gent>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:57 pm

Really didn't mind it, sure it needs some tweaking but the complete s*** storm of hate against it is ridiculously unjustified, most of the negative reviews reeks of Clarkson fan boys throwing their toys out the pram.

The production quality is still top notch and when the presenters work on their chemistry and balance their style its got the potential to be great.
Also it was quite refreshing not having to put up with a narcissistic man child for an hour.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 am

Don Sholeone wrote:Really didn't mind it, sure it needs some tweaking but the complete s*** storm of hate against it is ridiculously unjustified, most of the negative reviews reeks of Clarkson fan boys throwing their toys out the pram.

The production quality is still top notch and when the presenters work on their chemistry and balance their style its got the potential to be great.
Also it was quite refreshing not having to put up with a narcissistic man child for an hour.
Instead we suffered a hyperactive t*** child loaded up on blue smarties for an hour.

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Couldn't stand Chris Evans, constantly shouting , making unfunny jokes & quips (which the canned audience laughter made even worse). His voice over segments seemed so forced as well for all his faults Jeremy Clarkson did those well.

However, thoroughly enjoyed LeBlanc's segments he seemed to take to it well and will probably watch in future because of that. Just really wish they'd get rid of Evans.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Chris Evans is over the top but Ive quite enjoyed it. Episode 2 > Episode 1

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 pm

I didn't mind episode 1, episode 2 was pretty decent tho.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:28 pm

Second one was slightly better than the first but I won't be watching anymore. Nowhere near enough of an improvement, still seems too forced.

Also the bits Chris Evans is in are always going to be unbearable. He's quite possibly the most annoying person on TV.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Good decision on his part. He was so try-hard. I think it would work with a Le Blanc-Reid-Harris front 3, with Sabine Schmidt for extra support where needed. I can take or leave EJ. I just hope they retire the tired Star in a Rallycross/Reasonably Priced Car segments now <erk>
I had the first custom w***

LaurenHiggins
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by LaurenHiggins » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:34 am

Alfie wrote:One of my favourite things on TV. A lot of people don't like Clarkson but I have no problem with him.

Anyone have a favourite Stig introduction?

Think mine was "Some say that in his wallet he has a picture . . . . of his wallet."
Yep, Top Gear is one of my husband's favourite TV thing. Sometimes I hate him for it:)