Top Gear

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Re: Top Gear

Post by Mifune » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:11 pm

I guess I just don't understand why it has to be real? Do you not enjoy fiction books, or films that are not based on real events? Or is it just that you think it is badly executed rather than whether it is fake or real?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Mifune wrote:I guess I just don't understand why it has to be real? Do you not enjoy fiction books, or films that are not based on real events? Or is it just that you think it is badly executed rather than whether it is fake or real?
? I thought I was being pretty clear. Their back and forth banter is cringe-makingly fake. It's like three men stood at a bar having a conversation that they doggedly practiced before showing up which shows all the signs of having been prepared beforehand, and then everyone else at the bar laughing along as though they're hilarious. Yes lots of programmes do this, and they make me cringe as well. Obviously I enjoy fiction books; you and I have discussed plenty of them together.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 pm

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:I guess I just don't understand why it has to be real? Do you not enjoy fiction books, or films that are not based on real events? Or is it just that you think it is badly executed rather than whether it is fake or real?
? I thought I was being pretty clear. Their back and forth banter is cringe-makingly fake. It's like three men stood at a bar having a conversation that they doggedly practiced before showing up which shows all the signs of having been prepared beforehand, and then everyone else at the bar laughing along as though they're hilarious. Yes lots of programmes do this, and they make me cringe as well. Obviously I enjoy fiction books; you and I have discussed plenty of them together.
So it is the execution rather than because it is scripted or real that you have an issue with. I just was not sure if you were saying you did not like it because it is scripted and not real which some people criticise it for (bizarrely in my opinion) or because you just find the 'performance' crude. Not going to argue with that, it does not particularly bother me because that's not the reason I watch it or find it entertaining.

Southern fairy
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Southern fairy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:28 am

Glad he got sacked. If you hit a colleague, call him every name under the sun and threaten over and over to get him sacked, there's no way you'd still be in a job. Those rules should quite rightly apply to everybody, celebrity or not. BBC done the right thing.

I only really watch the shows where they travel, for the cultural aspects. Some of the places they go and things they encounter make for great entertainment. And also to watch James May, as he's the only one that's actually quite funny..
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:56 pm

skalpel wrote:
For somebody that doesn't like the show you must watch it an awful lot to be such an expert on the chemistry of the hosts <roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:59 pm

You can tell all this from one episode <roll>.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:04 pm

So there's no possibility that that one episode was a one off bad one for the presenters? <scratch>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:05 pm

I've seen more than one, I was just being rude.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:09 pm

skalpel wrote:I've seen more than one, I was just being rude.
<laugh> Sounds like you're secretly a fan <fist>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:14 pm

<urgh> I swear it isn't true.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Skalps being a t***?

I don't believe it, completely out of character <roll>
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Ramone wrote:Skalps being a t***?

True, true. And yet I think it's proven that you've managed to outrage forum members to a greater extent than me <roll>.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:Skalps being a t***?

True, true. And yet I think it's proven that you've managed to outrage forum members to a greater extent than me <roll>.
I'm sure I haven't got a clue what you're talking about <roll>
REQUIEM

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:10 pm

I'll miss the cantankerous bugger.

PFT

Post by PFT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 pm

I'll miss his smug winning face.

He had to go though, interesting to see where Top Gear goes from here though Hammond & May will walk away as well presumably.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Hopefully Sky sign the three of them, start a rival show and take all the bbc viewers.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:16 am

Top Gear became a vessel for Clarksons ego, it became less about cars and how much of a man child he could act and get away with, this has become obvious with the manner of his sacking, he thinks he can be openly racist then go around punching people because he's Jeremy Clarkson he can do anything and we all have to laugh and play along. I honestly think the BBC have shown surprising integrity over this, they have essential put an axe through one of thenworlds most popular shows.

I agree on the overly scripted part, it was pretty unnatural and very predictable, when they did focus entirely on the cars it was always the supercars, its cool to see but not every single week. Then you have the whole oh look they are racing I wonder who's gonna win... Oh look egomanic man child! its not about the cars performance its what car Clarkson prefers.

Granted the entertainment factor was great at times but the show lost its roots because it became the Clarkson show. Also whilst I'm at it, if they were to "recast" the lead, I'd offer it to James May, as judging by all his other TV work has actually knows stuff, and can do a bit of mechanics on the side, he seems a genuine technological/mechanical nerd. That's how I'd do things then have someone new to come in under May and Hammond.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:41 am

Clarkson played up to role to garner viewers and increase the popularity of the show. People love to criticise the show for being scripted, but then claim the presenters are not acting.

PFT

Post by PFT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 pm

I really don't think Hammond and May will continue without Clarkson. It was obvious it was scripted at times and as it went on it was becoming tiresome. BBC 3 played a repeat of one last night and it was the one where Clarkson kept on tipping over the Reliant Robin and even though I knew it was set up it still made me laugh. Gonna miss it.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:21 pm

The day after Chris Evans says he may be going it alone as a presenter for Top Gear...

Clarkson posts this:

[tweet][/tweet]

Ta ta Chris. Your show is going to be s***.