Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by ALF » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:35 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:51 am

SpoilerShow
I thought it was super obvious that Arya was gonna kill the Night King as soon as Beric died saving her and the red woman said that he couldn’t be brought back to life because he’d finally done what he needed to do.

I agree about the Night King taking too long to kill Bran, unnecessary as Arya could have jumped earlier and it would have been just as exciting if not more so.

Overall I thought it was quite a let down as an episode and very predictable. The only scene that really had me feeling tense was Arya hiding in the scene you mentioned.
SpoilerShow
They weren't too subtle about this. It was fairly obvious by the way they shared a look at the beginning of the episode, and then when Beric died, it had to be her as the Lord of Light had been bringing back Beric for a reason, and that's all he did, later being confirmed by the Red Woman, and she almost explicitly says it's Arya's destiny.

I didn't even like the hiding scene, why was it all quiet in there when there was a huge battle going on everywhere else?!

I'm really hoping there's a lot of explaining in the next episode, because as it stands, it's hugely unsatisfying. Why was the NK coming south? Why did he want Bran? Where the hell did Bran go for the episode? Why were the Dothraki thrown away like that with no plan? How did Jorah survive?
SpoilerShow
Most of those questions have been answered. The Night King was intent on destroying the realms of men, that was his one goal. He wanted to kill the Three Eyed Raven as that was the worlds memory. With no Three Eyed Raven there is no knowledge of life and death can rule. No idea where Bran went, sightseeing or something. The entire plan was based on luring the Night King to the courtyard, the Dothraki and Unsullied used their strengths to help with that. Jorah died? <scratch>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:24 pm

SpoilerShow
Best episode ever for me. It tied together so many stories from previous seasons and the long term storytelling was fantastic

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:35 pm

SpoilerShow
They weren't too subtle about this. It was fairly obvious by the way they shared a look at the beginning of the episode, and then when Beric died, it had to be her as the Lord of Light had been bringing back Beric for a reason, and that's all he did, later being confirmed by the Red Woman, and she almost explicitly says it's Arya's destiny.

I didn't even like the hiding scene, why was it all quiet in there when there was a huge battle going on everywhere else?!

I'm really hoping there's a lot of explaining in the next episode, because as it stands, it's hugely unsatisfying. Why was the NK coming south? Why did he want Bran? Where the hell did Bran go for the episode? Why were the Dothraki thrown away like that with no plan? How did Jorah survive?
SpoilerShow
Most of those questions have been answered. The Night King was intent on destroying the realms of men, that was his one goal. He wanted to kill the Three Eyed Raven as that was the worlds memory. With no Three Eyed Raven there is no knowledge of life and death can rule. No idea where Bran went, sightseeing or something. The entire plan was based on luring the Night King to the courtyard, the Dothraki and Unsullied used their strengths to help with that. Jorah died? <scratch>
SpoilerShow
Why now? Why not in the previous 8000 years? Why not when the last 3ER lived north of the wall. How can the 3ER be the world's memory in a world with books, and a world that doesn't know the 3ER exists. What happened in the long night/war for dawn? Why was Crastor sacrifying his kids to them? Why was is specifically the NK who had to kill Bran? He could have stayed north of the wall and the Others would have won that war. Why was NK immune to dragon fire? GRRM has said several times this is more than a good vs evil plot, it's incredibly unsatisfying if this is the end of the Others. I wanted answers to the NKs motives beyond "because he's a baddie".
The Dothraki are horse archers, not knight chargers. They had absolutely no way of even hurting the others before the Red Woman lit their weapons. There was no plan for them, their strengths we're not used you can't defend what happened to them with such a weak argument. Why didn't they use the trebuchet more than once/before sending their entire cavaly to their deaths?
Jorah died at the end, but I'm referring to the first wave when he went with the Dothraki on their suicide mission.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:46 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm
ALF wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 pm

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Why now? Why not in the previous 8000 years? Why not when the last 3ER lived north of the wall. How can the 3ER be the world's memory in a world with books, and a world that doesn't know the 3ER exists. What happened in the long night/war for dawn? Why was Crastor sacrifying his kids to them? Why was is specifically the NK who had to kill Bran? He could have stayed north of the wall and the Others would have won that war. Why was NK immune to dragon fire? GRRM has said several times this is more than a good vs evil plot, it's incredibly unsatisfying if this is the end of the Others. I wanted answers to the NKs motives beyond "because he's a baddie".
The Dothraki are horse archers, not knight chargers. They had absolutely no way of even hurting the others before the Red Woman lit their weapons. There was no plan for them, their strengths we're not used you can't defend what happened to them with such a weak argument. Why didn't they use the trebuchet more than once/before sending their entire cavaly to their deaths?
Jorah died at the end, but I'm referring to the first wave when he went with the Dothraki on their suicide mission.
SpoilerShow
Why now could be asked at any point. He didn't know where the previous 3ER was, it was only once he touched Bran that he could find him. I think the Craster deal was literally just sacrificing his kids so he could stay alive, no idea how it was made though. The Night King stayed away from conflict as long as possible, he's always got others to do the killing. He knew where Bran was and he wanted him dead to destroy the memory of the world. They mentioned that earlier this season. The Dothraki are a hoard and they had dragonglass weapons. They're savages that are skilled in combat, not just archery. Robert Baratheon said in Season 1 that you'd have to be a fool to meet them in the field. They were sent to attack in a wave and then retreat but barely any survived. Then the dead attacked. That part of the plan worked, they were luring them in. Jon even said afterwards that the NK was on his way. I think we'll find out more about the Night King but a lot of questions have already been answered.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:12 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:46 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Why now could be asked at any point. He didn't know where the previous 3ER was, it was only once he touched Bran that he could find him.
SpoilerShow
Yes, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have an answer. Things were kicking off long before he touched Bran, it's why the Wildlings were coming south. Plus Bran wasn't the 3ER at that point, so why was he after him?
ALF wrote:
SpoilerShow
I think the Craster deal was literally just sacrificing his kids so he could stay alive, no idea how it was made though.
It would be nice to have an explanation.
ALF wrote:
SpoilerShow
The Night King stayed away from conflict as long as possible, he's always got others to do the killing.
SpoilerShow
What do you mean as long as possible? What reason does he have to enter the battle at all if he can just get someone else to kill Bran.
ALF wrote:
SpoilerShow
He knew where Bran was and he wanted him dead to destroy the memory of the world. They mentioned that earlier this season.
SpoilerShow
Yes I remember this shallow reasoning being given, my complaint is that it's just a lame good vs evil story, when the set up of the early seasons/Bran's story promised a lot more depth
ALF wrote:
SpoilerShow
The Dothraki are a hoard and they had dragonglass weapons.
SpoilerShow
I must have missed that, looked like steel to me.
ALF wrote:
SpoilerShow
They're savages that are skilled in combat, not just archery. Robert Baratheon said in Season 1 that you'd have to be a fool to meet them in the field. They were sent to attack in a wave and then retreat but barely any survived.
SpoilerShow
Where are you getting the wave and retreat plan from? They were sent to die so that the final battle with Cersei would not have the two most fabled armies (Dothraki and Unsullied) fighting for the same side. I suspect the Golden Company would have broken their contract if faced with that. You cannot convince me that that was they best use of them from a tactical point of view.
ALF wrote:
SpoilerShow
Then the dead attacked. That part of the plan worked, they were luring them in. Jon even said afterwards that the NK was on his way.
SpoilerShow
They were already going to attack. The NK was already on his way. If he needed to be baited, why attack at night?! Put your army inside your walls.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm

I thought it was bloody brilliant. I was on the edge of my seat, heart pumping so fast! Lots of questions still as stated. I guessed the end bit but still wasn't disappointed.
SpoilerShow
I agree with the Dothraki bit - total waste but I guess we didn't really know how bad the dead were going to be. That first wave of attack where they were running over the top of each other <yikes>

Did one of the dragons die? I wasn't sure

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm
I thought it was bloody brilliant. I was on the edge of my seat, heart pumping so fast! Lots of questions still as stated. I guessed the end bit but still wasn't disappointed.
SpoilerShow
I agree with the Dothraki bit - total waste but I guess we didn't really know how bad the dead were going to be. That first wave of attack where they were running over the top of each other <yikes>

SpoilerShow
I think both dragons lived.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm
Micky Quim wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
Just saw the Episode 4 trailer - you are correct.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 pm

SpoilerShow
Great episode, tension was unreal, combat was unreal. It's a bit cheesy that the NK was killed and all his army dies but it's been set up that way for a while so can't complain. GOT was always going to get less tense as it got closer to the end as there are just less people to kill and online forums solve the theories. The mystery was part of it's charm but I think they did a great job until they slowed it all down at the end, had too many characters in peril for the living not to win.

I think the dead will make a return, 3 episodes left, so so much left unexplained. A lot of the magic still needs sorting too.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 pm

SpoilerShow
The book is about the throne, not the dead - the following episodes will be about that

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 pm
SpoilerShow
The book is about the throne, not the dead - the following episodes will be about that
SpoilerShow
Bran has so much more of a story left though, I can't see them just leaving it. Winter is still coming.
Last edited by Blue & Maroon on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The books make a big deal about the fight for the throne being irrelevant to the destiny of men etc. I'll be very dissapointed if this is the direction the books go.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:50 am

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 pm
Micky Quim wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The books make a big deal about the fight for the throne being irrelevant to the destiny of men etc. I'll be very dissapointed if this is the direction the books go.
SpoilerShow
It was the priority yes, but not what the overall story is about - for me its Johns journey to becoming King
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:48 pm
Micky Quim wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Bran has so much more of a story left though, I can't see them just leaving it. Winter is still coming.
SpoilerShow
The sun came out at the end and Milinsandre walked into it. Winter has ended

jyotikarakoti
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by jyotikarakoti » Wed May 01, 2019 11:29 am

Elawoman: About the Game of Throne of Who knew that fantasy politics could be this gripping? With a plot that continually manipulates us into thinking, we know things — which we most certainly don’t — striving to predict what’s going to unfold becomes something of an addiction and an oddly competitive one at that.
There’s certainly a sense of voyeurism experienced by us the viewers as we watch intricately developed characters lie, cheat and murder their way to power. There’s the feeling that we’re close enough to the action to be knowledgeable, only for that to be stripped away every episode by some quite despicable antagonists.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm

SpoilerShow
What about the Wolf?!

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 am

<laugh>

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu May 02, 2019 1:49 pm

TBC wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 am

<laugh>
<laugh>

TBC wrote:
Micky Quim wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm

What about the Wolf?!
He died as he lived.

Off screen

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu May 02, 2019 5:19 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:49 pm
TBC wrote:

<laugh>
<laugh>

TBC wrote:

What about the Wolf?!
He died as he lived.

Off screen
And was reborn? He's in the trailer for next week.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:19 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:49 pm

<laugh>

He died as he lived.

Off screen
And was reborn? He's in the trailer for next week.
<roll>

PepperJack
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by PepperJack » Sun May 05, 2019 11:31 am

Micky Quim wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The books are called a Song of Ice and Fire, the books build up to this battle and how irrelevant the throne is in the grand scheme. About how Jon and Dany are Azor Ahai and have a prophecy to fulfil. For me, after 8 years of watching, that episode was the most most anticlimactic, biggest disappointment ever. I honestly couldn't care less who ends up on the throne. The writing has been poor for years now, they sacrificed any sort of tactics or plot for some visuals. The amount of times a character was surrounded and about to die, only for them to cut away and suddenly they're fine is not acceptable. This video pretty much sums up my thoughts on the episode. What was the point of Bran's entire story, he didn't do anything, what was the point of Jon's character arc, just sacrifice Dany's army so you don't have to figure out what to do with them next. What was the point of all the goodbye moments in episode 2 if no one died, maybe they should have spent 5 minutes or so talking about tactics or setting up some exposition There is meant to be another big battle in episode 5 so hopefully they will do a better job, probably could have done with the Dothraki if they are fighting on an open field though.

ps. A boar killed the same amount of major character's as the Night King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7zy1P ... 7801673924