The F1 Thread

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27749
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Yeah, still good to see proper racing and different strategies. I bet Hamilton enjoyed having to fight for the win rather than a bore fest running off into the distance from lap one.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Great call from the strategists to second stop Hamilton. For a few laps it looked like they'd made an error!

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27749
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:52 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:27 pm
Great call from the strategists to second stop Hamilton. For a few laps it looked like they'd made an error!
I think Red Bull were damned if they stopped and damned if they didn’t tbh.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Gasly has been demoted to Toro Rosso and Albon has been promoted to Red Bull.

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8751
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Miami

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by PTAO? » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Wow. Thought it would be Kvyat again.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27749
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Red Bull don’t mess about!

When is Kubica getting demoted from Williams?!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Ocon to join Renault next season and Hulkenberg is out and rumoured to be replacing Grosjean at Haas.

I cant see any team giving Grosjean a drive next season.

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8751
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Miami

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by PTAO? » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm
Ocon to join Renault next season and Hulkenberg is out and rumoured to be replacing Grosjean at Haas.

I cant see any team giving Grosjean a drive next season.
Formula E <ok>

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 am

PTAO? wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 am
overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm
Ocon to join Renault next season and Hulkenberg is out and rumoured to be replacing Grosjean at Haas.

I cant see any team giving Grosjean a drive next season.
Formula E <ok>
Yeah. Seems like his best option.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27749
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:55 pm

GP2 driver killed at Spa, apparently a horrible crash. I haven’t seen it and don’t intend to be one of those morbid people who starts looking for videos.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:55 pm
GP2 driver killed at Spa, apparently a horrible crash. I haven’t seen it and don’t intend to be one of those morbid people who starts looking for videos.
I read that his car collided with another after coming back onto the track after hitting the barriers at the top of Eau Rouge which means they'd have been flat out at that section.

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Norris up to 5th on the start!

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 8898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Speedo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:01 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:55 pm
GP2 driver killed at Spa, apparently a horrible crash. I haven’t seen it and don’t intend to be one of those morbid people who starts looking for videos.
I read that his car collided with another after coming back onto the track after hitting the barriers at the top of Eau Rouge which means they'd have been flat out at that section.
Yeah it was horrible. T-boned at 170mph. The other bloke’s nose was smashed so hard by it he ended up with his feet hanging out where his nose should be, apparently has 2 leg fractures and spinal injuries. I don’t think I’ve seen a worse crash. Truly horrendous.
I had the first custom w***

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:01 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm


I read that his car collided with another after coming back onto the track after hitting the barriers at the top of Eau Rouge which means they'd have been flat out at that section.
Yeah it was horrible. T-boned at 170mph. The other bloke’s nose was smashed so hard by it he ended up with his feet hanging out where his nose should be, apparently has 2 leg fractures and spinal injuries. I don’t think I’ve seen a worse crash. Truly horrendous.
The more I've heard about the crash the worse it sounds as his car was cut in half with the second impact.

You can build a car to withstand an impact but you cant build a car to withstand two high impacts.

Always had a great respect for what these guys do and the risks they take.

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 8898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Speedo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 pm
Speedo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:01 pm


Yeah it was horrible. T-boned at 170mph. The other bloke’s nose was smashed so hard by it he ended up with his feet hanging out where his nose should be, apparently has 2 leg fractures and spinal injuries. I don’t think I’ve seen a worse crash. Truly horrendous.
The more I've heard about the crash the worse it sounds as his car was cut in half with the second impact.

You can build a car to withstand an impact but you cant build a car to withstand two high impacts.

Always had a great respect for what these guys do and the risks they take.
Very true - but part of the reason this accident happened was because after Hubert’s initial accident, his bounced off the barriers and back out - rather than being absorbed by them - which meant that the second accident could happen. Real issue there. With a deeper tyre wall or similar the second accident would not have happened.
I had the first custom w***

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19900
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 pm


The more I've heard about the crash the worse it sounds as his car was cut in half with the second impact.

You can build a car to withstand an impact but you cant build a car to withstand two high impacts.

Always had a great respect for what these guys do and the risks they take.
Very true - but part of the reason this accident happened was because after Hubert’s initial accident, his bounced off the barriers and back out - rather than being absorbed by them - which meant that the second accident could happen. Real issue there. With a deeper tyre wall or similar the second accident would not have happened.
Not sure on that section of track if you could have stopped that at all to be fair. If you back off before the crest; fine as it's a run off area. Slide out on the crest; it's a run off area.

In both those cases you'll usually be ok as the run off area has space to allow you to rejoin safely.

How deep padded or long do you make the area though as Hubert lost it after the crest and came back onto the track because its a run off area?

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27749
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:57 am

Haven’t seen the crash so can’t comment.

As for the race, another decent one I thought. Good for Le Clerc to get his first win albeit under difficult circumstances, he’s had some bad luck this season so deserved that. Another lap and Hamilton probably would have got him. Lots of action down the field too, gutting for Norris.

Obviously Hamilton is going to win the title but the last 5 races or so have been decent. I used to support drivers/teams but in the last few years I’ve come to not care at all who wins as long as it’s a good race.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8751
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Miami

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by PTAO? » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:57 am
Haven’t seen the crash so can’t comment.

As for the race, another decent one I thought. Good for Le Clerc to get his first win albeit under difficult circumstances, he’s had some bad luck this season so deserved that. Another lap and Hamilton probably would have got him. Lots of action down the field too, gutting for Norris.

Obviously Hamilton is going to win the title but the last 5 races or so have been decent. I used to support drivers/teams but in the last few years I’ve come to not care at all who wins as long as it’s a good race.
You kinda have to, the past few years.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27749
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:19 am

Part of me wants to see Hamilton beat Schumacher's record of 7 titles, part of me is desperate for someone other than Merc to win it <laugh>

Hamilton is immense and could/should even have more titles that he already has. Given that he's regularly been at the top of the sport during so many periods of rule changes, engine changes, hybrid/non-hybrid era he'd probably be considered the best ever if he gets to 7 world titles.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 8898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Speedo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:21 am



Astonishingly, Alex Peroni walked away from this one and is totally fine. Those sausages kerbs have to go though, they’re launch pads. But those plastic bollards out there instead of you don’t want people out there...
I had the first custom w***

Post Reply