Cheltenham Festival 2021

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Cheltenham Festival 2021

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:06 am

It's Cheltenham on Tuesday - 4 days of horse racing as good as anywhere in the world. I'lll be watching all the action from home with a Guinness or two and sharing some fancies on here and hopefully we can have some craic and we can win a few quid together. We did this a few years back and think we did alright I seem to recall.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Cheltenham Festival 2021

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:56 am

I remember you having one reasonably good year for tips <scratch>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:04 am

That's more than I remember me having <laugh>

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:41 pm

As uninspiring as a day at the Cheltenham Festival as I can remember on Tuesday. The first race - the Supreme - sees Appreciate It a warm favourite. Trained by Willie Mullins, who has a fine record in this race (and in most races) in recent years, his main danger to my eye looks to be fellow Irish raider Ballyadam. Beaten twice already by Appreciate It this season, Ballyadam looks sure to be suited by the better ground he should face on Tuesday as opposed to the boggy stuff he's been running on through the winter. It's sure to be more in his favour than most and I think he rates as a good each way bet who might just turn the tables around. I personally think the UK pair of Soaring Glory and Metier look like red herrings - I think the Irish have the edge here - and Blue Lord can stay on for 3rd.

Eachway bet on Ballyadam at 7/1

Race two should go to the odds on Shishkin and race three could well be another favourite in Happygolucky. Those who like big prices eachway could maybe do worse than Vintage Clouds. He was 2nd and 3rd in this race before finishing down the field last year. He's been in no sort of form since then and it's hard to be confident but he does at least seem to like it here. Happygolucky should take all the beating, though.

Small win bet Happygolucky at 7/2

Race 4 is the best race of the day by far, and also the most prestigous hurdle race of the year on the planet. Honeysuckle is a perfect 11 from 11, including when destroying many of her reopposing rivals in Ireland last month. However she was suited by the emphasis on stamina that the soft ground provided that day and instinctively I want to take her on (hoewever putting all the favourites in some sort of combo not the worst idea). That said, it's harder to find anything to take her on with! The reigning champ Epatante was beaten at odds of 1/5 when last seen and this is a huge concern. However she is trained by a master and a repeat of her performance last season would probably see her win. Goshen falls into the 'could be anything' he was about 15 to 20 lengths clear when falling at the last at the 2020 Festival (different, easier race) and, having totally lost form, destroyed lesser runners last month. Despite the impression he gave that day, too many doubts remain for me. The horse I do like here is Abacadbras - I don't think he can beat Epatante if she's at her best - but he's a tasty price and was beaten in a photo finish by Shishkin (see above) last year. The ground and the pace setup look certain to suit and I can see him sitting near the back and trying to creep into the race up the straight. For me he's a solid eachway play and if things fall right and he gets a good ride, who knows.

Each way bet Abacadbras 8/1. Small win bet Epatante 4/1.

Race 5 and another favourite with a huge chance. Concertista, for that man Willie Mullins, looks to have a solid chance. Roksana is a good mare in her own right but probably wants a bit further and there's a few interesting ones each way - notably Dame De Compagnie, Black Tears and Indefatigable. Concertista falls into the tonnes of potential, still a bit to prove category, and is probably too short at odds on. However I will be taking the other favourites from the first 5 favourites and doing a little acca, leaving out honeysuckle

Race 6 is a total guess up - my two would be Saint Sam (11/2) and Riviere D'etal (10/1) and the last race I don't have a strong opinion. There will be better days later in the week, this could be a case of how many favourites win (acca) but Ballyadam and Abacadabras look nice eachway bets. Could even chance and each-way double for a nice return if both place.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Appreciate it beats Ballyadam. As predicted favourite way too good, but pleased the each-way selection got 2nd. A good start.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Race two should go to the odds on Shishkin and race three could well be another favourite in Happygolucky. Those who like big prices eachway could maybe do worse than Vintage Clouds. He was 2nd and 3rd in this race before finishing down the field last year. He's been in no sort of form since then and it's hard to be confident but he does at least seem to like it here. Happygolucky should take all the beating, though.

VINTAGE CLOUDS WINS AT 25/1. Happygolucky only 2nd.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 pm

How much are you up?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Around 100 today. Long week ahead.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Putting my bets on at the beginning of the day and that's it this year. Day 1 did not go well.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:33 am

An interesting day today, Black Tear nutting Concertista right on the jam stick before Saint Sam only found an 80/1 rag too good. Day 2 is loaded with quality but also devoid of a certain spark. In the first I do like Gaillard de Mesnil 9/4 to lower the flag of the favourite Bob Olinger and in the 230 I think Guard Your Dreams could run well at 10/1. Either side of that race the two favourites should really win and in the last I marginally prefer Sir Gerhard of the top two in the betting in what could be a two horse race. The 415 is a race to throw a few each bullets at - mine are Chosen Mate 8/1, Us and Them 14/1, Bun Doran 33/1 and Or Jaune De Somoza 33/1.

Interested to hear what anyone else fancies?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 pm

I'm living vicariously through you!

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 am

Not the best day yesterday but it can't always be sunshine and bubbles. Guard Your Dreams just ran into the top 7 and Sir Gerhard did indeed turn over the odds on favourite in the bumper. Hard to be too confident today but with lots of top 6 and top 7 races, Ive thrown a few bullets around at big prices. Got a couple of big fancies tomorrow so just chucking a few quid around today for an interest and hope for a couple of places.

155 Spiritofthegames ew top 7 (20/1) and v small tickle on Kansas City Chief ew top 7 (40/1)
Race 4 I've chanced Barcadys ew top 5 at 40/1
Race 6 you'll get top 6 if you look around - Happy Diva (25/1) and Huntsmans Cross (40/1). If spiritofthegames runs well then I will add Oldgrangewood (same trainer)
Race 7 - Kilfilium Cross small ew top 6 at 18/1 and Storm Control 16/1 ew

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:22 am

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm

His last horse ended up falling too! Great sell by him. Spiritofthegames finished 8 today - very frustrating as he was the biggest bet - but Hunstmans Cross nabbed 6th at 40/1 and Storm Control managed to get into the places too at 16/1. Tomorrow I am quite strong on these

Zanahiyr - Race 1 - Boring favourite but strongest fancy of the week. could be a star.
Small goes in a wide open race 2 - Buildmeupabuttercup and You raised me up - both ew
Race 4 - Cheltenham Gold Cup - Al Boum Photo and Minella Indo ew
Race 6 - Elimay is odds on favouirte but I think she should win
Race 7 - Biggest bet of the week on Gabynako at 8/1 (already into 6/1 and will go shorter)