Body building and weight training

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Body building and weight training

Post by Dr. Bishop » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 pm

nufc4life wrote:How am I retarded enough you tatey and how am i lying about the juice program I think you're jealous
<griff> <guffaw>
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:29 pm

I miss Nufc4Life
<rose>
<cry>

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 am

I'm looking to gain (only a little bit of) muscle, but more importantly slim down and look shredded. What do I do, you expert cunts?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 am

Stop eating you fat f***

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 am

How fat are you, and how much do you want to lose?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:08 am

I'm not fat, just wanna look shredded

I dunno how much I weigh, but as an example I'm slimmer than DiCaprio here
SpoilerShow
but not slim slim...

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 am

Sir Bobby wrote:I'm looking to gain (only a little bit of) muscle, but more importantly slim down and look shredded. What do I do, you expert c****?

Most beginners to the fitness world have one of three goals - they want to stop being fat, they want to stop being skinny, or they want to "tone up". All of these goals are achieved the same way - by losing fat and building muscle. The only difference between these three goals is the degree to which each applies. Improving the way you look is 80% about diet. To lose fat, gain muscle, or "tone up", you have to eat correctly. This should be your first priority and your only priority for a period of time. Getting your diet in check is that important.

A quick note about the term "toning". Toning is just a matter of losing fat and building muscle. Fat does not "turn into" muscle - fat is lost, and muscle is gained. Additionally, losing 3lbs of fat is done in exactly the same way as losing 30lbs of fat. Building 3lbs of muscle is done in exactly the same way as building 30lbs of muscle. It's just a matter of degrees. So for those looking to "tone" - be aware that you actually have two goals: to lose a small amount of fat and gain a small amount of muscle.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:28 am

Beatski wrote:
Sir Bobby wrote:I'm looking to gain (only a little bit of) muscle, but more importantly slim down and look shredded. What do I do, you expert c****?

Most beginners to the fitness world have one of three goals - they want to stop being fat, they want to stop being skinny, or they want to "tone up". All of these goals are achieved the same way - by losing fat and building muscle. The only difference between these three goals is the degree to which each applies. Improving the way you look is 80% about diet. To lose fat, gain muscle, or "tone up", you have to eat correctly. This should be your first priority and your only priority for a period of time. Getting your diet in check is that important.

A quick note about the term "toning". Toning is just a matter of losing fat and building muscle. Fat does not "turn into" muscle - fat is lost, and muscle is gained. Additionally, losing 3lbs of fat is done in exactly the same way as losing 30lbs of fat. Building 3lbs of muscle is done in exactly the same way as building 30lbs of muscle. It's just a matter of degrees. So for those looking to "tone" - be aware that you actually have two goals: to lose a small amount of fat and gain a small amount of muscle.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<cheers>

I have an atrocious diet so I'll start there then, and give that link a look <ok>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 am

I always think its better to lose the fat first then build muscle. Its difficult to do it the other way as you end up burning the muscle preferentially to fat <ok>

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:55 am

Entry-level question here.

Not looking to body build per se, but if I was looking to basically improve my all round physique and fitness (from someone who is pretty skinny), would I be able to achieve that with only various dumbbell exercises and regular running, or should I just join a gym and use the machines there?
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:49 am

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:Entry-level question here.

Not looking to body build per se, but if I was looking to basically improve my all round physique and fitness (from someone who is pretty skinny), would I be able to achieve that with only various dumbbell exercises and regular running, or should I just join a gym and use the machines there?
You can achieve a lot with dumbells, barbells and a bit of cardio.
REQUIEM

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:56 am

Get yourself a bench and you should be able to hit most muscle groups and make a bit of progress at home. Just be careful when you first start you don't over-do it and injure yourself at home with no-one to help you.
I know a guy who had been working out for about a year, one day he overdid the bench press, couldn't lift it for his last few reps and got trapped under it.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:39 am

I'd avoid joining the gym to use the "machines" - you'll achieve far more doing free weights. Powerlifting is the way to go if you're wanting to get stronger. Stick to your compound movements and main lifts (chest press, squats, deadlifts) and make sure you work your legs at least once a week.

If you're wanting to get shredded then you need to watch your diet and be rigid with it. Stay on top of your cardio and do HIIT training and fasted cardio as it burns more fat.

In addition to weight training take some sort of protein supplement if you're wanting to add a bit of size. The lower the amount of fat and suger per serving the better. "True Whey" by myprotein and "Informed Whey" by Bulk Powders are both good examples and I've used both so can vouch for them.
Last edited by Chappy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:13 pm

<ok> Thank you.

Going to get some weights then <diva>.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:38 pm

SUNS OUT, GUNS OUT #50ShadesOfGains

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:39 am

Summer 2016 prep starts here

Tony Soprano

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Bought this.

Can't wait to get massive.

Tony Soprano

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:49 am

I have those weights gathering dust in my bedroom