NHL/Ice Hockey

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

NHL/Ice Hockey

Post by jpg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Anyone else a fan/ into it? Probably my second favourite sport to watch after Football. Ice Hockey in general is a pretty underrated sport IMO; exciting, high tempo, great to watch- no draws means the game is always there to be won.

As far as in the States it's definitely better than Basketball/NFL but it'll always be behind those two and Baseball. Seems to have had its day in this country and now there's a kind of a depressing feel to it over here. Parents would always take me to see Durham wasps before they moved up to Newcastle. Very much anticipating Stanley Cup this year.

[youtube]cRH5oEIp6so[/youtube]

[youtube]hLsOV22s3oU[/youtube]

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: NHL/Ice Hockey

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am

I went to the first ever game involving the New Jersey Devils when I was a kid and we used to go to the majority of all the home matches in a season.

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 am

Boston Bruins <awe>
Zdano Chara <love>

I love the NHL prefer the NBA but NHL is still awesome
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 pm

outre-merTOON wrote:I went to the first ever game involving the New Jersey Devils when I was a kid and we used to go to the majority of all the home matches in a season.
Was this during the 'Mickey Mouse Organisation' years? <laugh>
KingoStarr wrote:Boston Bruins <awe>
Zdano Chara <love>

ToonForum official Chara fan club <smooch> <diva>

He's an absolute machine- 6ft9! <****>

[youtube]yIjie-Te2JM[/youtube]

But anyways yeah I'm a Bruins fan. There's just something about Boston sports teams that I'm drawn to, it's a great sporting city- Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots...

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 am

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
outre-merTOON wrote:I went to the first ever game involving the New Jersey Devils when I was a kid and we used to go to the majority of all the home matches in a season.
KingoStarr wrote:Boston Bruins <awe>
Zdano Chara <love>

But anyways yeah I'm a Bruins fan. There's just something about Boston sports teams that I'm drawn to, it's a great sporting city- Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots...
Yeah <cry>

I still loved them though.

Gretsky will always be a ******* **** in my eyes for that comment even though I had no idea what a ******* **** was at that time because I was only 8 or 9 year old. I think I called him a poo head at time for insulting the Devils. <scratch>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:06 pm

outre-merTOON wrote:
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:

Yeah <cry>

I still loved them though.

Gretsky will always be a ******* **** in my eyes for that comment even though I had no idea what a ******* **** was at that time because I was only 8 or 9 year old. I think I called him a poo head at time for insulting the Devils. <scratch>
Kind of the pot calling the kettle black considering teams always moved around back then (and still do now). It must be devastating if you're a massive fan of a team which then gets moved to the other side of the country under a different name. <erm>

I quite like the Devils- wanted them to win the Stanley Cup last year but the Kings were on fire.

PepperJack
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by PepperJack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:28 am

I was an Atlanta Thrashers fan as I went to a game when I was over there but they buggered off to Winnipeg

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 am

PepperJack wrote:I was an Atlanta Thrashers fan as I went to a game when I was over there but they buggered off to Winnipeg
Nice! Though it has to be said their home kit was one of the worst I've seen! <laugh>

But yeah, Winnipeg got their Jets back after becoming the Phoenix Coyotes- weird how franchising works...

PepperJack
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by PepperJack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
PepperJack wrote:I was an Atlanta Thrashers fan as I went to a game when I was over there but they buggered off to Winnipeg
Nice! Though it has to be said their home kit was one of the worst I've seen! <laugh>

But yeah, Winnipeg got their Jets back after becoming the Phoenix Coyotes- weird how franchising works...
Yeh it wasn't the best <laugh> Although I did like the red number they had a few years back. When I was in Sheffield I went to a Steelers game as I wanted to see some hockey, safe to say it was nothing like the NHL <disgrace>

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Detroit Red Wings <awe>

Brendan Shanahan
Chris Chelios
Steve Yzerman
Chris Osgood
Dominik Hasek
Curtis Joseph
Nicklas Lindstrom

Those were the good old days! <awe>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:Detroit Red Wings <awe>

Brendan Shanahan
Chris Chelios
Steve Yzerman
Chris Osgood
Dominik Hasek
Curtis Joseph
Nicklas Lindstrom

Ah yes, Detroit. How the mighty have fallen!

1-0 down to the Ducks in the play-offs.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:Detroit Red Wings <awe>

Brendan Shanahan
Chris Chelios
Steve Yzerman
Chris Osgood
Dominik Hasek
Curtis Joseph
Nicklas Lindstrom

I know <wah>

It had to happen at some point though, that team was so dominant and so good to watch <awe> I remember having to tape their games due to the (obvious) time difference and i was still in school at the time so i had to watch it after i got home and by that time i already knew the score, and when that happens there's no real point watching the whole game, i just fast forwarded to the goals. <roll>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:

I know <wah>

It had to happen at some point though, that team was so dominant and so good to watch <awe> I remember having to tape their games due to the (obvious) time difference and i was still in school at the time so i had to watch it after i got home and by that time i already knew the score, and when that happens there's no real point watching the whole game, i just fast forwarded to the goals. <roll>
The Red Wings just remind me of Dr Cox from Scrubs and his die-hard love for them <laugh>

The time difference is a bummer indeed. Can normally catch a whole game on the weekend as they are played in the afternoon over there. However it's impossible to follow the puck on a shoddy firstrow.eu stream so it's pretty pointless <erk>

I've got the NHL app on my iPhone- can check it each morning and it has the game highlights (minus the fights <disgrace>) which is pretty sweet. <ok>

PepperJack
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by PepperJack » Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Red Wings @ Blackhawks tonight, think i'll watch it

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Blackhawks could win the Stanley Cup tonight @ Boston but I think the Bruins will force it to game 7. Got my fingers crossed!

LET'S GO BRUINS!

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Bruins to win in Game 7

Well thats more hope than prediction
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Absolutely s*** ending to the Stanley Cup, so underwhelming (unless you're a Chicago fan!). It was a s*** game 6- everybody was expecting it to go to game 7 and hoping for a better performance from both sides. The Bruins were woeful, considering how well they had played in the play-offs; sweeping Penguins and coming back from 4-1 down in the last 3rd vs Toronto. After game 3 vs the Blackhawks I was certain they would go on to win it, should never have lost 6-5 at home in game 4 especially with their defence- it was a make or break game for them. I thought so long as they win game 6 they'd still have a good chance to snatch it in game 7. Instead, they gave a shoddy, unconvincing performance. Chara was a big let down. For all of their hype Chicago were hardly that impressive and they were there for the taking this series, shame we only turned up for 2 games out of 6.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 am

NHL IS BACK! <divax>

Matthieu
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by Matthieu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:29 am

Ice hockey is great. I cannot say I'm a "fan" as I don't follow it, but whenever I see a game, as I did last weekend. (I live in Minnesota) it's always a brilliant time. It's a fun sport to watch, and I'm lucky enough to have made mates here with some guys who are die-hard hockey people, which always makes it better.
Alan Pardew Historical Society

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Matthieu wrote:Ice hockey is great. I cannot say I'm a "fan" as I don't follow it, but whenever I see a game, as I did last weekend. (I live in Minnesota) it's always a brilliant time. It's a fun sport to watch, and I'm lucky enough to have made mates here with some guys who are die-hard hockey people, which always makes it better.
Underrated sport- especially in the USA. It's the most similar North American sport to football in terms of game style and atmosphere (minus the chanting). I've never really seen a 'bad' game, it's designed to be entertaining and exhilerating with powerplays, fights and overtimes. The Boston Bruins are my second favourite sports team after Newcastle but it's very difficult to follow them in England as games don't normally start until midnight, there is little TV coverage and internet streaming is so poor you can barely see the puck. <erm>

My girlfriend is American so I'm in the states every now and then where I get to watch far more games which is a plus. I'm going over around Christmas and I'm hoping we'll make a trip to Boston where (fingers crossed) we may go see my beloved Bruins. <divax> <love>