Boxing Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Bellew always comes across as a complete knob so I’d happily see him take a battering.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:58 pm
Bellew always comes across as a complete knob so I’d happily see him take a battering.
Well he got knocked the f*** out. He actually did alright in the early rounds to be fair to him, though.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Chappy wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Well he got knocked the **** out. He actually did alright in the early rounds to be fair to him, though.
So is that him retired now?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 pm
Chappy wrote:

Well he got knocked the **** out. He actually did alright in the early rounds to be fair to him, though.
So is that him retired now?
Supposed to be.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Chappy wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Was winning on two of the cards as well. Was a good fight, but Usyk too good, always was. Bellew too long in the tooth for a fight like that, started well but just doesn't have enough to fight that kind of fight for 12 rounds any more. As for him being a nob, the gobby scouser thing is who he is, of course it is, but I find him quite down to earth. Fighting family man with his heart on his sleeve. Was underrated as a technical boxer for years as well. Far less of a cronut than the likes of Froch and Haye, in my opinion. Will likely follow their example into sky punditry anyway.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 pm

To me Bellew was a boxer who made the most of his limited abilities and deserves a load of credit for attaining the match ups he did.

He was gobby for a simple reason; get his name mentioned and maintain it for the last years of his career.

He had enough about him to compete but never enough to truly win top bouts.

Well played to him but with all respect I'm glad he's retiring so others can step up and take his place.

Usyk will be battered when he steps up to the best of the heavy weight division. He'll likely beat a few bums but won't ever truly make a title challenge.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Fury Wilder tonight, if a peak fury turns up then Wilder doesn't stand a chance, but if the shower of s**** fury turns up like his last 2 he could get sparked, win win for me personally as one loud mouth will be silenced tonight, although I'd love to see Wilder get exposed all I've seen of him so far is an overrated windmill boxer with a padded record.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 am

Two twats, simultaneous ko would do me...

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 pm

That was a f***ing robbery...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:26 pm

Oh well. Fair play to Fury for giving some / all of his fee to helping the homeless tho.

I didn’t see the right but as Wilder put him on his ass twice it couldn’t have been that clear cut a Fury win surely?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:26 pm
Oh well. Fair play to Fury for giving some / all of his fee to helping the homeless tho.

I didn’t see the right but as Wilder put him on his ass twice it couldn’t have been that clear cut a Fury win surely?
The only rounds Wilder won were the ones he knocked Fury down in. Fury outboxed him and won every other round in my opinion.

The judge who had Wilder up by 4 needs f***ing banning.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:48 am

AJ made to look like a chump tonight. It’ll be very interesting to see how he comes back from it, if he’s even able to...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:28 am

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:48 am
AJ made to look like a chump tonight. It’ll be very interesting to see how he comes back from it, if he’s even able to...
I don’t follow boxing closely, but it’s one fight. He won’t be the first champion so suffer defeat and won’t be the last.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:18 am

Eddie Hearn has dropped a massive bollock not taking the big fights when he could... there goes his negotiating power. AJ no longer the top draw. He loses the rematch and it could be a couple of years before he gets another shot at the title.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 am

Chappy wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:18 am
Eddie Hearn has dropped a massive bollock not taking the big fights when he could... there goes his negotiating power. AJ no longer the top draw. He loses the rematch and it could be a couple of years before he gets another shot at the title.
You can't make the big fights when you have people like Wilder and Fury ducking, they are both fighting subpar opponents for penny's and turning down multi million contracts, at least Joshua has stepped in with quality opponents, when they didnt fight him he offers people like Ortiz 4 times as much as he's ever earned and he still ducks saying the "money isn't enough" whilst he was fighting people for thousands yet 5m wasn't enough. There is very little you can do when the so called best avoid you like the plague.

Last night AJ f***ed up, it didn't help that he's spent so long not knowing who his next opponent was but he should be winning that fight if he's wanting to step in with Wilder and Fury, personally I think he needs to drop a bit of the muscle as he runs on empty far too often after a short exchange, if anything I think he needed this defeat he knows what it tastes like now, he can lose some of the fear and box more confidently imo, he should easily dispatch Ruiz in a rematch if he's at his peak.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 am
Chappy wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:18 am
You can't make the big fights when you have people like Wilder and Fury ducking, they are both fighting subpar opponents for penny's and turning down multi million contracts, at least Joshua has stepped in with quality opponents, when they didnt fight him he offers people like Ortiz 4 times as much as he's ever earned and he still ducks saying the "money isn't enough" whilst he was fighting people for thousands yet 5m wasn't enough. There is very little you can do when the so called best avoid you like the plague.

Last night AJ f***ed up, it didn't help that he's spent so long not knowing who his next opponent was but he should be winning that fight if he's wanting to step in with Wilder and Fury, personally I think he needs to drop a bit of the muscle as he runs on empty far too often after a short exchange, if anything I think he needed this defeat he knows what it tastes like now, he can lose some of the fear and box more confidently imo, he should easily dispatch Ruiz in a rematch if he's at his peak.
Ducking? Dunno about that. Wilder, Fury and AJ are the top three dogs. AJ might have better names on his record but at least Wilder and Fury fought each other. Worth noting that Fury beat Klitschko before AJ did, and did it without getting tagged.

Eddie Hearn didn't want anything to do with Wilder or Fury, because he knows they're too dangerous. A loss against them and he no longer calls the shots.

Fury is the best out of all three imo... and after last night I'm leaning towards Wilder over AJ. If a guy like Ruiz can drop AJ then best believe Wilder can.

Agree with you on AJ's physique - looks impressive but carrying all that muscle around isn't easy... and isn't suited to a cardio heavy sport like boxing. You can get away with it more the heavyweight division - but it makes life a lot harder for you in the ring.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:13 pm

The Clash on the Dunes sounds a bit naff.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:34 am

AJ boxed really well last night and stuck to his game plan throughout.

Ruiz looked cumbersome and had the turning circle of an oil tanker and couldnt change his approach as AJ just moved and jabbed and refused to get in too close.

One or two instances in a few rounds where AJ seemed to forget his tactics and came within reach which Ruiz tried to capitalise on but it didn't happen often enough and Ruiz was never going to win.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Was a sensible approach from AJ. Showed he's grown as a boxer from his early days.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Yeah, definitely a more measured approach.

I don't know a huge amount about boxing, and you can have good ring craft without looking ripped, but Ruiz really looked like a disgrace to the sport with the 'condition' that he was in and his comments about how he prepared for the fight.