The F1 Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 pm

No huge surprise, he's been a miserable bastard for a few years now. He's engineered himself into poor drives (leaving McLaren and Ferrari at the wrong time) so can't pin all the blame on the team.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm

This is a good read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45189980

Crazy to think that that he is only 10 points away from being a five-time world champion - had he scored two more points in 2007, and four in 2010 and 2012 then he'd have had 5 World Championships.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Really good read. He's been my favourite ever F1 driver so I'm biased, but he's the best for me.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:32 pm

f***! Think he's alive!

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 am

Oof! That looked nasty

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Force India are out of administration and join the remainder of the season; albeit as a new team named Racing Point Force India and they start with 0 points overall.

This means that Williams will start the race and are not propping up the constructor table <divadance>

... until the end of the race where they'll be propping up the constructor table <divom>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Bloody hell! Crashes in the last two races have been BIG. The halo must have helped in both instances but why are the crashes so spectacular all of a sudden?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm
Bloody hell! Crashes in the last two races have been BIG. The halo must have helped in both instances but why are the crashes so spectacular all of a sudden?
Alonso crash was due to the plank caught coming from behind and the wheel lock tech working which threw him upwards as the wheels don't detach.

This latest crash is due to lack of grip in braking when the DRS flap didn't close causing a steering error due to braking imbalance and the flips were due to wheels not detaching fully in first impact and slide.

The reason wheels have the cables now is based on an Aussie GP years back where by a terrible fluke the wheel detached and went straight through a gap to allow staff access.

Under certain extreme duress, the wheels of cars a few years ago would have come away to eliminate this but seems new cars have extra strong tethers which exasperate the issue.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 pm
Micky Quim wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm
Alonso crash was due to the plank caught coming from behind and the wheel lock tech working which threw him upwards as the wheels don't detach.

This latest crash is due to lack of grip in braking when the DRS flap didn't close causing a steering error due to braking imbalance and the flips were due to wheels not detaching fully in first impact and slide.

The reason wheels have the cables now is based on an Aussie GP years back where by a terrible fluke the wheel detached and went straight through a gap to allow staff access.

Under certain extreme duress, the wheels of cars a few years ago would have come away to eliminate this but seems new cars have extra strong tethers which exasperate the issue.
It’s safer this way - although there’s an increased chance of the car rolling under intense lateral force, that’s not so bad as a) rolling allows more time for energy to dissipate which means lower chance of a brain injury from whiplash-type smashes (the biggest danger is lower back damage when you hit the floor) and b) reduces the chance of large debris hitting spectators, marshals or other drivers. Also the reason for the tethers is in GP2 or some similar formula, a driver was killed by a flying wheel from someone else’s incident.
I had the first custom w***

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:54 pm

<laugh> Alonso

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 pm

A while away yet, but may be meeting a mate who lives in NZ for the Chinese GP in 2020 <divax>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Monza time <divax>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Cracking race. Great drive from Hamilton, Merc strategists called it right today too.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:44 pm
Cracking race. Great drive from Hamilton, Merc strategists called it right today too.
Yes one of the best non-wet race for a good while, really enjoyed it. Great racing and interesting strategy.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Listened to the race on the BBC and I was glued to the coverage.

Great tactical battle from Mercedes and it payed off.

Glad Raikonnen finished the race given team warnings that his tyre was critical because he had a great race as well.

Can't help but think that Verstappen is going to get a rollicking for his behaviour today.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Tough to see Hamilton losing the title from this position.

Re: Verstappen, it doesn't matter whether he finishes 5th or 6th in the championship really, and him electing to fight Bottas (although pointless) in the grand scheme of things probably won't stop Red Bull finishing third in the constructors.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Grosjean has been disqualified from p6, Haas are going to appeal. Floor of the car not complying with regs apparently.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Reports saying that Kimi won't have a seat at Ferrari next season after he didn't win the Italian GP.

Looks like Vettel will get a new subservient number 2 team mate next year.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:53 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:28 pm
Reports saying that Kimi won't have a seat at Ferrari next season after he didn't win the Italian GP.

Looks like Vettel will get a new subservient number 2 team mate next year.
Shame. Hopefully someone like McLaren will pick him up, it'd be a great shame to lose him from the grid.