Half Life 3 confirmed?

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Half Life 3 confirmed?

Post by Lord Porpington » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't actually know if it has been confirmed but there's always rumours and things circulating the web, and the words "half life 3 confirmed", but never anything solid. This thread should be a place where we discuss whether or not it is actually going to be made, why it's taking so long and why there's no solid news from Valve about it.

Half Life 2 was voted game of the decade for 2000-2010. There were two successful episodes that followed. It's been 10 years since the first Half Life 2 game was first leaked, and 9 years since it was fully released. It's sold over 13 million copies.

Do valve really have a time limit in which they have to release Half Life 3 before anyone cares anymore? Or do you think it will sell massive amounts of copies even if they release it another 2,5 or 10 years time?

In my opinion, the latest they can really release it is when the steam box is out. It's the console valve are making to compete with the likes of the playstation and xbox, and they will need something to back up it's appeal to the public, and one of those things could be Half Life 3, which could be released free with the purchase of a steambox. This would increase the sales of a steambox dramatically by the amount of attention it will draw from anyone who loves the Half Life games from playing it on any other console or on the PC.

Seeing Half Life 3 and Steambox in the same advertisements will be good for Valve. We all know we don't look for VALVE or Steambox, we immediately look for the words Half life 3.

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Half Life 3 confirmed?

Post by B4E » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 pm

RIP

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:52 pm

they're too busy working on ricochet 2 at the minute

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Beatski wrote:they're too busy working on ricochet 2 at the minute

;)

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm

I can see Half Life 3 coming out with Steambox, would just be the perfect time to release it.

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am

Jaiston wrote:I can see Half Life 3 coming out with Steambox, would just be the perfect time to release it.
It's seems like they've taken the piss for a tad too long though. People were riled up for it a 2/3 years ago, but now a lot of people have lost interest.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 am

Lord Porpington wrote:
Jaiston wrote:I can see Half Life 3 coming out with Steambox, would just be the perfect time to release it.
It's seems like they've taken the piss for a tad too long though. People were riled up for it a 2/3 years ago, but now a lot of people have lost interest.
not at all, its still hotly anticipated, i dont see how people were riled up for it a couple of years ago but not now, at all. and they've hardly 'taken the piss' by wanting to release the game when it's ready.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Beatski wrote:
Lord Porpington wrote:
not at all, its still hotly anticipated, i dont see how people were riled up for it a couple of years ago but not now, at all. and they've hardly 'taken the piss' by wanting to release the game when it's ready.
To be fair I'm past caring that much about it

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
Beatski wrote:
so you won't buy it when it comes out?

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Beatski wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
so you won't buy it when it comes out?
If it looks unmissable, then I will, but it will have to do more to convince me to buy it than it would have done a few years ago.

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:18 pm

10 years is kind of taking the piss, but I'm willing to wait as long as it takes.

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Just look at Duke Nukem, peoples interest didn't really wane...shame it was one of the worst games ever when it came out <laugh>

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 pm

I think they'd be stupid never to make it, but I think they need time to make it something revolutionary.

Valve have enough money. Of course they still want to make more, but it's not as if they desperately need it and are in a race against time. They can easily release left for dead 3 and other games to make cash.

Half Life 3 will be about the fans and the experience. They are going to announce it in a grand way, and make it something like we've never seen before.

Half life 1 and 2 changed the FPS gaming world. HL3 needs to do the same.

I would laugh at the reactions of people if it just randomly popped up on steam one day <laugh>

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Lord Porpington wrote:
I would laugh at the reactions of people if it just randomly popped up on steam one day <laugh>

that would be amazing

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Lord Porpington wrote: I would laugh at the reactions of people if it just randomly popped up on steam one day <laugh>
I'd love it if it just appeared on Steam Greenlight
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 am

Fully expect a Half life 3 Steambox at some point.

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Do you think they could release Half Life 3 exclusively for Steam Machines to try an tempt people to change over from PC's to Steam Machines?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Lord Porpington wrote:Do you think they could release Half Life 3 exclusively for Steam Machines to try an tempt people to change over from PC's to Steam Machines?
no, i think they literally couldnt.

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Lord Porpington wrote:Do you think they could release Half Life 3 exclusively for Steam Machines to try an tempt people to change over from PC's to Steam Machines?
Definitely not, they would be stupid to do so and I'm certain that hasn't crossed their mind.

Free Half Life 3 with Steam Machines maybe, or pre-installed.

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 am

I personally think that they were making Episode 3, then realised it was taking too long and wasn't good enough for the final Half Life installment, so they scrapped it and decided to relieve themselves of the pressure of time and make Half Life 3 instead.

Episode 3 would have had a time limit. There's no way they can release a single episode of Half Life now for all this time.

Valve aren't good with time restraints, but they are usually good at making a fantastic finished product. I believe Half Life 3 has been in the works for over 6 years now. They want to make something groundbreaking.

It wont be for profit, it will be about their reputation. They have endless streams of revenue coming in from steam. They don't need more money, they need to stay in touch with the gaming community, and Half Life is their biggest brand. It's bigger than Portal, L4D, TF tied together.