Destiny

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Destiny

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:20 pm

We have a ToonForum Clan - http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/219267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A quick search didn't show a thread on this yet. <scratch>

The beta details have come out - http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Destiny-Bet ... ?aid=11643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Starts 17/07 on PS, 23/07 on Xbox (both at 10AM PDT / 6PM UK) and they say it'll end on 26/07, but they did extend the alpha so maybe not...

The alpha was fun, and if you want a beta code you just need to pre-order at a participating retailer (you should still be able to cancel after getting your code, if you choose to).

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Destiny

Post by Lidl » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Looks a bit like a humourless version of Borderlands to me. Could work out alright, I'll probably pick it up when I get a PS4 just cos I love those kind of games.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:30 pm

There's definitely a heavy Borderlands feel to it, although the gun play is wayyy better and enemies actually have something resembling intelligence, but there's less loot and floating numbers. And I'll happily pass on Borderlands' brand of humour.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Its Halo/Borderlands/Mass Effect basically. A good combination of them all, except not really the 'Bungie MMO' it was made out to be.
The Apla testing was pretty sweet still!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 am

It has been today for over 9 hours, Bungie. Stop telling me to come back on the 17th for my codes. <fist>

Also everyone gets a bunch of beta codes, so there'll be plenty of spares going around. If anyone needs a PS4 code let me know.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:32 pm

I go the game during Aplha testing, so im hoping the download tonight wont be as big! Looking forward to it though since this phase is a lot more structured!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

Two PS4 Europe codes going spare here. Just finishing the last 2% of the download now.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Took hours for me to install the damn thing somehow...

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Beta is now open to all on PS3/PS4/360/One for the last few days. No codes needed.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:11 am

I have a ps4, and at the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is Beta?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 am

Beta testing is the last stage of testing before release, usually released to a limited audience (closed beta) who combined put in far more hours of use than any internal testing team can do, and to test how the real world receives it. Sometimes they'll open up to everyone (open beta), usually when they're wanting to test the server capacity ahead of release. In games this has got a bit corrupted and lots of developers and players see a "beta" primarily as a demo/marketing tool.

The Destiny beta ends tonight so you're probably a bit late, but it gives you access to 3 races, 3 classes, a few early game missions, some player-versus-player and has a level cap of 8.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Cal wrote:Beta testing is the last stage of testing before release, usually released to a limited audience (closed beta) who combined put in far more hours of use than any internal testing team can do, and to test how the real world receives it. Sometimes they'll open up to everyone (open beta), usually when they're wanting to test the server capacity ahead of release. In games this has got a bit corrupted and lots of developers and players see a "beta" primarily as a demo/marketing tool.

The Destiny beta ends tonight so you're probably a bit late, but it gives you access to 3 races, 3 classes, a few early game missions, some player-versus-player and has a level cap of 8.
Gotcha - cheers, now I know <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tomski
Le Championski
Le Championski

Post by Tomski » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 am

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:33 pm

Anyone got it? From what I've seen it's got Halo's good shooting mechanics an is pretty, but a little hollow. Repetitive missions based on sparse loot. Only play fps* if the shooting facilitates something else interesting, a story, cool mechanics etc

*or are timeslitters
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:15 am

I've got it and like it. Played the 'alpha' and beta and it's improved a fair amount since those, in particular the sparse loot (if referring to collect x quests) is now abundant, but those quests tend only to be the filler missions in 'patrol' mode. It's Halo mixed with Mass Effect set in Borderlands style zones with Guild Wars' online philosophy. It's not mechanically complex, but it does what it tries to very well. The long-term hold probably comes down to whether you enjoy the PVP or end-game raids/gearing up.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 am

Got it but won't be able to play it until December <grim>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by ScholarlySloth » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Had a good time on it yesterday, though I still feel like I'm playing the beta. I'll have to decide once I've passed level 8 and been to new areas whether it's good or not.

We need to team up Cal <awe>
Lurker

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by B4E » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Online was quite fun from the two games I played.

I'm only Level 7 but the story is so s*** I've considered skipping cutscenes more than once. Hope it improves. Basically Halo with a Borderlands co-op feel. Hive = Flood.
RIP

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:38 pm

ScholarlySloth wrote:Had a good time on it yesterday, though I still feel like I'm playing the beta. I'll have to decide once I've passed level 8 and been to new areas whether it's good or not.

We need to team up Cal <awe>
Any time we're on (or any other PS4 users see me on) feel free to throw out invites.

We have a PS4 & Xbox clan/group now, just to see how that goes. You can join as many groups as you like, but only have one set as your clan at a time, or something like that. http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/219267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:38 am

The Moon strike mission. <awe>