H1Z1

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

H1Z1

Post by L8RS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Early access came out on Thursday. You can get that for £15 or wait 6 months to play it for free, I believe that's true.

It's basically a Zombie Survival MMO, like Day Z but a lot less clunky and has build basing in too. So more like the Arma 3 mod than the Standalone.

I've got my copy but haven't had a minute to play it. Anyone else out there been on it?

Let the Sky millions roar the team home. Let the bulging cash account suck a goal into the Gallowgate net when it’s most needed.
I’m out; let them sink or swim without me, for the near future at least.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: H1Z1

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:46 pm

It sounded interesting when it was announced (mostly due to SOE), apparently it's plagued with issues at the moment though. I'll happily wait for it to be stable and free, then if it's worth it put some money in.

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Well they're constantly patching. The developers are doing pretty well with listening to the community so far. Whether they'll keep it up, I don't know but would be nice to think they would.

Let the Sky millions roar the team home. Let the bulging cash account suck a goal into the Gallowgate net when it’s most needed.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Star-Lord Mehdi wrote:The developers are doing pretty well with listening to the community so far.
Couldnt be further from the truth...

Theyve intentially lied to the entire community as soon as the game hit about it not being 'pay 2 win' and then completely going back on what they said.

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:33 pm

How is it pay to win?

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:06 pm

You can buy weapons and ammo from airdrops instead of only being able to find things in the game yoruself.

They made it crystal clear on multiple occasions they wouldnt be doing anything like this because they didnt agree with pay 2 win games.

Fast forward a little while after people already paid to play the game early and therefore cant go back on their decision and get a refund, and theyve made it pay2win.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Mini review -
Didn't get off to the greatest of starts with a log in issue which took 4 hours to fix.
I find this game way more playable than Standalone on release.Sure there's bugs but from what i've seen not game breaking bugs like standalone.

The main issue for me is the amount of servers which are being addressed tonight through to Thursday i believe, with more European servers added.

As for the pay to win, if this is pay to win it's a f***ed up way of winning.
The air drops can be heard for miles they drop a fair distance from the player that has purchased them, you cannot buy one unless the server is 30% full and to get weapons is rare.

Every airdrop i've been too apart from the 10 zombies there has been at least 4 other players (one had 12) and i managed to steal one which sure wasn't pay to win for the guy that bought it.
To my disappointment the crate was not full of m4's,sniper rifles,scopes and nades but shitty food,water and meds after getting that i went on to wipe the whole server out and won the game*.

The airdrops have definitely got the knees jerking but they are a server event meant to bring players to one spot and fight for the loot( a bit like wasteland missions).
I agree that they have went back on what they said about weapons (and deserve being called out for it),it should also be noted that they have lowered the weapon count and will likely keep tweaking it till full release (it is in alpha remember).

Final thoughts - good with a few mates for a few hours here and there but personally i doubt i'll ever buy another Zombie survival game.
The genre for me is comparable to heroin,you get your first hit (dayz mod) and no matter how many times you use (rust/7 days to die/standalone/H1Z1) you just never get that rush that you had from your first hit.

* I didn't i died to a bear 10 mins later <erk>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:41 am

Apparently the airdrop for some popular streamer on the day of launch which prompted the whole outrage was the result of at least 3 bugs. They're only meant to drop when there's enough people in the area, they're not meant to drop right in front of you, and they're meant to spawn hostile zombies. Airdrops of this kind, which create an event to fight over rather than just easy loot, have been known about for a long time.

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 am

Yeah, I saw a guy having to fight off 12 zombies, so I just looked the other way and let him get on with it.. fairly sure that guy died but I didn't go back as I expected more survivors to keep and try and nick it.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Im fine with creating area events that just pop up (although someone paying to create one still isnt perfect) as theyre in all sorts of MMOs these days, Guild Wars did it, Destiny does it, etc...

Ive never played Day Z but a few of my mates are always on it. Are any of these zombie apocalypse stylle semi-MMOs worth it in the long term?

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 am

So, a friend and I were online last night. We were freshly spawned, so we had clothes and a flashlight. We headed into the outskirts of a town just to see if we could find any loot but found nothing. Three guys spotted us and started chasing us, despite it being of no use to them to kill us. I got shot in the back from distance but managed to get away, whilst my friend headed into the trees. We both escaped and met up in the West side of the town where there were a lot of trees to get cover behind and a hill, so we could scout the area as we moved North. We suddenly heard very loud gunfire and lots of it, so we thought it was the same guys who had chased us. We saw people moving North through the city towards the supermarket, so decided to hold our ground. They eventually moved on, so we moved down into the town, trying to be stealthy, so we wouldn't alert anyone of our presence. More loud gunfire. We retreated to the treeline again but started to move around the North side of the town, just to find the people we though were causing the ruckus. All of a sudden, three guys ran up the main road in pursuit of a fourth guy.

Pursuer's voice over chat, 'YOU BETTER CATCH HIM IF YOU WANT THAT BACKPACK'. They had obviously spotted a guy who had slightly better stuff than them, with no way of defending himself, so decided they wanted his backpack. They ran off into the woods, so we thought the town was clear of hoodlums. More loud gunfire. Maybe seven or eight rounds, which is unusual. He's probably taken about twenty shots or so by now. We moved towards an apartment block to get to a high point to see what was going on and who was shooting. Yet more loud gunfire. We were suspicious, we've ran across about four people with guns throughout our entire time of playing the game and this guy has what seems like an endless supply of ammo. We head into the apartment block and up the stairs to the roof. South east of us, we see a guy on a rooftop, about 100 meters away, who is shooting at anyone in his sight. Luckily, we'd trailed through the west side, so he had no idea we were there watching his every move. After going through the woods earlier, all we had on our bodies was a bow and arrow and about 8 arrows between us. So, my friend decided to take a shot at him, but it fell short about five yards, nonetheless a very decent effort.

Over mic we heard someone asking him to come down. 'Come down from there, instead of hiding.' Sounds like this guy on the roof had been shooting at the other guy and he wanted to avenge something. Maybe the guy on the roof had taken out his friend. The gunman on the roof replied with something like, 'Naaah, you come up here and we'll sort it out up here.' He refused, apparently the gunman had a friend with him on the roof but it was too far away for us to make out a second person. I took three shots and missed, leaving me with one arrow left. The guy who was down on the straight must have come up to try and catch him off guard but was blown away as soon as he got out onto the roof. With my last arrow, I lined up my shot. Aiming way over the guys head because of course, the arrow had to bridge the 100m gap just to reach it's intended destination. I fired. It sailed through the air for what seemed like an eternity, I quickly switched back to third person, so I could see the arrow clearer as it flew towards it's target. BAM. HEADSHOT. He was down, the gunman was down. DEAD. Loud cries of excitement came from my friend and I. Had we hit the jackpot with a one in a million shot?

We held our ground for a moment to discuss our next move, forgetting that he had a friend. *footsteps on the floor below us*. We stationed ourselves next to the door, waiting.. the door opened. 'YOU KILLED MY FRIEND', he cried. Close quarter combat is difficult, so we were all running around, missing each other. I think I did more damage to my friend than to the enemy. We held him off for a short while and he retreated downstairs. So we headed down after him, no sign of him. We creeped towards the apartment block were the loot was. An arrow went flying past my head, I was unarmed and he was heading towards me with his bow wielded, luckily for me, he forgot that there was two of us and my friend took him out. WE HAD HIT THE JACKPOT. For some reason this guy didn't take his 'friends' stuff to kill us off. We went up through the apartment complex and got everything we could need.

We'll probably die within minutes of logging back on but it was great fun in the process.

[/story]

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:16 pm

B+ (no zombies)

So is this game similar to Day Z then where everyone is just a dick to everyone else or do zombies actually play a part in it?

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Zombies do play a part in it. If you cause heat, zombies will be lured towards you. IE. Making loads of noise. If you aren't using a mic, the chances are people will kill you.. but if you speak to them and tell them what's going on, they tend to be more cooperative.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:24 pm

It just looks like a s*** version of Day Z.
REQUIEM

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Ive tried watching a few streams on twitch but only ever see grainy mud coloured screens and a couple of people being d***s to another few players.

No zombies.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Nick wrote:Ive tried watching a few streams on twitch but only ever see grainy mud coloured screens and a couple of people being d***s to another few players.

No zombies.

Save your money wait till it's free to play.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Oh yeah, i certainly wouldnt pay for this early access rubbish. Then again, theres a lot of different zombie related games (as always...) out soon, so might not even bother. Will probably end up with something like Dead Island instead.

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 am

Dead Island is woeful.

H1Z1 is probably the most fun I've had playing on the PC with this type of genre. DayZ SA was woeful and still is woeful.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 am

You're woeful. Dead Island was fun until the third time through the sewers. <wenger>

L8RS
Botman's Cowl

Post by L8RS » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 am

Cal wrote:You're woeful. Dead Island was fun until the third time through the sewers. <wenger>
Dead Island was fun until you got to the lifeguard patrol base thing. After that, the novelty wore off and it was just a button-bashathon.