Innocent until proven guilty - Mendy, etc

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Innocent until proven guilty - Mendy, etc

Post by Toon Ireland » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:38 pm

What about Mendy on a free??? He's been cleared of everything. Be interested to see how things pan out for him. His name, career and reputation have suffered a lot and all for nothing it would seem

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Transfer Rumours/Wishlist

Post by Colly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:43 pm

Yeah he can f*** right off.

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:45 pm

Why?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:11 pm

It’s so difficult with footballers. If it was anyone else you’d say “get back to work, give them another chance, they were found not guilty” etc. so there is an argument as to why that shouldn’t be the case for highly paid footballers. He has been found not guilty after all.

Greenwood is tricky as the tapes/recordings show that despite never being found guilty of anything (as it never got that far), he’s a pretty despicable individual.

For the record I don’t want Mendy as regardless of him being found not guilty, he’s clearly a very questionable character and doesn’t exactly seem like the type of person we want in the squad.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:22 pm

Mendy has been proven to have done nothing wrong and I'm sure he won't be so promiscuous in the future.
He definitely deserves a second chance but I think he'll be wanting to get the hell out of this country.
Greenwood's case is different and not relatable.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:03 pm

I think as Benny reflected you absolutely have to recognise that he was found not guilty (and to be clear, "not guilty", not innocent. Twitter is full of idiots calling for jail sentences for his "false accusers"), and even if he had been found guilty as someone who used to work in the justice system I firmly believe in rehabilitation.

However, despite our shitty ownership status it appears from our end of season walkabouts that we're a family club, and a player who openly takes girls to his house, plies them with drink, and puts himself in the position of having 8 separate rape or sexual assault charges against him doesn't really fit into that. Maybe when we were s****, but the richest club in the world shouldn't have to picking up that kind of baggage any more.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:14 pm

Totally agree Colly. I also think professional athletes should be held to a different standard than random Joe the plumber. Obviously the legal system is what it is, but if you're making millions of pounds, in the public eye, and representing a community and a multi-billion pound brand, you really can't be mucking around in those questionable situations. Doesn't mean you have to lock people up wrongly or without contrition, but I also don't think they're entitled to being employed with those wages for the top football clubs in the world.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:25 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:03 pm
I think as Benny reflected you absolutely have to recognise that he was found not guilty (and to be clear, "not guilty", not innocent. Twitter is full of idiots calling for jail sentences for his "false accusers"), and even if he had been found guilty as someone who used to work in the justice system I firmly believe in rehabilitation.

However, despite our shitty ownership status it appears from our end of season walkabouts that we're a family club, and a player who openly takes girls to his house, plies them with drink, and puts himself in the position of having 8 separate rape or sexual assault charges against him doesn't really fit into that. Maybe when we were s****, but the richest club in the world shouldn't have to picking up that kind of baggage any more.
Worked in the justice system myself for a lot of years and i'm pretty sure he's innocent (proven to be
) stupid yes guilty/not innocent no.
He put himself in those positions without a doubt and i also can't remember it being proven in court that he plied people with drink, he was accused of that and again proven innocent of it.
Should his accusers be accountable mmm not sure on that one.
As for us signing him i like you doubt we want that baggage.

Edit: it took the jury 3 hrs 15 mins before reaching their conclusion which is very quick indeed for a verdict.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:46 pm

On a related note, I find it amazing that in such cases the accused is allowed to be publicly named before any verdict is reached (regardless of if they’re a celebrity or a normal person on the street). I know in reality that the name would surface anyway, but even if someone is found not guilty of an accusation like this mud sticks and it will follow people around and ruin aspects of their life for a long time.

If someone is found guilty then 100% identify them, but I just find it very unfair that an accuser can (understandably) be protected but someone who’s not proven to have done anything can be named.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:58 pm

Where the famous are concerned you just have to look at Huw Edwards and the feeding frenzy around wanting him named.
It's an unfortunate part of being charged for a crime you'll be named whether you're innocent or guilty unless ordered by a judge or Magistrate.

I mean it was pretty obvious from early on in this case that the accusations were a crock of s*** so cases like these also raise the question about the accusers and legal action for lying.
It's difficult and you have to tread carefully as you have to think of genuine victims and the consequences of prosecuting.
Someone like him has the money to haul them through the civil courts and no doubt he will.
Last edited by Tsi on Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:04 pm

Tsi wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:25 pm
Colly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:03 pm

However, despite our s***ty ownership status it appears from our end of season walkabouts that we're a family club, and a player who openly takes girls to his house, plies them with drink, and puts himself in the position of having 8 separate rape or sexual assault charges against him doesn't really fit into that. Maybe when we were s****, but the richest club in the world shouldn't have to picking up that kind of baggage any more.
Worked in the justice system myself for a lot of years and i'm pretty sure he's innocent (proven to be
He put himself in those positions without a doubt and i also can't remember it being proven in court that he plied people with drink, he was accused of that and again proven innocent of it.

Edit: it took the jury 3 hrs 15 mins before reaching their conclusion which is very quick indeed for a verdict.
Courts can't prove people innocent, verdicts are guilty or not guilty. And the drink thing he openly admitted.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:26 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:04 pm
Tsi wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:25 pm

Courts can't prove people innocent, verdicts are guilty or not guilty. And the drink thing he openly admitted.

You're talking about wording they don't use the term innocent but not guilty but they do find people innocent of crimes. I was using the term innocent as that's pretty much what he is and being found not guilty he is innocent or do you believe he/others found not guilty just got away with it? Courts use the term innocent until proven guilty everyday so not guilty means innocent like i said wording.
He admitted to there being a lot of drink at his parties big difference from saying he plied them with it.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:34 pm

Can a mod move this to pavels ebar as it has nothing really to do with transfers

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:48 pm

Please do, I'd be glad never to mention him again.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:50 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:48 pm
Same never a mod around when you want one though <fist>
Last edited by Tsi on Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:13 am

Tsi wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:50 pm
Colly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:48 pm
Same never a mod around when you want one though <fist>
I would say burn the mods <mob> but they haven't been proven guilty

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Re: Innocent until proven guilty - Mendy, etc

Post by Tsi » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:29 am

They were too busy watching love island with Benny <fist>