Joseph Kony

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Joseph Kony

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:50 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Do Invisible Children have some sort of oil interest that I'm totally unaware of? Or are you saying that you think they are being paid by a government or governments to gather support for their cause and give a justifiable reason to invade?
Maybe I'm missing some info on this but it's a bit of a leap isn't it? Are you not just seeing the word oil and seeing red?

Or maybe I'm missing your point altogether. I'm tired <cry>

Maybe you're tired <laugh>

Seriously though the whole campaign seems very suspicious to me considering : Kony has been inactive for 6 years , just 3/8th of the money they've received has actual gone to Africa etc.

It all sounds very politically and economically motivated to me and it wouldn't be the first time that the US invaded a country for oil or something of that sort would it? Seriously , of all the countries in the world , why Uganda?

Because it's oil rich? Perhaps.

Classic manipulations pf the emotions by the US government if you ask me. Classic Hollywood stuff.
So it is the latter of my guesses then? You're saying that Invisible Children started this campaign to get support for an eventual US invasion of Uganda? Presumably they're being given a backhander for this or something?
Uganda isn't the only country in the world with oil aspirations, keep in mind. I do see why you'd pick up on this but it just seems a little cynical to instantly link the word oil to US invasion. I don't think I'm being naive here either, which you probably will think. I guess we'll soon see if it turns out you are correct, but it just seems too much of a stretch for me.

5 Goals - Hesakmi
Prediction League Champion

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm not saying its definitely that but one shouldn't just dismiss it , I'm up for keeping all my options open but with USA having a history in doing exactly that , it would be a bit silly to completely rule it out.

I just can't see why they'd start this campaign , motivating their troops to work alongside the Ugandan army (who also have many rape , murder and slavery allegations to answer) etc. to catch a person who has been inactive for 6 years.

6 million people got killed in Congo , Armenians were massacred by the Turks and many other genocides have taken place yet all they want to talk about is Uganda , who agreed oil contracts with the likes of UK and USA just a few months ago.
Ryan Taylor Over The Wall , Ryan Taylor Over The Wall!
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:06 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:I'm not saying its definitely that but one shouldn't just dismiss it , I'm up for keeping all my options open but with USA having a history in doing exactly that , it would be a bit silly to completely rule it out.

I just can't see why they'd start this campaign , motivating their troops to work alongside the Ugandan army (who also have many rape , murder and slavery allegations to answer) etc. to catch a person who has been inactive for 6 years.

6 million people got killed in Congo , Armenians were massacred by the Turks and many other genocides have taken place yet all they want to talk about is Uganda , who agreed oil contracts with the likes of UK and USA just a few months ago.
I haven't seen the US government constantly talking about Uganda and I haven't seen the US government agree to any military intervention at all, just Invisible Children campaigning for it. Could you give me some good sources to read about this?

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 pm

skalpel wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:I'm not saying its definitely that but one shouldn't just dismiss it , I'm up for keeping all my options open but with USA having a history in doing exactly that , it would be a bit silly to completely rule it out.

I haven't seen the US government constantly talking about Uganda and I haven't seen the US government agree to any military intervention at all, just Invisible Children campaigning for it. Could you give me some good sources to read about this?
I know they haven't but it seems to me like they could be channelling that through Invisble Children. And they've already deployed a few hundred troops in Uganda (see the video).

It's not like it's that easy to provide you with direct quotes or sources from the White House is it? Not like I'll find a video of Obama saying we're going to invade Uganda and steal all the oil.

But considering the facts that :

1) just 3/8th of the money has gone to Africa

2) Kony has been inactive for 6 years. 6 years! Why are they campaigning against him now?

Seems too much of a coincidence that they just signed an oil agreement with Uganda during the time of the filming of this emotion manipulating and audience misleading video.
Last edited by 5 Goals - Hesakmi on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:
I know they haven't but it seems to me like they could be channelling that through Invisble Children. And they've already deployed a few hundred troops in Uganda (see the video).
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... eployments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes it's wikipedia, but you're ready to trust information on a video that you've already said you don't trust. So I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Wikipedia.
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:It's not like it's that easy to provide you with direct quoutes or sources from the White House is it? Not like I'll find a video of Obama saying we're going to invade Uganda and steal all the oil.
I'm not asking for that though, you said "all they want to talk about is Uganda", presumably you mean the US? Because the reason Invisible Children only want to talk about Uganda is that it's all they've ever talked about, for 8 years.
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:But considering the facts that :

1) just 3/8th of the money has gone to Africa

2) Kony has been inactive for 6 years. 6 years! Why are they campaigning against him now?

Seems to much of a coincidence that they just signed an oil agreement with Uganda during the time of the filming of this emotion manipulating and audience misleading video.
Presumably you mean Invisible Children when you say 'they'? I'm still unsure who you mean there. But IC Inc were actually founded for the specific purpose of campaigning against Kony, and they've been doing it for 8 years.

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Invisble Children themselves admitted that a few hundred American troops to be deployed over there so considering the whole thing is about them , I'm bound to believe them.

Why did nobody hear about this campaign until a few days ago though? Nobody knew who they were until just recently. Perhaps they started off as a genuine organization but gained interest from the government? Maybe.

I reiterate that I'm not saying everything I'm claiming is true , but you have to keep your options open when you look at the history of America's foreign invasions , it would be a bit ignorant to just ignore that.

Is it a coincidence that this has come to public attention after they've so recently signed oil contracts with Uganda?

Maybe , maybe not.

I'll just watch and see how this one pans out.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

People did know about them. Maybe you didn't but that doesn't mean nobody did. They released a film in 2006 about Uganda too, and there's news articles dating back several years about it and them so they certainly weren't not known by anybody.

Yeah I'm all for keeping open to forming an opinion, but it seemed as though you were just forming one immediately when you said it was disgraceful.
Also who are 'they' who have signed new oil contracts with Uganda? The link you provided earlier mentioned UK based company Tullow Oil who have been in Uganda for about 5 years, maybe longer but I can't say for definite.
Seems quite a leap to add a UK based company that has had African based oil contracts for decades with a video made by a not for profit organisation who have been campaigning about Uganda for almost a decade and come out with the idea that the US are going to invade.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:44 pm

It seems quite well timed. A month ago a deal is made to start producing the oil, now a video goes viral where every man and his dog wants Kony dead and America to step in and save the day. It is suspicious.

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Come on you're not going to tell me that many people knew about this organization before last week are you? Is this why my and others' facebook feeds have been inundated with Kony2012 and stuff like that.

When I said disgraceful it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction but having always kept an eye on happenings in the Middle East I cant be to blame for expecting such things from the Americans. I realise I'm starting to sound like some kind of USA hater but I'm not <laugh> Love the States and been there many times , nicest (bit thick) people in the world. Just the powers that run the country have always been corrupt in my opinion.

Bit rich to call them a not for profit organization when from the $8m they've got from donators , only $3m has gone tp Africa.

Oh and the oil production contract between Tullow and Uganda just started last month.

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Excuse my many typo's still getting used to using an iPad <wenger>

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 pm

I really don't see America going anywhere but Iran if they want to start another war.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:Come on you're not going to tell me that many people knew about this organization before last week are you? Is this why my and others' facebook feeds have been inundated with Kony2012 and how're opus they are?

When I said disgraceful it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction but having always kept an eye on happenings in the Middle East I cant be to blame for expecting such things from the Americans. I realise I'm starting to sound like some kind of USA hater but I'm not <laugh> Love the States and been there many times , nicest (bit thick) people in the world. Just the powers that run the country have always been corrupt in my opinion.

Bit rich to call them a not for profit organization when from the $8m they've got from donators , only $3m has gone tp Africa.
Apparently their previous film had 5 million views after a year or so, which probably isn't as huge as their latest film (I have no idea how popular their latest is) but its still far from 'nobody' like you said.

I know the US have a track record, I'm not disputing that, just your links in the current case which right now don't seem strong enough. I'm not saying it won't happen, because I don't know that, and I'm not saying there may be better evidence in future, because there may be. I just can't personally validate a link between a UK based private sector oil business that has been in Uganda for years, a US not-for-profit organisation who have been blabbing on about Uganda for years, and a sudden invasion by the US when their government hasn't even mentioned Uganda recently at all.

And they're officially classed as a not for profit organisation, regardless of how they corrupt their finances that is the correct term to use.

Edit - just saw your edit - Tullow (British based private sector firm) have been in Africa for decades and Uganda for years, regardless of any new contracts.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:00 pm

In the article I posted a page or two back (written in November), they point out that Obama had only publicly spoken about Kony and the US involvement after geologists had discovered oil.
In addition, geologists recently discovered oil in and around Lake Albert -- another reason for closer cooperation and for stabilizing the area...To a cynical observer, then, Obama's announcement seems to have been aimed at achieving some other goal.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:06 pm

I want curly hair wrote:In the article I posted a page or two back (written in November), they point out that Obama had only publicly spoken about Kony and the US involvement after geologists had discovered oil a month earlier.
Obama has spoken in public about Uganda and the LRA several times since he came to office, not just only once since late 2011, and in fact a small deployment of troops (small being anything less than 50) was supposedly organised in early 2010, which as far as I can tell is long before any recent geological oil discovery that the article discusses.

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:16 pm

skalpel wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:Come on you're not going to tell me that many people knew about this organization before last week are you? Is this why my and others' facebook feeds have been inundated with Kony2012 and how're opus they are?

Apparently their previous film had 5 million views after a year or so, which probably isn't as huge as their latest film (I have no idea how popular their latest is) but its still far from 'nobody' like you said.

I know the US have a track record, I'm not disputing that, just your links in the current case which right now don't seem strong enough. I'm not saying it won't happen, because I don't know that, and I'm not saying there may be better evidence in future, because there may be. I just can't personally validate a link between a UK based private sector oil business that has been in Uganda for years, a US not-for-profit organisation who have been blabbing on about Uganda for years, and a sudden invasion by the US when their government hasn't even mentioned Uganda recently at all.

And they're officially classed as a not for profit organisation, regardless of how they corrupt their finances that is the correct term to use.

Edit - just saw your edit - Tullow (British based private sector firm) have been in Africa for decades and Uganda for years, regardless of any new contracts.
1) BBC : 3 February 2012 Last updated at 13:06 GMT

Uganda and Tullow sign deal to start oil production.

2) When I said nobody it was a bit of a hyperbole , however I can tell you that the last film got more than 64 million views. Just browsing through the internet today I found an interview with Angelina Jolie and other celebrities , claiming this warlord should be captured. (I repeat , even though he's been inactive for 6 years).

My question is now , why has THIS video just gained so much attention now? Why would anyone want to sign up if he's been inactive 6 years? Why would this man bother to go through all the time of producing this film if it's since 2006 that he's committed one of his infamous crimes?

Clutching at straws and trying to find a reason for more oil? Possibly.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:22 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:

1) BBC : 3 February 2012 Last updated at 13:06 GMT

Uganda and Tullow sign deal to start oil production.

http://www.energy-pedia.com/news/uganda ... l-industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18 Feb 2010

Uganda will need $8 billion in investments in the next decade to develop its newly discovered oil and gas resources and bring them to the marketplace, according to a senior government official.

Total and CNOOC, the two companies picked by Tullow Oil as potential partners after it buys Heritage Oil's 50 percent stake in Blocks 1 and 3A. Tullow's bid for Heritage's assets got a major boost when Italy's Eni withdrew from the race. Total and CNOOC had been invited to pitch their plans for development to the government, Kaliisa said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullow_Oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2006, the company began drilling its first well in Uganda and has since drilled circa 30 wells around the Lake Albert region.[10] There were five oil discoveries in Uganda during 2006, which established the existence of a working hydrocarbon basin and marked the beginning of proving up a world-class major new oil province there. Tullow also announced its largest acquisition ever with a US$1.1 billion bid for Hardman Resources Limited.[11] This transaction became effective in December 2006 and completed in January 2007.
-----
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:2) When I said nobody it was a bit of a hyperbole , however I can tell you that the last film got more than 64 million views. Just browsing through the internet today I found an interview with Angelina Jolie and other celebrities , claiming this warlord should be captured. (I repeat , even though he's been inactive for 6 years).

My question is now , why has THIS video just gained so much attention now? Why would anyone want to sign up if he's been inactive 6 years? Why would this man bother to go through all the time of producing this film if it's since 2006 that he's committed one of his infamous crimes?

Clutching at straws and trying to find a reason for more oil? Possibly.
I just don't know how to answer this at all. Are you saying that the US government are responsible for everybody deciding to watch the video and send it to their friends? Some videos 'go viral', some don't.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:22 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:My question is now , why has THIS video just gained so much attention now? Why would anyone want to sign up if he's been inactive 6 years? Why would this man bother to go through all the time of producing this film if it's since 2006 that he's committed one of his infamous crimes?
Due to the power social media has in society these days.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:My question is now , why has THIS video just gained so much attention now? Why would anyone want to sign up if he's been inactive 6 years? Why would this man bother to go through all the time of producing this film if it's since 2006 that he's committed one of his infamous crimes?
Exactly.

The world hears about it when it's in their best interest.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:33 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
Exactly.

The world hears about it when it's in their best interest.
So are you suggesting that the US government has control over what videos go viral over the likes of Facebook and Twitter??

The only difference between the current Invisible Children video and the last one, in terms of popularity, is that the likes of Facebook and Twitter have seen a massive jump in popularity allowing the video to be shared easily.
Dr. Walter Bishop

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:37 pm

1) Why would the BBC say oil production started last month? Strange.

2) Some videos naturally go viral , others go viral with the aid of a helping hand. As Voluptuous Vuckic pointed out the strength of the media plays a huge role. They choose what people hear and what people don't hear.

And I ask again , why was this video , that was published a few days ago , getting so much attention if Kony has been inactive for 6 years? Because ultimately that is the entire point , isn't it?

Unless the whole thing isn't really about helping children but is economically related?