Do you think Religion is having a detrimental effect on -->

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Do you think Religion is having a detrimental effect on -->

Post by Henry Hoover » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 pm

modern day society? It seems to me that these days there is such a stigma attached with strong followers of religion that they almost seem to feel as if they are outcasts to the rest of the world. Im sure there has always been a degree of this in the past, but not to this extent. I bought one of my best mates from work to a kick about with my other mates, who was muslim, and it was literally like everyone went into ultra-awkwardness mode like he had C4 in his boots. He is literally the most laid back guy I know and jokes about his own religion, everyone elses and much more. He is a devout muslim though, but he was on about it at work saying he gets treated like s*** everywhere and if it wasn't for the fact he'd genuinely be in fear of losing his life he would rather not of had a religion at all and would like to have lived his life as athiest. It got me thinking that in the past, where religion would be seen as a way of bringing communities together, that these days it's doing more harm than good to society as a whole.

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Do you think Religion is having a detrimental effect on

Post by Le Quiff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:23 pm

It's the acts of the few that tar the many, in this case extremist Islam trying to conquer the world and everyone getting angry towards them. There's always been wars over religion, but now it's more global with the fact of Internet etc.
It's not about money... It's about sending a message.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Never mind those who are outcasted through ignorance, what about the ridiculous levels of control over modern society and political powers these archaic doctrines still hold? "Religion poisons everything".

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Cal wrote:Never mind those who are outcasted through ignorance, what about the ridiculous levels of control over modern society and political powers these archaic doctrines still hold? "Religion poisons everything".
100% this. Religion still has far to much of a hold over many social and political processes, and holds countries back from making progression.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Henry Groover wrote:modern day society? It seems to me that these days there is such a stigma attached with strong followers of religion that they almost seem to feel as if they are outcasts to the rest of the world. Im sure there has always been a degree of this in the past, but not to this extent. I bought one of my best mates from work to a kick about with my other mates, who was muslim, and it was literally like everyone went into ultra-awkwardness mode like he had C4 in his boots. He is literally the most laid back guy I know and jokes about his own religion, everyone elses and much more. He is a devout muslim though, but he was on about it at work saying he gets treated like s*** everywhere and if it wasn't for the fact he'd genuinely be in fear of losing his life he would rather not of had a religion at all and would like to have lived his life as athiest. It got me thinking that in the past, where religion would be seen as a way of bringing communities together, that these days it's doing more harm than good to society as a whole.
Underlined: Very much the opposite. For centuries people were ostracised or even killed for not conforming to certain religions. This still happens today.

And yes, Religion is a poison, as the late great Hitch dubbed it.

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I don't think so unless it effects people in a negative way, most religious people don't really let it rule them, some do

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:31 pm

I wish people would shut up about religion. If people kept their beliefs it to themselves it would solve a lot of problems.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Ramone wrote:I wish people would shut up about religion. If people kept their beliefs it to themselves it would solve a lot of problems.
But people don't. As annoying as hearing people talk about religion may be, we still live in a world where people are killed or harmed in other ways because of it. Wishing that everybody would just keep their beliefs to themselves doesn't make it happen unfortunately.

LoonyToon
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by LoonyToon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Ramone wrote:I wish people would shut up about religion. If people kept their beliefs it to themselves it would solve a lot of problems.
Religion will always be the 'Hot potato' in any discussion. People will never be quiet about it because they rightly or wrongly believe that their beliefs are the right ones.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Completely prevents many countries from moving forward.

Libya had a fantastic opportunity to start fresh once they removed Gadaffi but instead chose to install Sharia law.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I think religion is the only thing I genuinely hate. Not the religious people, but the concept of religion itself.

The sooner mankind gets shot of it the quicker we will actually start to make some progress.

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:35 am

Religion poisons everything.
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

EastMidlandMagpie
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by EastMidlandMagpie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 pm

The Middle East. There is enough reason to hate religion.
"I wouldn't say i'm the best forum poster in the world, but i'm definitely in the top one"

Kyle?
Banned
Banned

Post by Kyle? » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:00 am

I think we have to look at this from both sides of the coin. people use religion as a moral guidline, and as their code of living. It's only small numbers of extremists which give each religion a bad reputation, i have friends of many different religions, and they're cool, they manage to integrate their beliefs into their daily life, without causing obstruction.

On the other hand, religion can be blamed for the way the world has gone. The comments made in this thread are a good testament to that, Cal is correct in his assessment that Religion stunts political change, as it disallows the people from attempting to improve upon/ evolve a current political system that in most cases is outdated. Fundamentalism is a main cause of hate and bile in the world, and mankind harming one another. Islam may be flawed, but it doesn't tell you to blow people up in the name of Allah, it's delusional fundamentalists interpreting as such.

For the record i am an atheist.
Last edited by Kyle? on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazidis Out!

Forget Giroud, sign Lewandowski

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Kyle? wrote:Islam may be flawed, but it doesn't tell you to blow people up in the name of Allah, it's delusional fundamentalists interpreting as such.
No, but there is debate over what some verses mean, for example:

And Fight those who have not faith in God, nor in the Hereafter, and (who) forbid not what God and His Prophet have forbidden and (who ) are not committed to the religion of truth, of those who have been brought the Book, until they pay tribute by hand, and they are the low. (9:29)

Not exactly the nicest of verses ever to be said in a religious book and there are more in the same vain. Whilst morally you would object to what is said here, you can see why some people would take it literally if they're committed to their faith. Then again, interpretation, like with all religious books, is the key to what effect it's going to have. So whilst one person would say that it doesn't tell you to fight against those who don't believe in their religion and their God, there are people at the opposite end who will say the exact opposite.

It's reasons like this that make me dislike religion. I just try to stay away from the religious arguments though, it's one that will never end.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Religion will never end, theres far too many weak people on the planet that cant think for themselves and far too many power hungry bastards that know religion is the easiest way to control.

There's no progress with religion. I have no idea how its managed to last so long.