Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Is reincarnation real?

Post by Sir Bobby » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Mifune wrote:
Sir Bobby wrote:
Am I wrong <laugh>

And, Skalpal, the memory thing is more hope than actual belief <ok>
Well when the universe began there was only hydrogen, helium and lithium. Other heavier elements such as carbon and oxygen are made by nuclear fusion in stars, and then the even heavier elements such as gold are made in supernovas caused by stars dying.

Techinically we are all made out of stardust. <awe>
Well that's my theory butchered. I like the stardust thought tho <awe>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Mifune wrote:
Well when the universe began there was only hydrogen, helium and lithium. Other heavier elements such as carbon and oxygen are made by nuclear fusion in stars, and then the even heavier elements such as gold are made in supernovas caused by stars dying.

Techinically we are all made out of stardust. <awe>
<sorry>

Although the good news for you is that if we did have some sort of soul then it probably would not have any kind of mass, it would sort of be like the software to our bodies hardware.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Mifune wrote:
Sir Bobby wrote:
<sorry>

Although the good news for you is that if we did have some sort of soul then it probably would not have any kind of mass, it would sort of be like the software to our bodies hardware.
ie. Ultimately useless once the hardware doesn't work anymore <roll>.

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:28 pm

I believe we have a soul and that our true essense and personality never really dies.

My worldview is as follows. I believe we are here in the physical plain as a sort of kindergarten for conciousness, this is a structured world. When we become enlightened enough to progress on our journeys we move on to new realms, if not we come back, to here or maybe even other worlds as other beings.

I believe the "afterlife" is not just one place, I believe it is merely one step higher on an immesureable pyramid. I believe it is a long process of learning and eventually if we learn our lessons, we get to what could be considered a heaven, the top of the pyramid, a divine central plain of pure love, of ineffable wonder and majesty.

Just my take, it is very open to questions, where did we originate in the first place etc. Do animals have a spirit? Do animals have a spirit that is intelligent? and so forth

But every single theory regarding conciousness and reality has a shitload of questions, I am very open to any possibility, but you can't sit on the fence on everything, just keeping a firm hand on the fence is enough.
I love you all

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 pm

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:
<sorry>

Probably :(.

In all honesty I find it hard to believe anything other than that we are just irrelevant specks crawling about on a slightly larger speck for a split second of time and then once we die and our meaningless life is over, then that is it forever.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:

In all honesty I find it hard to believe anything other than that we are just irrelevant specks crawling about on a slightly larger speck for a split second of time and then once we die and our meaningless life is over, then that is it forever.
<grim>

I agree
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:

Agreed. But we're specs who have the ability to interpret chemical signals in many different emotional ways, which can make our meaningless existence enjoyable.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Well this is all pretty depressing. Does nobody even hope there's something else after this life?
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:Well this is all pretty depressing. Does nobody even hope there's something else after this life?
Of course. But I'm separating hope and belief here, I believe in what I know; but I'd obviously hope to live an afterlife for eternity as myself in a glorious utopia filled with everything I've ever wanted. Only a masochist wouldn't wish that for themselves, it doesn't mean I believe it will happen though.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:Well this is all pretty depressing. Does nobody even hope there's something else after this life?
I'd like there to be some form of reincarnation. I'm not that bothered about 'heaven' in the traditional sense because it sounds pretty dull but I'd like to continue living in this world and see how civilisation and the human race progresses over time.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:30 pm

I think something happens, I don't think you are just gone...

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:

Agreed. But we're specs who have the ability to interpret chemical signals in many different emotional ways, which can make our meaningless existence enjoyable.
True. <diva>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:21 pm

If I believed there was I'd be into Buddhism* as I believe it's a good philosophy (NOT A f***ing RELIGION) to lead your life,as I don't believe I'll stay a beer swilling,anti social,grumpy old f***er till I die.

*this can cause an argument in itself as some Buddhists believe in it whilst others Don't but believe in rebirth.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:23 pm

The Secret Ingredient wrote:If I believed there was I'd be into Buddhism* as I believe it's a good philosophy (NOT A f***ing RELIGION) to lead your life,as I don't believe I'll stay a beer swilling,anti social,grumpy old f***er till I die.

*this can cause an argument in itself as some Buddhists believe in it whilst others Don't but believe in rebirth.
Buddhism has its pros and cons really but for me the best thing about Buddhism, after its immediate rejection of gods, is how flexible it is to the individual. There's no piety or pedantic sanctimoniousness directed at its followers; a big factor of Buddhism is that you take it for your own journey and exploration of Siddhartha's understandings, as opposed to subscribing yourself to some elitist tribe with a ridiculous code of laws. Of course, you'll still find the odd moron with a complete lack of comprehension approaching it from an Abrahamic perspective and probably shitting in everybody's cereal in the process, but that's humans for you <erm>.

Iksee
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by Iksee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm

I don't believe in sequels.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm

skalpel wrote:
The Secret Ingredient wrote:If I believed there was I'd be into Buddhism* as I believe it's a good philosophy (NOT A f***ing RELIGION) to lead your life,as I don't believe I'll stay a beer swilling,anti social,grumpy old f***er till I die.

Buddhism has its pros and cons really but for me the best thing about Buddhism, after its immediate rejection of gods, is how flexible it is to the individual. There's no piety or pedantic sanctimoniousness directed at its followers; a big factor of Buddhism is that you take it for your own journey and exploration of Siddhartha's understandings, as opposed to subscribing yourself to some elitist tribe with a ridiculous code of laws. Of course, you'll still find the odd moron with a complete lack of comprehension approaching it from an Abrahamic perspective and probably shitting in everybody's cereal in the process, but that's humans for you <erm>.
Exactly the Buddha teachings are a guideline to a righteous path in your life not a stipulation,whether you follow them to the word is down to the person.Buddhism has always appealed to me more than religion ever could.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:I personally believe in a form of reincarnation. How I see it is that there has always been the amount of elements in the universe as there are now, so that means nothing leaves or enters the universe. Thus if I die eventually my matter will eventually make up another living thing.
What constitutes "your matter" though? Every cell in your body is replaced every 11 months or so, water, which forms over 70% of our bodies, is replaced completely in just over a fortnight. There are probably thousands of living animals with bits of you in them already living, and as you eat meat (presumably) and plants, then you've consumed thousands of living organisms already, not to mention the millions of bacteria in your body.
Sir Bobby wrote:I think there's the plausibility of a 'soul' particle in every living thing which carries around certain memories and whatnot which transfers when it eventually becomes part of another living thing.
I used to kind of believe in a soul particle, although I thought of it more as a spiritual and physical component of who I am. I always felt there must be a spiritual part that allows living things to think and learn and feel emotions. As far as I know things like curtains and biscuits are incapable of conscious thought and don't have feelings, so there must be some spiritual part of living things that separates them from inanimate objects, a corpse after all is made of the same stuff physically as a human. This was my only real basis for there being an afterlife of some sort, my belief in this was shaken somewhat when I was put under sedation and wasn't capable of any thought at all while my body was unconscious, it was as if I'd blinked and several hours and an operation had passed and I'd been whisked into another room. <erk>

Edit: The perils of being on the wrong page. Didn't realise I'd quoted a post from last week. <erk>