14%

Total votes: 22

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Operating Systems

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Vent your hatred or profess your love.

I'll kick start with a few healthy stereotypes for the hell of it and will most likely start ranting later, once somebody else gets the first insult in.

Windows:

Mac:

Linux:

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Operating Systems

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Windows. I game.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 pm

I loathe Windows & Mac, but need them both for certain software that is yet to be compatible with a Linux OS. Linux is obviously the best OS generally speaking, as proven by the fact that basically all the world's supercomputers rely on it:

But when it comes to working on it on a day to day basis, there's so little support from major software companies that you basically have to dual boot otherwise you can't get a ton of software you'll probably need for your job working until some genius coder from the other side of the world gets it working.
I also f***ing hate what Ubuntu have done with release 11 (Unity is a f***ing nightmare), Gnome 3 is hideous too but luckily there's Xubuntu and other similar GUIs.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:10 pm

What's Linux <scratch> And i will slap whoever just says 'an operating system'.

I'm Windows, because i'm s*** with computers but hate the iOS.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I would like to get into Linux, but have no need to at all at present. It'd only be a hindrance having to jump between boots, and that's after setting things up appropriately.

Not had any experience of Unity, but a daft name for it, given that there is already some very popular software called just that.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:15 pm

You'veBeenTiote'd wrote:What's Linux <scratch> And i will slap whoever just says 'an operating system'.

I'm Windows, because i'm s*** with computers but hate the iOS.
It's an OS that is based on a free/open source principle. Because of this open source nature, there's a number of Operating Systems based on it; probably the most popular being Ubuntu. You can run a load of major software on it but it tends to push the best of the open source community. For instance, Ubuntu comes preinstalled with Firefox and Chromium installed as browsers, Open Office or Libre Office as office suites etc.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Cal wrote:I would like to get into Linux, but have no need to at all at present. It'd only be a hindrance having to jump between boots, and that's after setting things up appropriately.

Not had any experience of Unity, but a daft name for it, given that there is already some very popular software called just that.
If you ever have a spare system or old laptop, it's definitely worth trying it out really. An OS like Ubuntu is painfully easy to install and set up, puts Windows to great shame. The first time I tried it was on a broken laptop that would overheat and shut down at random moments, even when idle. After installing Linux, it not only doesn't crash but it doesn't overheat anymore and I can actually do more with it than my far superior windows laptop <laugh>.

As for Unity. Basically they changed from this nice and simple interface:

To this hideous, totally uncustomisable mac-style dock:

When I say uncustomisable, I totally mean it. You can't move it, you can't rearrange the icons on it without deleting them and you can't autohide it when you're on the desktop.
Huge shot in the foot for them really, but as I say there's an absolute stack of GUIs that still give you total freedom to customise your own interface exactly how you like it so you can easily brush this problem to one side. Just a bit annoying for me because I love the classic Gnome look from all previous Ubuntu releases.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

skalpel wrote: If you ever have a spare system or old laptop, it's definitely worth trying it out really. An OS like Ubuntu is painfully easy to install and set up, puts Windows to great shame. The first time I tried it was on a broken laptop that would overheat and shut down at random moments, even when idle. After installing Linux, it not only doesn't crash but it doesn't overheat anymore and I can actually do more with it than my far superior windows laptop <laugh>.

When I say uncustomisable, I totally mean it. You can't move it, you can't rearrange the icons on it without deleting them and you can't autohide it when you're on the desktop.
Huge shot in the foot for them really, but as I say there's an absolute stack of GUIs that still give you total freedom to customise your own interface exactly how you like it so you can easily brush this problem to one side. Just a bit annoying for me because I love the classic Gnome look from all previous Ubuntu releases.
I've tried using Ubuntu on a few computers (dual booted on an old PC, used it on a laptop too at some point), just haven't really felt the benefits. Probably because my use is fairly focused, and a large chunk of that is within Windows/Mac only software (or software which would be a pain in the arse to get running in a Linux distro).

That new GUI looks horrible though, I hate this transition we're in where everything is going towards big, shiny and touch friendly. Touch based UIs should be saved for an alternative mode (like in Windows 8's 'Metro' mode), act as a top layer of the UI that is only activated when a touch capable input is available or just be saved for the tablet/mobile devices they're clearly aiming for. They shouldn't be forcibly implemented to the detriment of power users, or just anyone who wants to use a keyboard and mouse efficiently.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm

skalpel wrote:It's an OS that is based on a free/open source principle. Because of this open source nature, there's a number of Operating Systems based on it; probably the most popular being Ubuntu. You can run a load of major software on it but it tends to push the best of the open source community. For instance, Ubuntu comes preinstalled with Firefox and Chromium installed as browsers, Open Office or Libre Office as office suites etc.
Cheers! <ok>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah, practically speaking all I can do for work via Ubuntu is administrative stuff and coding. Inkworks is a decent Fireworks replacement for vectoring web graphics but basically I/we need Windows and Mac too.
The massive benefits of it are that it isn't ugly as all hell, it doesn't piss you off with random errors or messages in all sorts of weird and differing formats like windows and you have full customisable control of your entire system without being further patronised unlike mac. You can pretty much power it up in seconds, sit down and relax with a nice and clean GUI that won't treat you like a total moron and will look exactly as you want it to look.

Totally 100% agree with your second paragraph too. This modern trend has infiltrated all corners of design really, the modern way is huge and glossy unfortunately. Minimalist, matt and organic is apparently not the 'in' thing.
It's comparable to the loudness war in music; while there it was a case of the louder the more it got noticed, in this case it seems to be the shinier, glossier and more noticable the under-reflection, the more it gets noticed <facepalm>.
You'veBeenTiote'd wrote:Cheers! <ok>
<ok> No worries.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am

Cal wrote:
skalpel wrote: If you ever have a spare system or old laptop, it's definitely worth trying it out really. An OS like Ubuntu is painfully easy to install and set up, puts Windows to great shame. The first time I tried it was on a broken laptop that would overheat and shut down at random moments, even when idle. After installing Linux, it not only doesn't crash but it doesn't overheat anymore and I can actually do more with it than my far superior windows laptop <laugh>.

I've tried using Ubuntu on a few computers (dual booted on an old PC, used it on a laptop too at some point), just haven't really felt the benefits. Probably because my use is fairly focused, and a large chunk of that is within Windows/Mac only software (or software which would be a pain in the arse to get running in a Linux distro).

That new GUI looks horrible though, I hate this transition we're in where everything is going towards big, shiny and touch friendly. Touch based UIs should be saved for an alternative mode (like in Windows 8's 'Metro' mode), act as a top layer of the UI that is only activated when a touch capable input is available or just be saved for the tablet/mobile devices they're clearly aiming for. They shouldn't be forcibly implemented to the detriment of power users, or just anyone who wants to use a keyboard and mouse efficiently.
I've been through three UI designers in the last two years simply because they are so heavily influenced by this style of design for everything, even when the overall requirements negate this style.

I was accused by one of them when I rejected his mock-ups for the fifth time because it didn't meet the remit as 'a design luddite'.

If I have a need for this Apple driven dross (maybe I am a design luddite?) then I'll happily use it as it's acceptable to many users and deemed as user-friendly but when I'm predominantly mapping requirements and designing the web admin functionality for a new business concept, the last thing I need is for a page to have massive buttons that would then require numerous page/option changes to navigate to a page that is far easier to navigate via tabbed drop down lists and is easier to maintain.

Oh. Last gripe. I hate apps and the concept of apps... I think all websites should be device agnostic and then the grip Apple has can be loosened and the world will be a far better place.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 am

Linux is definitely the best OS, it's just a shame about the software available for it. I swapped my Mams old computer from Vista ( <grr> ) to Ubuntu because it was ridiculously slow and would randomly crash dump, it fixed the problems and even she said she prefered it.

I do use Windows (never Vista) most often though. It's not overpriced like apple, and it has the software I need for Uni.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Paco
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by Paco » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:02 pm

skalpel wrote:
I

That looks awful! My Dad uses the older version and it looks pretty sleek, especially as you can have 4 home screens

Iksee
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by Iksee » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Windows because I game that's all.

Heard a lot of people say Linux is awesome but I got no experience with it.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Mac, because I'm used to it and I don't like change. I also look/dress like the picture suggests <diva>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:06 pm

I don't know s*** about computers, and for this reason, I love Mac. It's simple and intuitive.
I had the first custom w***

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Are mac users at all bothered by the thought that you can save hundreds, or in some cases nearly £1000 by purchasing a non Apple computer that is similar spec? Is it that the extra money does not matter because of your love for the OS?

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:49 pm

skalpel wrote:Are mac users at all bothered by the thought that you can save hundreds, or in some cases nearly £1000 by purchasing a non Apple computer that is similar spec? Is it that the extra money does not matter because of your love for the OS?
Depends how much the OS appeals to the person compared to the others that are available. Compared to Windows I find the Mac OS a hell of a lot smoother, despite it still having its own problems which I find outweighed by the positives.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Yeah Mac is a lot more user friendly than Windows and a lot prettier, which is very important if you use your system daily. Not sure I could personally be alright with forking out a needless £1000 when Xubuntu/Ubuntu is even smarter, more customisable and free, but then again this is me typing this out with two macbook pros just to my right <laugh>.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm

skalpel wrote:Yeah Mac is a lot more user friendly than Windows and a lot prettier, which is very important if you use your system daily. Not sure I could personally be alright with forking out a needless £1000 when Xubuntu/Ubuntu is even smarter, more customisable and free, but then again this is me typing this out with two macbook pros just to my right <laugh>.
Aye, money is the only issue I had when I bought mine. Don't see myself buying another computer for a while with the money I've spent on this and software. <laugh>