Misuse of "conspiracy" and "conspiracy theorist"

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Misuse of "conspiracy" and "conspiracy theorist"

Post by Wot lad? » Thu May 17, 2012 12:59 am

A conspiracy is simply two or more people planning to do something bad.

However now it has become a blanket term for any beliefs that fit a certain cultural "frame" which are not even related to conspiration, such as the belief in extraterrestrials or anything remotely out of the ordinary. It is often used on its own as an insult due to the way the term is percieved, moreover the term "conspiracy theorist" is used almost exclusively in a neagtive way.

Most people do not even realise they are perpetuating this bias, the word has become something used to ridicule or debase claims which do not even fall into the definition.

For example some people will call somebody else a "conspiracy theorist" because that person thinks the world will end in 2012... However the actual subject matter never falls into the sphere of the definition of "conspiracy" or "conspiracy theorist".

Some people will say "9/11 wasn't a conspiracy you idiot". When in actuality it was, whether you believe it was carried out by muslim terrorists or the United States government, by definition it was a conspiracy.

Just for reference: I do not believe the world will end in 2012, although I do not judge those who do. I am open to all evidence regarding 9/11 and I do not consider myself a conspiracy theorist, especially regarding the negative connotations the term is burdened by. Sorry to add this at the end but I can't discount the possibilty that some people are so deluded by their own bias that even in a topic which specifically deals with that issue, they will still continue with their preconcieved prejudice.

<gent>
I love you all

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Re: Misuse of "conspiracy" and "conspiracy theorist"

Post by Yacob » Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 am

Well that's cleared up the meanings, I will now longer misuse the words <diva>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 am

It's good to see somebody who cares as much as I do about the English language.
I had the first custom w***

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Thu May 17, 2012 2:54 pm

<diva>
I love you all

5 Goals - Hesakmi
Prediction League Champion

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Nowadays everything has to be regarded scepitcally as nothing is straightforward.

People who read something on CNN/NBC/FOX/any newspaper and always immediately take it as the truth are ignorant.
Ryan Taylor Over The Wall , Ryan Taylor Over The Wall!
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri May 18, 2012 12:48 pm

I know what it means however the people that believe in conspiracy theories are generally the same people that believe that the world will end in 2012 or that we are all ruled by lizard people. It's a catch-all term but it works because everyone knows what you are talking about.
REQUIEM

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Ramone wrote:I know what it means however the people that believe in conspiracy theories are generally the same people that believe that the world will end in 2012 or that we are all ruled by lizard people. It's a catch-all term but it works because everyone knows what you are talking about.
No it's not?

I believe in certain conspiracy theories but play down other ones. If you are a conspiracy theorist it doesn't mean that you ask every single subject in the world into question.

I'm a 'conspiracy theorist' when it comes to loads of things but believe that 2012 is a bunch of bollocks.
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri May 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Good OP. I am sure people called Woodward and Bernstein conspiracy theorists during Watergate. Hell, the Levinson inquiry is throwing up many a conspiracy.

I think the term 'conspiracy theorist' is used as an insult because some fools believe in worldwide, infeasible conspiracies between thousands of otherwise unconnected persons. Like "Flat Earth" theory, all of the physicists in the world are in on it so secret organisations can use it. How would one even co-ordinate that?

The 2012 Mayan thing grinds my gears. The Mayan calendar simply was only drawn up to 2012 as it was far far in the future. This 2012 thing is like Y2K all over again.
Some people seem so convinced people in ancient times has some sort of extra, spiritual knowledge that we don't have now. Why? We know so much more about the world. The Mayan's were pretty primitive to be honest, so why treat them as wiser? <disgrace>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri May 18, 2012 1:37 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
Ramone wrote:I know what it means however the people that believe in conspiracy theories are generally the same people that believe that the world will end in 2012 or that we are all ruled by lizard people. It's a catch-all term but it works because everyone knows what you are talking about.
No it's not?

I believe in certain conspiracy theories but play down other ones. If you are a conspiracy theorist it doesn't mean that you ask every single subject in the world into question.

I'm a 'conspiracy theorist' when it comes to loads of things but believe that 2012 is a bunch of bollocks.
Fair enough but in my experience those people are one and the same. I don't see how it's anything to get worked up about anyway.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri May 18, 2012 1:40 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
No it's not?

I don't see why it's a term that needs rescuing really. If you're a freethinker then good for you, but if you're the sort of person who almost automatically searches for hidden motives behind everything and is willing to use speculation or unproven ideas to formulate a point of view, then I guess conspiracy theorist would suffice, stigma or no stigma.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Conspiracy-theoryphile is a better term to use for the people who actively seek out some alternative conspiratorial take on absolutely everything, but not exactly as catchy as conspiracy theorist.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Fri May 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Society works on people being labelled and being put into categories. Those who question what the media portray as the truth, or believe in certain predictions don't fit into "mainstream" society beliefs hence are given a label. I say just don't let it bother you. They are the ones who will go through life not questioning anything, probably just to feel that they are "accepted", whilst those who do question tend to educate themselves before believing in an answer. However, Ramone is also right. Some of these "conspiracy theorists" do believe in absolutely everything that comes out. They also tend to be the ones who crave/attract media attention, enhancing the already stereotypical view on these "conspiracy theorists".
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm

skalpel wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
No it's not?

I don't see why it's a term that needs rescuing really. If you're a freethinker then good for you, but if you're the sort of person who almost automatically searches for hidden motives behind everything and is willing to use speculation or unproven ideas to formulate a point of view, then I guess conspiracy theorist would suffice, stigma or no stigma.
Well in that case I'd label myself more as a free thinker as I do question many things, be it political or economical etc. but obviously not everything that goes on in the world, as that's just silly.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri May 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Marathon to Snickers was the tipping point for me.

It was then I knew that the world was run by an evil cabal hell bent on destroying the past and I pledged there and then to track them down and stop their foul plans.

Later, when Opal Fruits became Starburst I knew that I was getting close as they went to ground for years, only to pop up and rename Jif to Cif.

I'm still looking for them.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 pm

overseasTOON MD wrote:Marathon to Snickers was the tipping point for me.

It was then I knew that the world was run by an evil cabal hell bent on destroying the past and I pledged there and then to track them down and stop their foul plans.

Later, when Opal Fruits became Starburst I knew that I was getting close as they went to ground for years, only to pop up and rename Jif to Cif.

They had Coco Pops for a short while, but god damn it we fought back.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm

overseasTOON MD wrote:Marathon to Snickers was the tipping point for me.

I think the same evildoers are behind the Olivio to Bertolli atrocity. But we are on to them ...!

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 pm

I love you all

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon May 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Not sure if this should go on the ebar or not but I have never heard of this 'theory' before, greatly amusing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012