A different take on the "meaning of life"

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

A different take on the "meaning of life"

Post by Wot lad? » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm

http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/the ... sal-truth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love you all

Le wilde un
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Re: A different take on the "meaning of life"

Post by Le wilde un » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Where did you find out about this site? (the truth contest one)

Welcome to the forum!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2jP9OMVI8

"Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that's where it should stay."

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

A good read whether you believe it or not, and makes some very interesting points.. I've always wondered how we can hear our own thoughts when I'm sure I heard that theres some scientific law that new matter cannot be created or destroyed, just transform!

I was discussing some of these very points in the does God exist thread, which this article seems to agree with:

We know our bodies die, and know consciousness cannot, thus our consciousness (what we are) cannot be our bodies. Energy cannot be created or destroyed and neither can consciousness. It just changes form.
You will die physically, but you will be born again; being born happens, or you would not be here now. You were born into this life. It is what we know happens. There is no evidence anything else happens.

As the mind gets smaller, life gets bigger. As the mind shrinks, life expands. When the mind disappears completely, your perception of life becomes clear. Eventually you will only think when you have to, which is not very often. You will start living in the present, the eternal NOW.
The more you live in the present, the more fulfilling life gets. Time will slow down; you will see the magic and wonder of life you saw as a child, and you will experience it without the ignorance and all the negative emotions of childhood.

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Its an intreguing topic, the most intreguing topic of all time, however alot of people hate it when you bring anything like this up.

Thanks for the welcome, i found the site from a youtube comment on a video about conciousness
I love you all

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:09 pm

nom de plume wrote:Its an intreguing topic, the most intreguing topic of all time, however alot of people hate it when you bring anything like this up.

Thanks for the welcome, i found the site from a youtube comment on a video about conciousness
Yeah alot of people seem to ignore these sort of question or just say theres nothing more to life without much research, but personally I can't get enough of these 'big questions' and would discuss and debate this question all day.

To truely know the truth of whats going on, why we are here and who we are would be the ultimate goal, welcome to the forum and I hope you can contribute more to these sort of topics!

Hatem Is A Geordie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hatem Is A Geordie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Hmm, interesting, a lot of thoughtful stuff going around on this board <laugh>

Chip Chipperson
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Chip Chipperson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed that. Life's so fascinating, but many people don't have time to fully love it and get the most out of it; they're too occupied with work or worrying about paying their bills. We live in a world that never stops. While one person sleeps and dreams, another is awake and thinking, while person is falling in love, another is mourning the death of their love, while one person is dying, another new life is born. Human beings are the universe, and the universe is everything, it gave us the materials to be created, it gave us the minerals to survive.

I'm going to read into it alot more, but even if we want to know the true-meaning of life, we can't. That will only happen when our physical bodies die. I put a comment in the 'Does God exist' thread, and i think my views were slightly ignorant, as i've not taken too much time to read in to this stuff.
"How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that." - Malcolm Tucker

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Only half-way through, but what a load of poorly explained s*** this is so far.

EDIT: The second half manages to exceed the excrement levels of the first.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Cal wrote:Only half-way through, but what a load of poorly explained s*** this is so far.
Didn't want to be the one to say it, but I stopped before the end for similar reasons too. I like the subject but it just seems full of self evident or obvious information.

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 am

I think the answer is 42
Originally Posted by Somebodys pinched my sombrero......
Later in the interview, Santon confirmed that, indeed, he has never seen a mackem in Milan

nufc4life wrote:
They do have there own BRAND as I put it ha ah ha , let's put it this way I didn't lick her gash just emptied my sack and made my excuses ha ha

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:23 am

Cal wrote:Only half-way through, but what a load of poorly explained s*** this is so far.

Yeah I can see where your coming from especially the second part which is far from empirical, but what do you see as s***?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 pm

The situation wrote:

Yeah I can see where your coming from especially the second part which is far from empirical, but what do you see as s***?
The arguments used to vaguely traipse to the conclusions they want to draw, and the conclusions themselves, interspersed with the occasional bit of blatant fact disguised as something revolutionary.

For example;
We know our bodies die, and know consciousness cannot, thus our consciousness (what we are) cannot be our bodies. Energy cannot be created or destroyed and neither can consciousness. It just changes form.

You will die physically, but you will be born again; being born happens, or you would not be here now. You were born into this life. It is what we know happens. There is no evidence anything else happens.
Their argument for consciousness being unable to die is that we are not conscious of our own unconsciousness, I have no idea how they turned that into meaning that conscience is some immortal spiritual being. Then they use this as proof that our consciousness is not a physical part of our bodies, as if people otherwise believed that it was? While I'm not a neurologist I thought it would be obvious that consciousness was derived from a specific type of brain activity.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed is used as meaning that our consciousness can't be destroyed but will change form and result in rebirth somehow. What makes consciousness special in that it somehow completely exempt from the usual way that energy changes form by somehow remaining one entity and moving along to some pregnant/gestating creature? Instead of just stopping when brain activity stops, and then being lost as the brain decomposes or is destroyed (incinerated) with the body, a far more conventional transferal of energy. Is everything around us a star, just because the energy and material (also energy) came from stars?

"Being born happens, or you would not be here now." My mind has just been blown... We are all aware that we were born, but then they claim there is no evidence that anything else happens. So what's the basis in the rest of this **** that is incessantly spewed? If there is no evidence for it, why persistently claim that it is the 'real' truth?

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Cal wrote:
The arguments used to vaguely traipse to the conclusions they want to draw, and the conclusions themselves, interspersed with the occasional bit of blatant fact disguised as something revolutionary.

For example;

Their argument for consciousness being unable to die is that we are not conscious of our own unconsciousness, I have no idea how they turned that into meaning that conscience is some immortal spiritual being. Then they use this as proof that our consciousness is not a physical part of our bodies, as if people otherwise believed that it was? While I'm not a neurologist I thought it would be obvious that consciousness was derived from a specific type of brain activity.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed is used as meaning that our consciousness can't be destroyed but will change form and result in rebirth somehow. What makes consciousness special in that it somehow completely exempt from the usual way that energy changes form by somehow remaining one entity and moving along to some pregnant/gestating creature? Instead of just stopping when brain activity stops, and then being lost as the brain decomposes or is destroyed (incinerated) with the body, a far more conventional transferal of energy. Is everything around us a star, just because the energy and material (also energy) came from stars?

"Being born happens, or you would not be here now." My mind has just been blown... We are all aware that we were born, but then they claim there is no evidence that anything else happens. So what's the basis in the rest of this **** that is incessantly spewed? If there is no evidence for it, why persistently claim that it is the 'real' truth?
Have to say I agree with most of your comment and it was very eloquently put as well <applause>. I just don't like it when people say this is **** but then don't go onto explain why they think so, as if they have just read it to see if it identifies with their own beliefs and thus dismiss it if it doesn't, but that obviously isn't the case here!

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Its just somebodys opinion represented as fact at the end of the day. I just thought it was an interesting approach.
I love you all

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:41 pm

nom de plume wrote:Its just somebodys opinion represented as fact at the end of the day. I just thought it was an interesting approach.
They speak as if it is irrefutable fact though, which opens them up to as much criticism as can be thrown their way.

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Cal wrote:
nom de plume wrote:Its just somebodys opinion represented as fact at the end of the day. I just thought it was an interesting approach.
They speak as if it is irrefutable fact though, which opens them up to as much criticism as can be thrown their way.

I think we can all agree that its open to a shitload of criticism, that goes without saying. It has some interesting points which can generate discussion. I am not advocating the validity of its content in any way i merely thought it was an intreguing piece, just like the bible is intreguing even though its open to every criticism imaginable and delivered as if its "irrefutable fact", it doesnt mean its completely worthless.
I love you all

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Ameobi's Apprentice wrote:Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed that. Life's so fascinating, but many people don't have time to fully love it and get the most out of it; they're too occupied with work or worrying about paying their bills. We live in a world that never stops. While one person sleeps and dreams, another is awake and thinking, while person is falling in love, another is mourning the death of their love, while one person is dying, another new life is born. Human beings are the universe, and the universe is everything, it gave us the materials to be created, it gave us the minerals to survive.

I'm going to read into it alot more, but even if we want to know the true-meaning of life, we can't. That will only happen when our physical bodies die. I put a comment in the 'Does God exist' thread, and i think my views were slightly ignorant, as i've not taken too much time to read in to this stuff.

I have just seen this, what a great comment full of positivity. <applause>
I love you all