Does God Exist?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by skalpel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:57 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:Nobody knows.

People who dismiss either opinion are wrong if you ask me.

No proof that he exists, no proof that he doesn't.
In that case, you are wrong if you don't believe in my monkeys with laser cannons in their chests, since there is no proof either way.
Cal wrote:I had started a reply, but I now see Skalps' monster ( <worried>) so I have an excuse to keep it brief. <diva>
<kray>
AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:Amazing post. <awe>
skalpel wrote:<kray> Mine is longer.
<laugh> Try telling that to Lovenkrands. <ok>
<laugh>!!
B4E wrote:You do realise if I reply to that bit by bit, we're going to eventually break the forum?
Quite probably!

5 Goals - Hesakmi
Prediction League Champion

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am

skalpel wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:Nobody knows.

People who dismiss either opinion are wrong if you ask me.

No proof that he exists, no proof that he doesn't.
In that case, you are wrong if you don't believe in my monkeys with laser cannons in their chests, since there is no proof either way.
<roll>

That isn't really an argument until you have hundreds of millions of people actually believing in it, books about it dating back to thousands of years ago and people preaching about it on a daily basis.
Ryan Taylor Over The Wall , Ryan Taylor Over The Wall!
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am

I love this thread <awe>.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 am

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:
<roll>

That isn't really an argument until you have hundreds of millions of people actually believing in it, books about it dating back to thousands of years ago and people preaching about it on a daily basis.
And besides there's still a chance such a thing can exist in some far flung part of the universe.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 am

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:
<roll>

Provide me with a society similar to those that existed at the birth of religion, provide me with a charismatic speaker, and I shall get this done <ok>.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by B4E » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 am

Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
<roll>

Provide me with a society similar to those that existed at the birth of religion, provide me with a charismatic speaker, and I shall get this done <ok>.
It's already happening at Liverpool. It's only been 30 years yet it's already in full swing.
RIP

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:07 am

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:
<roll>

So if hundreds of millions of people believe in something, and some books written thousands of years ago say that it's true, then I am automatically incorrect if I don't consider that to be anywhere near the sort of proof I require to believe something?

I am not going to believe in something just because lots of other people do. I want some evidence or else I may as well start believing in every single god that man has ever documented and gained millions of followers for.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am

B4E wrote:
Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
It's already happening at Liverpool. It's only been 30 years yet it's already in full swing.
Dr. Walter Bishop

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am

On the point of the God of the bible being a bastard.

The Bible was written by men, so it's very likely it was written as a way of upholding their own doctrine through having an 'eye in the sky' giving all of these random laws. It probably absolved people of guilt and blame because they're just doing what they've been told.

The Bible is a load of bollocks in my opinion, as is most organised religion. Faith, however, is not.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 am

skalpel wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
<roll>

So if hundreds of millions of people believe in something, and some books written thousands of years ago say that it's true, then I am automatically incorrect if I don't consider that to be anywhere near the sort of proof I require to believe something?

I am not going to believe in something just because lots of other people do. I want some evidence or else I may as well start believing in every single god that man has ever documented and gained millions of followers for.
Why are you such an annoying person, skalpel?
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am

Because I'm correct.

Morgan Just A Pretty Face
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Morgan Just A Pretty Face » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am

God does exist, even if it's only in the mind. Just like unicorns.

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:16 am

skalpel wrote:Because I'm correct.
Shut up.

I hate you and religion.

<roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 am

<gent>

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 am

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
skalpel wrote:
<roll>

Thousands of people believed the world was going to end last week based on texts that were thousands of years old. Millions of people believed the world was flat and at the centre of the universe. People believing something isn't evidence of it existing.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 am

This is from my own personal experiences so is by no means accurate, but the people who I have come across who believe in a God usually have a fear of the unknown. Now fear may be a bad word to use so I'm going to explain myself, what I mean is they do not like the idea that the universe could just appear out of nothing, or that there may be another dimension outside of our universe. So instead of trying to comprehend what the hell is going on and accepting that they will probably never know, they turn to the Creator theory.
Dr. Walter Bishop

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by B4E » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 am

Here we firstly have to ignore the immense number of chance happenings and reactions over the entire 14 billion year existence of the universe that happened to form a cloud in space, which happened to form our galaxy, which happened to form our local stellar neighbourhood and solar system, and our planet, and then creatures that begin to resemble our current species' form five billion years later. Throughout all of this, there have been billions and billions of stars forming and dying for billions of years, each with varying numbers of orbiting worlds, reactions and happenings. Yet this whole process was apparently put into place purely so that god's main creation 'man' would eventually evolve from a soup of goo into the complex organism it is today, only for God to apparently want to wipe it out several times and toy with it for his own amusement.

What's more, there have been several instances throughout the (at least) 100,000 years of human history when our species has been on the brink of extinction. In one case, it's estimated that there were only several thousand of us left. So we now have to accept that during this time God watched with complete indifference over the course of tens of thousands of years until he decided to get stuck in. But then, if a god wanted to contact and educate the people on a slim inhabitable area of a tiny planet, in a tiny corner of an enormous galaxy of billions of stars with billions of planets in their orbits, which itself is a relatively small galaxy compared to the billions of others in the known unthinkably vast universe, then why did he pick a minuscule, traditionally superstitious area on this planet which has a history of plagiarising fairy tales and is, for the most part, illiterate and extremely uneducated? Why not go to, say, China, where at that time lived a more advanced and civilised society that could be better educated? Why pick the worst possible location for this visit if you wished for your deeds to be carried out properly and efficiently?
You could of just posted that Carl Sagan video instead of all that description <roll>

For your first point about God making the universe as it was just so man could evolve as it has and will, maybe he created all that so he could watch man evolve and eventually find out all about the universe in the future and then God will be like <applause>. His motives for creating us is unclear for me. Maybe he wanted to experiment on free will? I don't know. I refuse to believe that Earth is the only thing he concentrates on. Maybe he's staging the largest Age Of Empires game known to anything. Ever. (Your point is very hard to counter, it's one of those things nobody has an universial answer to).

He might of not watched with indifference, he may of just not intervened because he knew the consequences would be more severe. And he knows what is going to happen remember, so if he knew man would die out, he could just change it. I guess that is logical. Why did he pick a 'illiterate and extremely uneducated' part of the world? Just like now, the educated people who think they already have ideas of what and how would maybe resist and reject the God, and how things would of changed if one part of the world simply rejected God.

You're also forgetting that God is ridiculously awkward, the scripture, as you pointed out, has flaws that if forced onto the world would create an immoral world, so for why he picked a uneducated part? Probably because they would bow down to him.
Last edited by B4E on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22 am

B4E wrote:I'll start by saying this is all my opinion, so I don't have to keep saying 'in my opinion' <ok>

How does it feel to be under permanent totalitarian surveillance, every single moment of your life and for eternity after your death? If god is everywhere and watching his creation, he can not only see you doing every single thing but he can also hear you thinking every single thing and has said himself that will judge you ruthlessly on both.

Simply put, I feel fine with God watching. If God was a human, then maybe I would feel disturbed that this one being would be constantly observing every action and thought I had and he could would judge me on everything I did. Humans can be greedy or spiteful (for whatever reason), and you would feel like it is unfair that another man could judge you for everything. However, as God isn't a human and he is.. God, I feel completely fine to be under 'permanent totalitarian surveillance', as you put it. Humans have been around for over 50,000 years, so for God to be observing all humans for that length of time means he's committed to the cause and I trust that he is not using the infinite amount of info he has on each of us to his own advantages. And after your death? That depends on what happens when we die. It's obviously not as simple as 'going to heaven or hell'. Where's the line?
The God of the Old Testament is prone to human qualities such as anger, jealous and vengeance. He is spiteful, as demonstrated with the Tower of Babel, and he is greedy, as shown by forbidding the worship of 'false idols'. At what point in our evolution did he suddenly decide to be interested in surveillance our every neural activity? Considering even Homo Sapiens have been around for 200,000 years, if not necessarily on the same emotional level as of the 50,000 years ago figure you quote. Did he care for the rest of the Homo genus? Or do you buy into the 'testing your faith' cop out?
B4E wrote:Does your god intervene in human affairs, and does he care what you do and answer prayers? Or do you think that he started the universe 14 billion years ago and has sat back watching without getting involved ever since?

I think God intervened with human affairs at first, then decided against it pretty early in for whatever reason.
SpoilerShow
(I just thought about this and it's weird when you think about it. If God knows everything that's happened, everything that's happening, and everything that will happen, does this mean he would know what would happen if he did decide to intervine with the universe somehow, or would it create a gap of knowledge? Might be why he leaves everything as it is)
I don't think he cares to any extent about prayers, maybe due to the point I just made (if he touches something, he doesn't know what will happen) but mainly because the vast majority of them are asking for something that would benefit them or someone else, which usually ends up disadvantaging something else. (If some kid wanted to be taller, and God made him taller, he would be allowed to go on that theme park ride he always wanted, meaning two kids that would of previously got on would have to wait till the next cart, meaning they would make the coach late which means someone different would have to slow down to let the coach go past etc. etc. and everything changes <ohnoes> ).
How could an omnipotent being such as Himself not be able to see the possible consequences of His actions? Are you saying that your god's powers are limited? He's already planned out all these events to whatever degree of pre-determinism/free will you believe in, so tweaks shouldn't be beyond his ability. Surely a better reason for him to conveniently ignore prayers is that they are against or questioning His will?
B4E wrote:Do you agree with these messages and hints at how to live life that are in the bible? Do you believe that they are genuinely the words of a god, considering how tremendously dated these messages and hints are (being fitting for a flat world at the centre of the universe where slavery, misogyny and racism are major parts of life), and how many parts are plagiarised from other earlier literature? Do you not think that humans are capable of deciding on moral actions without the need for these messages?

I'd just like to say I've never fully read the bible, or even got close, but I intend to read it one day just for the fact that I want to see why people say 'that chapter where God does something out of character <disgrace> '.

From what I have read, I agree and disagree with the messages and hints in the Bible. Though I look at everything in the Bible with a slight hint of 'this was when people saw and wrote, there was no google to check if it is impossible for any man to turn water into wine'. For example, when Moses was pestering that authority dude (I can't be bothered checking the story) and effectively blackmailing him to let all those people go, I thought that was pretty s***. Especially when he went and killed all those first born children (or something). However, there are lots of Jesus occasions where he promotes things like equality of stuff in his own way (the good samaritan is the famous one isn't it?), which I find quite interesting in itself. Considering religion is based on testimony, it's pretty bad that I haven't looked into the scripture of the religion I say I believe in, I must admit. The 'plagiarised from other earlier literature' part is a good point which I've seen you make before. I don't know.

Humans are of course capable of deciding moral actions without the messages, and even religion! However, religion does offer a nice set of guidelines as to what is right and wrong.
SpoilerShow
(I was going to delve into a question about if people always made the correct moral choice, would religion as something you could follow exist, as it sounds good in my head when I thought it through, but it doesn't anymore so I'll just leave it there, in case someone else thinks it does)
I don't see anything here to really reply to. I have to question fully subscribing to a god without bothering to read their scriptures. As for the nsfw bit, to me religion is a crutch to explain the contemporarily inexplicable, and to offer the comfort that ignorance and lack of responsibility offer, which was then also adapted to help control the dumb masses.
B4E wrote:What is wrong with picking another god? Why this particular one? Is it because you grew up being told that he exists? If so then do you think every, say, Hindu or Sikh is totally wrong even though they were brought up in the exact same fashion and think the exact same of you? If instead it is because you've educated yourself in most major gods and decided that this is the one for you, why did you decide that? What is more believable about your god than the rest of them? (When forming beliefs obviously it's about which is true or at least the most likely, rather than the most appealing or amusing. For instance, we could believe that there were cakes in our fridges because it sounds nice, but it wouldn't make it so.)

Did I say it was wrong to pick another God? I didn't mean it if I did :p

Why this particular one? I think I said in a previous post that I was part of a faith primary and secondary school, and the religion was R.Catholic. This has been the God that I have been taught all my life, and so I have thought about God in the perspective of the teachings I have been given. Obviously, I only believe in one God, but when I came to the conclusion that yes, he does exist, I was primarily using the aspects that were given to him by Christian teachings. So yes, it is because I grew up being told he exists, and not due to self education, although I have read up on what people say and think on the subject (this thread is a nice example).

I do not think that people who believe in a different God are totally wrong. They were obviously brought up in an alternative culture that believe in a different God. This is where I use the easiest defensive mechnism for religious people there is, and I say that believing in God is a personal thing. Nobody except from myself will ever change my mind about God's existence, and so taking into account other people's beliefs is something I just don't think I should do. There is also a case of ignorance, as admittedly I am not on the same level of knowledge with other religions than I am with my own, meaning I can not compare and contrast between what I believe and what others believe. Good question though.

Finally, what is more believable with my God than what other people believe God is? I think that the way Christianity (if you accept the Bible as not literal when concerning some stuff) has left a lot of key questions vague has allowed me to dwell on what is the answer to them. For example, I fully believe in what it says about life after death, although I do not think it is judged as basic as the scripture may suggest. Heaven and Hell are universal concepts, and with good reason. We understand it, so we can follow it. Some would say this is because it is made up, I say it is because God wants us to go to heaven.

Right, I think that is it. Sorry for the long wait in reply. Good questions by the way, made me think. <ok>
This is what I cannot comprehend about the majority of theists. You were brought up to believe, and then just accept it. When asked to justify it, you say it's what you were taught at school and raised to believe without a so much as a shred of empirical proof in a world filled with other flavours of religion, but because this is the one your parents chose to immerse you in, it's right. It reminds me of a child raised in a vehemently racist family in a racist area, they've been taught that is how it is throughout their formative stages and so they see it as right and are steadfast in their beliefs.

My family is a mix of Irish Catholic and Church of England, I was sent to a Roman Catholic primary school, and by the age of 8 or so I was already questioning how on Earth anyone could believe this rubbish. I guess I just don't understand people who didn't go through that and just happily sat there and were spoon-fed that tripe because they didn't think to see if there was a more logical option. One of the funnier things which helped turn me against Catholicism was daily assemblies where we were expected to sing songs of praise to this almighty deity. Who the f*** wants to believe in a such a narcissistic prick that has his followers sing songs of his supposed omnipotent greatness on a daily basis?
B4E wrote:I have one question. If God doesn't exist, then who started off religion? There's an easy answer, but it makes you think. Religion has become pretty complex, but someone must of started it.
Pretty much did this bit earlier on: "to me religion is a crutch to explain the contemporarily inexplicable, and to offer the comfort that ignorance and lack of responsibility offer, which was then also adapted to help control the dumb masses."

Ignorant prehistoric man sees this ball of fire through the day giving him warmth, light and so much more, ignorant prehistoric man worships it as a god, for he knows nothing of what it is or how it works. Give it nearly 200,000 years and you find that the worship of this Sun deity has got a bit more complex over time, but stems back to the same ball of fire in the sky.

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am

skalpel wrote:<gent>
Seriously though all I meant is if something that's caused so much commotion in the world, so much controversy and has changed people's lives for such a long time in human history then it is in my opinion more worthy of scrutiny and study than monkeys with lasers in their chests.

Personally I consider myself to be agnostic although I also like the concept of ietsism where you believe in some unspecified higher force but not really sure what it is.

I can't bring myself to deny the existence of a certain 'God', no matter which one , but I also refuse to accept that there definitely is a God.

Guess we'll have to wait and see <gent>

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 am

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
<roll>

Thousands of people believed the world was going to end last week based on texts that were thousands of years old. Millions of people believed the world was flat and at the centre of the universe. People believing something isn't evidence of it existing.

I said that there is no evidence of it being 100% true but also no evidence of it not being true.