Does God Exist?

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8442
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Whitchester Mag wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:Dawkins is a moron
Care to elaborate? I'd strongly disagree.
He's an absolute bellend, who uses faulty logic to "prove" god doesn't exist and is more irritating than a Jehovah's Witness.
He has some sort of compulsion to enforce his beliefs on other people, which for some reason he thinks is acceptable, yet the people he targets are critisised for doing the same thing. At least with overly religious people they are usually nice, and are doing what they believe to save your soul. Dawkins just does it for the publicity and to be a dick. He is just riding of the success of The Selfish Gene, which he used other people's work to make profit. The guy is a politician and a wordsmith not a scientist. The selfish gene theory is now widely questioned, but he refuses to accept this and carries on forcing false science, as it suits him, and his wallet.

"Oh look, a giraffes recurrent laryngeal nerve is really long, this proves there is no God" ... Er no it doesn't

People should be allowed to believe what they want, not have someone force their opinions on them, which goes both ways, extreme atheism and extreme religion.

I'm not a religious nut or anything, I just think he's a prick.

User avatar
jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 8874
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by jpg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
Whitchester Mag wrote:
Care to elaborate? I'd strongly disagree.
He's an absolute bellend, who uses faulty logic to "prove" god doesn't exist and is more irritating than a Jehovah's Witness.
He has some sort of compulsion to enforce his beliefs on other people, which for some reason he thinks is acceptable, yet the people he targets are critisised for doing the same thing. At least with overly religious people they are usually nice, and are doing what they believe to save your soul. Dawkins just does it for the publicity and to be a d***. He is just riding of the success of The Selfish Gene, which he used other people's work to make profit. The guy is a politician and a wordsmith not a scientist. The selfish gene theory is now widely questioned, but he refuses to accept this and carries on forcing false science, as it suits him, and his wallet.

"Oh look, a giraffes recurrent laryngeal nerve is really long, this proves there is no God" ... Er no it doesn't

People should be allowed to believe what they want, not have someone force their opinions on them, which goes both ways, extreme atheism and extreme religion.

I'm not a religious nut or anything, I just think he's a prick.
Image

User avatar
Ramone
Interblew
Interblew
Posts: 18640
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 am
Location: The Homeland

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Ramone » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Dawkins is a mega cronut who has only became famous/well thought of because he shouts a lot and is one of the few vocal people in the Atheist camp. I'm fine with people believing what they believe and being willing to defend their point of view but he goes out of his way to find religious people and then mock them.

He's the sort of t*** that thinks someone else's differing opinion invalidates his own.
REQUIEM

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Lord Porpington » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 am

Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
Whitchester Mag wrote:
Care to elaborate? I'd strongly disagree.
He's an absolute bellend, who uses faulty logic to "prove" god doesn't exist and is more irritating than a Jehovah's Witness.
He has some sort of compulsion to enforce his beliefs on other people, which for some reason he thinks is acceptable, yet the people he targets are critisised for doing the same thing. At least with overly religious people they are usually nice, and are doing what they believe to save your soul. Dawkins just does it for the publicity and to be a d***. He is just riding of the success of The Selfish Gene, which he used other people's work to make profit. The guy is a politician and a wordsmith not a scientist. The selfish gene theory is now widely questioned, but he refuses to accept this and carries on forcing false science, as it suits him, and his wallet.

"Oh look, a giraffes recurrent laryngeal nerve is really long, this proves there is no God" ... Er no it doesn't

People should be allowed to believe what they want, not have someone force their opinions on them, which goes both ways, extreme atheism and extreme religion.

I'm not a religious nut or anything, I just think he's a prick.
He doesn't force his beliefs on anyone. He has made books about his research and beliefs, and when he does criticise religion he gives detailed arguments. He may be a bit over-zealous and sometimes come off as a t***, but there have been religious people that have made such dreadful arguments against him and fallen flat on their faces because it's just too easy for them to annihilate them.

He does not try to "prove" that god does not exist. Atheism has nothing to do with proving anything. It's a lack of belief based on evidence, and the onus is on Christians to prove their god exists, and so far there's not a scrap of evidence.

He's a lot like me in the sense that he rejects the idea of a god existing, just the same as you'd reject any other god or magical creature or being.

But if you show us the evidence, we'd gladly get on our knees and pray.

"At least if you get overly-religious people they are usually nice" <facepalm>

Religious people think they are being oppressed when they are criticised by Atheists, but when they tell everyone that they deserve to burn in hell for not following their religion, they say it's part of their religion to tell people this, instead of just shutting the f*** up and going to church like they should do.

Dawkins usually criticises religions, and people challenge him on it and he takes a firm stance and sometimes does seem like a prick. But he doesn't just go out of his way to attack people, and destroys most people with logic and good arguments.

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8442
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Lord Porpington wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
He's an absolute bellend, who uses faulty logic to "prove" god doesn't exist and is more irritating than a Jehovah's Witness.
He has some sort of compulsion to enforce his beliefs on other people, which for some reason he thinks is acceptable, yet the people he targets are critisised for doing the same thing. At least with overly religious people they are usually nice, and are doing what they believe to save your soul. Dawkins just does it for the publicity and to be a d***. He is just riding of the success of The Selfish Gene, which he used other people's work to make profit. The guy is a politician and a wordsmith not a scientist. The selfish gene theory is now widely questioned, but he refuses to accept this and carries on forcing false science, as it suits him, and his wallet.

"Oh look, a giraffes recurrent laryngeal nerve is really long, this proves there is no God" ... Er no it doesn't

People should be allowed to believe what they want, not have someone force their opinions on them, which goes both ways, extreme atheism and extreme religion.

I'm not a religious nut or anything, I just think he's a prick.
He doesn't force his beliefs on anyone. He has made books about his research and beliefs, and when he does criticise religion he gives detailed arguments. He may be a bit over-zealous and sometimes come off as a t***, but there have been religious people that have made such dreadful arguments against him and fallen flat on their faces because it's just too easy for them to annihilate them.

He does not try to "prove" that god does not exist. Atheism has nothing to do with proving anything. It's a lack of belief based on evidence, and the onus is on Christians to prove their god exists, and so far there's not a scrap of evidence.

He's a lot like me in the sense that he rejects the idea of a god existing, just the same as you'd reject any other god or magical creature or being.

But if you show us the evidence, we'd gladly get on our knees and pray.

"At least if you get overly-religious people they are usually nice" <facepalm>

Religious people think they are being oppressed when they are criticised by Atheists, but when they tell everyone that they deserve to burn in hell for not following their religion, they say it's part of their religion to tell people this, instead of just shutting the f*** up and going to church like they should do.

Dawkins usually criticises religions, and people challenge him on it and he takes a firm stance and sometimes does seem like a prick. But he doesn't just go out of his way to attack people, and destroys most people with logic and good arguments.
I don't even know where to begin, so I wont bother.

I said he was a t***, you agreed, so I'm not sure what sort of point you are trying to make.
And he does go out of his way to target religious people, normally the extremists who are easy pickings for anybody. Just because you can steal candy from a baby, doesn't mean you should, nor does it make you a big man.
You've completely changed the topic about what atheism is. I didn't post on here to have a theologian debate, as I can't think of a bigger waste of time for anybody, you can't prove anything either way. I just came on here to call a cronut a cronut, that's all I want to say.

User avatar
Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship
Posts: 18296
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Duke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:16 pm

I may be completely wrong here but I'm sure he has only ever said he doesn't know whether god exists or not as it can't be proven, rather than flat out denying god's existence. I haven't watched an awful lot of him but from what I've seen all he has done is argue against the absolute horse s*** parts of religion that obviously aren't true but people still believe, rather than just telling people god doesnt exist. I may be biased though as I'm not religious myself.

One thing I will say is he's usually 'pitted' against religious maniacs/morons which is a bit of a dick move as they obviously never have the same arguing talent and can't put their views across anywhere near as well
I dunno

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Posts: 21290
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Cal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:30 pm

If you want Dawkins up against a more learned, and probably less insane, opponent than the usual crazies he rounds up for TV...


User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8442
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Marcel Desailly wrote:I may be completely wrong here but I'm sure he has only ever said he doesn't know whether god exists or not as it can't be proven, rather than flat out denying god's existence. I haven't watched an awful lot of him but from what I've seen all he has done is argue against the absolute horse s*** parts of religion that obviously aren't true but people still believe, rather than just telling people god doesnt exist. I may be biased though as I'm not religious myself.

One thing I will say is he's usually 'pitted' against religious maniacs/morons which is a bit of a dick move as they obviously never have the same arguing talent and can't put their views across anywhere near as well
He has said things like "no intelligent designer would ever allow this", which to my mind is the same as saying "there is no intelligent designer"

User avatar
Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship
Posts: 18296
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Duke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
Marcel Desailly wrote:I may be completely wrong here but I'm sure he has only ever said he doesn't know whether god exists or not as it can't be proven, rather than flat out denying god's existence. I haven't watched an awful lot of him but from what I've seen all he has done is argue against the absolute horse s*** parts of religion that obviously aren't true but people still believe, rather than just telling people god doesnt exist. I may be biased though as I'm not religious myself.

One thing I will say is he's usually 'pitted' against religious maniacs/morons which is a bit of a dick move as they obviously never have the same arguing talent and can't put their views across anywhere near as well
He has said things like "no intelligent designer would ever allow this", which to my mind is the same as saying "there is no intelligent designer"
Pretty much. The whole eating/breathing thing is pretty hard to argue with though <laugh>
I dunno

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10484
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:25 pm

I agree that Dawkins is a tool. But we need extremists on both sides so sane people can meet in the middle.

I don't tell religious people they are all stupid and don't want to proselytise them out of it. I'm happy for them to believe as long as they don't force it on others. Dawkins isn't.
He's also a fan of massive hyperbole. My old school in Gateshead is a uber religious state school (Emmanuel). I did not like it, but the education was way better than other options so hey ho. He's written about it in one of his books and it's a mixture of over exaggeration and lies. We had a few science teachers who were creationists and some who won't. He erroneously claimed that they taught creation in science. They all taught big bang & evolution. Some did in lessons say "I don't believe this but it is the accepted science". Teenagers in the west aren't that easily brainwashed, so what happened was all the kids challenged these teachers with the scientific evidence. So this helped train us to question things, be inquisitive and think about science works. Actually turned out a good thing.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

User avatar
Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship
Posts: 18296
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Duke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:33 pm

So some of your teachers said they didn't believe in evolution? IMO if you believe that everyone and every animal on the planet are the inbred descendant of some bloke who built a magic boat and rounded up two of each animal you deserve for someone like Dawkins to tell you you're wrong
I dunno

User avatar
Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 8111
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: England

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Seagull » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Marcel Desailly wrote:So some of your teachers said they didn't believe in evolution? IMO if you believe that everyone and every animal on the planet are the inbred descendant of some bloke who built a magic boat and rounded up two of each animal you deserve for someone like Dawkins to tell you you're wrong
I had a music teacher who was a creationist. He said homosexuality was like playing tennis with a chicken.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10484
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Marcel Desailly wrote:So some of your teachers said they didn't believe in evolution? IMO if you believe that everyone and every animal on the planet are the inbred descendant of some bloke who built a magic boat and rounded up two of each animal you deserve for someone like Dawkins to tell you you're wrong
Yes they should be told they are wrong and indeed we did that! My point was Dawkins lied and claimed they were brainwashing us and refusing to tell us about the scientific consensus (he never accepted invites to come visit). Misrepresenting what they were doing was unfair, they were a harmless minority. He got it raised it parliament 6 times (since it's a partially state funded academy) when it was a non-issue.
If he really wanted to target a bad thing at the school he should have brought up the horrifically short sighted and harmful sex education they gave us.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Lord Porpington » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:22 pm

I

User avatar
Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10484
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Near the ducks

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Lord Porpington wrote:I
think therefore I am?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

JFK-1
Muto's Thumb
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by JFK-1 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm

5 Goals - Hesakmi wrote:
AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
Thousands of people believed the world was going to end last week based on texts that were thousands of years old. Millions of people believed the world was flat and at the centre of the universe. People believing something isn't evidence of it existing.

I said that there is no evidence of it being 100% true but also no evidence of it not being true.
Personally I think I would rephrase that. There is zero evidence of it being even a plausible suggestion while there is masses of evidence of it not being true given that we have demolished almost everything it ever claimed. Which is why it beats a rapid retreat into the God of the gaps sanctuary. Scurrying into gaps it never even knew existed until science pointed it out.

User avatar
Chappy
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze
Posts: 5028
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Chappy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Duke wrote:So some of your teachers said they didn't believe in evolution? IMO if you believe that everyone and every animal on the planet are the inbred descendant of some bloke who built a magic boat and rounded up two of each animal you deserve for someone like Dawkins to tell you you're wrong
Fair one <laugh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Hjl » Wed May 18, 2016 11:22 pm

I live in Texas where most of the population are Christian. Religion here is used as a tool to suppress minorities and legislate their particular brand of morality. Does God exist? Probably not, and if he does im sure he's bloody ashamed of his followers!

It does however seem as illogical to say with any certainty that God exists or he doesn't, in the face of no evidence one way or the other the most sensible choice must be to say, I don't know and await more evidence.

JFK-1
Muto's Thumb
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by JFK-1 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Hjl wrote:I live in Texas where most of the population are Christian. Religion here is used as a tool to suppress minorities and legislate their particular brand of morality. Does God exist? Probably not, and if he does im sure he's bloody ashamed of his followers!

It does however seem as illogical to say with any certainty that God exists or he doesn't, in the face of no evidence one way or the other the most sensible choice must be to say, I don't know and await more evidence.
Are you awaiting more evidence regarding Zeus? Apollo? Poseidon? Leprechauns and fairy godmothers before making a final decision? How much evidence is there already for any of those entities? By chance exactly the same as the Christian God. Absolutely zero evidence.

In the face of zero evidence for any such fantastic proposition it's best to say I will wait till there's even a shred of evidence before I would ever bother giving that even remotely possibly status otherwise we are all left believing in every last fairytale creature that's ever been speculated plus all the countless Gods.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by Hjl » Thu May 19, 2016 12:07 am

JFK-1 wrote:
Hjl wrote:I live in Texas where most of the population are Christian. Religion here is used as a tool to suppress minorities and legislate their particular brand of morality. Does God exist? Probably not, and if he does im sure he's bloody ashamed of his followers!

It does however seem as illogical to say with any certainty that God exists or he doesn't, in the face of no evidence one way or the other the most sensible choice must be to say, I don't know and await more evidence.
Are you awaiting more evidence regarding Zeus? Apollo? Poseidon? Leprechauns and fairy godmothers before making a final decision? How much evidence is there already for any of those entities? By chance exactly the same as the Christian God. Absolutely zero evidence.

In the face of zero evidence for any such fantastic proposition it's best to say I will wait till there's even a shred of evidence before I would ever bother giving that even remotely possibly status otherwise we are all left believing in every last fairytale creature that's ever been speculated plus all the countless Gods.

A fair point, I suppose my answer has evolved since moving to the US. Being an atheist in this part of the world makes getting work and advancement much more difficult. Almost a social pariah. So I say undecided to avoid saying definitively that there is no God.

Post Reply