The Falklands.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

The Falklands.

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:56 pm

or ''las Malvinas'' as the Argentinians would have it.

I'm sure you are all aware that this year is the 30th anniversary of the war. It began on Friday 2 April 1982, when Argentine forces invaded and occupied the Falkland Islands and South Georgia. The British government dispatched a naval task force to engage the Argentine Navy and Air Force, and retake the islands by amphibious assault. The resulting conflict lasted 74 days and ended with the Argentine surrender on 14 June (my birthday <diva> ) 1982, which returned the islands to British control. 649 Argentine military personnel, 255 British military personnel and three Falkland Islanders died during the conflict.

As fate would have it the 30th anniversary of the first conflict has coincided with a rise in tensions over the Islands between the Uk and Argentina. Mainly over the oil found there ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8527307.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Cristina Kirchner's re-election on the promise to tackle the issue in which she won a higher % of the vote than Juan Peron ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12284208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) And the British decision to Deploy a Type 45 Destroyer to the South Atlantic, a Destroyer generally considered as one of the most advanced in the world, which Argentina believes is a sign of increased militrisation of the islands ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16810417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) They will take the matter to the UN.

Very long winded article I know but it's a matter which interests me greatly, what is your take on it all?

1) Should the Falklands be British?
2) Would Argentina ever invade again?
3) What should the British stance be on the matter?

Questions are just a rough guideline for debate, feel free to bring up other issues and developments, despite the fact im probably the only person on the forum to give such a massive s*** about some rocks in the South Atlantic <laugh>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: The Falklands.

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:14 pm

The islanders have the right to self determination and so far they've always chosen to remain British. If they wanted to be Argentinean then they'd only have to vote for that and negotiations would commence on the hand over of the islands.

I don't think Argentina would invade again. They have been trying to get this through the correct diplomatic channels to open up negotiations and raise the global awareness of their claims. At the same time; Britain has re-iterated it's stance on the subject that the population wish to remain British.

From a South American viewpoint, I used to drink fairly regularly with an Argentinean ambassador and when I asked a few years back what the general public thought of the Malvinas; he said they weren’t really that interested in them.

The latest revelations about an oil field (yet to be substantiated and just mooted that the science looks positive) will change that perspective for Argentina and its citizens but a war to claim them is not really an option.

We have the same stance on Gibraltar with the Spanish who are now saying they want it returned to them. If the locals wish to remain British; then so be it and all attempts to honour their wishes should be undertaken.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:15 pm

1) Yes the Falklands should be British. Why ... because the people of the Falklands want to be. The islands have been under British control since 1833. Argentina in its current form didn't even come into being until 1852 (I think), boundaries were still being established up until then. If we wan't to go back that far then most countries would have counter claims for some of their current territory and the whole world could justify going to war. It is time to draw a line in the sand and say that the wishes of the current residents takes precedence over historical claims.

2) Possibly. But I doubt they have any belief that it is a battle they could win so they would do it as a last resort.

3) Diplomatic but firm. Pretty much agree with what has so far been done and said.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:50 pm

1) Should the Falklands be British?
As long as the people living there wish to be British, they should obviously remain British.

2) Would Argentina ever invade again?
Unlikely, so far the only wisps of nonsense regarding Argentinian right to the islands that comes from Fernandez is whenever there's an election coming soon and she needs the national pride vote.

3) What should the British stance be on the matter?
As has been. Stand up for the rights of the people who live there; if they wish to be British then so shall they remain.

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:17 pm

1) Yes - The people are British.

2) Maybe - If they are very very stupid they may try.

3) As it is now, but don't let them think they are in charge.

Should they invade we would have no choice but to kill them. (in a way that didn't offend their footballers).

Protein Cheik
Miggy's Smiles

Post by Protein Cheik » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:29 am

For me what rather irritates me is the Argentines' petty nature when it comes to the Falklands. They just can't let it go. In '94 they added into the Constitution a bit which affirms the belonging of the Islands to them. When there was a conference on Fishing Sustainability the Argentines stormed out after finding out canditates from the Falklands were there.

Just now they've filed a complaint with the UN after a British warship was deployed there and Prince William is set to do a tour there as a search and rescue pilot. And they just renamed their football league 'Belgrano' after the ship that was sunk during the war.

It's petty, they can't seem to accept that they were in the wrong (Like Turkey with their genocide and the Israelis with their treatment of the Palestinians).

The British government will only ever hand over control if the Falklands residents want them to. And none of them do. Simple.

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 am

If they invade again we will kick arse. The islanders have a right to decide their own fate.
Originally Posted by Somebodys pinched my sombrero......
Later in the interview, Santon confirmed that, indeed, he has never seen a mackem in Milan

nufc4life wrote:
They do have there own BRAND as I put it ha ah ha , let's put it this way I didn't lick her gash just emptied my sack and made my excuses ha ha

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 am

The inhabitants wish to remain British, Argentina are only interested due to the oil. Argentina have no right to try and claim the land merely because it's near them in terms of geographical location, it's the will of the people that's important and as long as they wish to remain British then so be it.

GRB
I Survived The Onslaught Highscore Failure

Post by GRB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm

i think theyd struggle if they invaded especially with the new Destroyer on its way. Plus our ground troops are the best. Shame about our Air Force tho
ImageImage

Man utd play on Munich anniversary, tubes run on 7/7, planes still fly on 9/11, mackems play on 31/10.. Time to move on!!”

East Stand
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by East Stand » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Argentina only now have taken interest in the island again, since Rockhopper has found petroleum resources close by.

Yes the Falklands are British and shall remain British. The fact Cameron is saying that 'as long as the islander want to be British, it remains a British territory' is a partly a smokescreen for the fight for crude. Significant pay-zones have been found off the coast and as long as the Falklands are classed as British soil, the resources belong British and rightly so!
The Argentinians are claiming it is there soil due to geographical positioning of the island. We are claiming as we colonised it back in the 16th century.

The islands should remain British, as we can gain more with, rather than without.

It's just like having noisy neighbours, the Arge's have denied all Falklands flying flags to dock at Argentinian ports. They have stopped all supplies and flights to the island. In my opinion this only shoots themselves in the foot as there are plenty of Arge's who work at the Falklands and they have stopped the food supply which they provide. Halting their own businesses from profiting and contributing to their own economy. Again, an easy solution for the food supplies within British interests is to fly to the Falklands from the UK via Ascension Island where there is an old british military base, and what we used in the Falklands war, which is part of the British overseas territory. Whether or not this actually happens is up to our government...

Another point is the fact that the Arge's have come out causing distress over the Falklands, over oil, The arge's could have taken a different approach, but instead burn't their bridges, when they could have been the main port for the crude and been the petroleum refinery and exporting which would have boosted their own economy hugely! Once again, shot themselves in the foot, as the land will never be Argentinian.

The fact the USA are mean't to be our ally...
...well surprise, surprise, their most recent stance is they want both countries, Great Britain and Argentina to resolve the matter diplomatically. They clearly don't want to back the UK and disregard Argentina as they know of the consequences. Argentina are a member of the UNASUR which is the Latin American equivalent of the European Union, in which members of the UNASUR have backed Argentina in claiming the Falklands, one of which is Venezuela a strong ally of Argentina. The USA have a great interest in Venezuela, as they have one of the largest oil fields in the world. and it's a lot bloody closer than Saudi Arabia. So they don't want to damage their own interests in backing a long standing ally, UK, and would rather bend over backwards for the South Americans.

I think it's only a matter of time before the Arge's invade again. Oil production will begin over the next couple of years. That's not a problem for the oil operators, it's a problem for our country. If we don't defend our land, then 250 of our own men died for nothing in 1982. As long as we remain vigilant over the **** then we will succeed in keeping the Falklands British.

If you actually think the Falklands should become Argentinian soil, ask yourself, should the USA give Alaska back to the Russians? Should Scotland give the Shetlands back to Norway? ...Bollocks!

If they do invade, I hope we have HMS Conqueror Mark 2!

Rule Britannia!

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm

The residents wish to remain British and therefore the island's will remain under British rule.

The whole debate has just been brought back up for political reasons with the Argentinian president looking for the whole 'National Pride' stance.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm

...oh and something to do with oil.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17184955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How pathetic can you get? <doh>

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Argentina are pathetic.

GRB

Post by GRB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Stopped the cruise ships docking now <laugh>
ImageImage

Man utd play on Munich anniversary, tubes run on 7/7, planes still fly on 9/11, mackems play on 31/10.. Time to move on!!”

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:45 am

Gutierrez's Right Boot wrote:Stopped the cruise ships docking now <laugh>
Don't think that will effect the Costa Cruise Lines. They seem able to dock anywhere.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Im with Shola Amoeba and his stance on wars.. we should just invade Argentina and give them to colo as part of a new contract