Why is prohibition still practiced?

Tash
Tindall's Hoody

Why is prohibition still practiced?

Post by Tash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 pm

It clearly doesn't work.

Regardless about how we feel about certain drugs and regardless of the effects on the human body, they will always be available. Billions has been spent trying to fight drugs, but it's proven pointless. All that happens when you ban things like drugs is make a black market. It leads to gangsters becoming rich, and it quite often leads to gang fights and people getting killed.

As damaging as they are on your health, people will get them from somewhere. I've seen people in the middle of crowded areas snorting the s***.

It's the same as prostitution. There's absolutely no point in keeping this illegal. It just makes normal human beings, doing what people have been doing for thousands of years, into criminals. If it were legalised, then those involved could be protected, and STD's would be avoided as condoms would be required during use. It would also lower rates of rape, not only on prostitutes, but on average people. Wouldn't it be better for a horny bastard to have sex with a prostitute, rather than burst one day and rape someone out of sexual frustration?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Why is prohibition still practiced?

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 pm

It takes time for laws to reflect social change and scientific advances, especially in this era of career politicians scared to make a ripple and still having society shackled by the organised religion. Just look at how drawn out and opposed the legalisation of gay marriage has been. In time the changes will hopefully come, as in Portugal or more recently in Maryland/Washington.

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:14 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_20067_5- ... on_p2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

this space reserved for particularly amusing quotes and/or images.

With friends like these, who needs herpes?

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Greg wrote:It would also lower rates of rape, not only on prostitutes, but on average people. Wouldn't it be better for a horny bastard to have sex with a prostitute, rather than burst one day and rape someone out of sexual frustration?
This bit reminded of this:
Tash wrote:[Titus Bramble] earns 40k a week. Instead of going out raping women, why doesn't he just buy a prostitute and ask her to scream while he fucks her or something?
<awe>

I do agree with what you're saying. People should be free to make their own lifestyle choices, the government don't care about the public's rights or health or happiness though, they care about making money, allowing widespread drug use would no doubt reduce the productivity of the national workforce and damage our economy. Personally I don't give a s*** about the economy, and they've f***ed it up anyway, they might as well give us drugs to numb the pain of unemployment and spiralling living costs.

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Le Quiff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Portugal seem to have drug control sorted really. Instead of punishment they offer help of dealing with drugs. Personally I'd like to see it happen as at the end of the day what right do the government have to tell us what we can and cannot do to our own bodies?
It's not about money... It's about sending a message.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 pm

That Tash quote <laugh>!

But in all seriousness I very much doubt the reason people rape is down to sexual frustration. If it was then 16 year old boys would be raping people all over the place.

TheLittleGeordie
Incestuous Banter Runner Up
Incestuous Banter Runner Up

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Tash not understanding anything <awe>
Like a seahorse in the night, he rides with haste to his beloved's domain.

He is the silent guardian, the practical idealist, the man of peace prepared for war.

He is a Mackem.

Tash
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Tash » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 am

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
Greg wrote:It would also lower rates of rape, not only on prostitutes, but on average people. Wouldn't it be better for a horny bastard to have sex with a prostitute, rather than burst one day and rape someone out of sexual frustration?
This bit reminded of this:
Tash wrote:[Titus Bramble] earns 40k a week. Instead of going out raping women, why doesn't he just buy a prostitute and ask her to scream while he fucks her or something?
<awe>

I do agree with what you're saying. People should be free to make their own lifestyle choices, the government don't care about the public's rights or health or happiness though, they care about making money, allowing widespread drug use would no doubt reduce the productivity of the national workforce and damage our economy. Personally I don't give a s*** about the economy, and they've f***ed it up anyway, they might as well give us drugs to numb the pain of unemployment and spiralling living costs.
What the hell is this about Titus Bramble?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

If you think that prohibition is strict now, wait until I rule the world...

First new rule: If anyone says "Can I axe yous a question?", I'll prohibit their use of oxygen!