Offensive.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Offensive.

Post by skalpel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Some people talk of being 'offended' by something; a word or picture, perhaps even a song or dress code. Other people believe that being 'offended' doesn't really mean anything and it's a phrase tossed around without much thought to its real meaning.

I imagine most people would be offended if somebody assaulted them or threatened them/somebody they love, but perhaps not, perhaps you are laid back even to this degree. What is your take on this? What offends you? When that something offends you, what does that mean? Does, say, reading a certain swear word or seeing a style of art - even when not directed at you - make you feel annoyed that somebody thought of putting it out there?

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Re: Offensive.

Post by Smudger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:14 pm

No particular swear words offend me, (as a prolific swearer myself,) and racism and homophobia goes without saying as incredibly offensive, even if not directed at me or relative to me, it's the ignorance as much as anything else.

I'm only really offended by insults of a personal nature, directed at me or family.

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Im only really offended when its directed at me, pictures don't really cause offence unless extraordinary circumstances occur

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I get offended whenever I have to read text speak.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Homophobia offends me for some reason. I think it has something to do with my dad being gay. Racism offends me a bit as well. Swearing not so much because I see that as a way of emphasising emotion.
REQUIEM

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Violence and terrible (as in beyond abysmal) grammar offends me. Other than that...pretty much nothing.

There's a difference for me with offence and disgust. For example, homophobia, racism and especially those Gary Speed things disgust me, more because it's horrible that people can get away with it all, but none directly offend me.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Synonyms: offend, insult, affront, outrage
These verbs mean to cause resentment, humiliation, or hurt. To offend is to cause displeasure, wounded feelings, or repugnance in another: "He often offended men who might have been useful friends" (John Lothrop Motley).
Going by that, a lot of stuff offends me.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

L-T-F
Shelvey's Precious

Post by L-T-F » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm not much of a swearer, never use the F or C word, the language used at work is eye watering at times, the worst offenders are middle aged women, we have a couple of young boys there who look embarrassed at times.

When the NSFW, was introduced on the other forum, it was to protect people in the workplace, it was more of a concern to me there were a couple of fifteen and sixteen year olds who were frequent posters, I did not feel comfortable some things they were seeing.

That said, I'm not naive enough to think kids dont see and hear the same things when they're with mates, amongst your peers makes it more acceptable, transcending a generation, seems wrong to me.

My best friend is a Medical Professional and can swear for England, but I know she absolutely hates one of the few swear words I use, (and I don't use it often), she said she would 'Drop kick me' if I ever say it in front of her. <erm>
"It's All About The Football"

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Howay L_T_F! You'll have to tell us what that word is. Just to see if offends us like. <ok>
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm in the same camp as the people here who have said they aren't offended by something unless it's directed squarely at themselves or somebody close who they care about.
I find it exasperating that humans can be so unbelievably stupid at times as to have a racist or homophobic nature but I'd fall short of saying I'd be offended. Though if I were with somebody, who I didn't particularly know, who was on the receiving end of prejudiced abuse, I think I probably would be offended simply by the fact that I was having to be in earshot of the incredibly stupid perpetrator.

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 pm

i am very rarely offended by anything. Maybe threats and things like that towards people i care about (not me). If a threat is directed towards me i am big enough to deal with it, it doesn't offend me, maybe if its a big thug like person it would scare me but not offend me. There are things i don't like but i wouldn't call them offensive, although maybe i find people who are easily offended offensive because of their pathetic-ness.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Don't really get offended by any words as such, I sometimes get wound up but not offended. People should be allowed to say what they like as long as they don't actually discriminate someone. For example people should be allowed to say they dislike a certain race as long as they are impartial if they are doing a job interview etc ,which obviously 9/10 they won't be and can therefore be punished. People should be allowed to say stupid things and we should be allowed to verbally tear them apart because of their views and show them more rational view point using reason.

Hatem Is A Geordie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hatem Is A Geordie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I don't get offended that easily, it would take constant abuse to get me offended really.

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:12 pm

I get offended when I see chivvy bellends getting off scot free when they mug old people. The same old people who fought for their parents freedom.
Sometimes a vigilante is a good idea...
Originally Posted by Somebodys pinched my sombrero......
Later in the interview, Santon confirmed that, indeed, he has never seen a mackem in Milan

nufc4life wrote:
They do have there own BRAND as I put it ha ah ha , let's put it this way I didn't lick her gash just emptied my sack and made my excuses ha ha

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 pm

I rarely get offended by things such as racism and homophobia, but that's because the stuff I see/hear is never serious, it's normally just a joke. However with racist/homophobic jokes there is a line that people seem to know not to cross, like when the joke becomes personal or about things such as the holocaust or slavery.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Wedge Head Tiote wrote:I rarely get offended by things such as racism and homophobia, but that's because the stuff I see/hear is never serious, it's normally just a joke. However with racist/homophobic jokes there is a line that people seem to know not to cross, like when the joke becomes personal or about things such as the holocaust or slavery.
Why? People should be allowed to make those jokes, if your offended be offended they should be allowed to make those jokes as you should be allowed to think they are a knob, and tell them to f*** off.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 pm

I don't find personal insults at all offensive, especially if it's just name calling. It frustrates me that people say that others should be sacked for remarks they've made, or in extreme cases press charges. What is and isn't offensive is hugely subjective but nobody has any tolerance at all of actions which cross their own personal threshold of what is and isn't acceptable.

I don't like anything on ITV (it's literally all s***), but I don't complain about it and demand that it be removed from the airwaves. If you don't like someone or something just don't have anything to do with it, don't demand that everything is changed to suit your own personal taste.

What people say becomes unacceptable when it's threatening, inciting hatred or persistent harassment. Apart from that if something's not to your taste just ignore it. Can't stand totalitarians who think the world should be tailored to their own preference, just f*** off.

Intolerance offends me.

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:
Wedge Head Tiote wrote:I rarely get offended by things such as racism and homophobia, but that's because the stuff I see/hear is never serious, it's normally just a joke. However with racist/homophobic jokes there is a line that people seem to know not to cross, like when the joke becomes personal or about things such as the holocaust or slavery.
Why? People should be allowed to make those jokes, if your offended be offended they should be allowed to make those jokes as you should be allowed to think they are a knob, and tell them to f*** off.
I didn't say I get offended by the jokes, some are actually quite funny, whether you agree with them or not, but in general they have no effect on me. It just seems to me that people know when others start taking them seriously and not in a jokey way.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

aBSOLUTELYgLORIOUS wrote:I don't find personal insults at all offensive, especially if it's just name calling. It frustrates me that people say that others should be sacked for remarks they've made, or in extreme cases press charges. What is and isn't offensive is hugely subjective but nobody has any tolerance at all of actions which cross their own personal threshold of what is and isn't acceptable.

I don't like anything on ITV (it's literally all s***), but I don't complain about it and demand that it be removed from the airwaves. If you don't like someone or something just don't have anything to do with it, don't demand that everything is changed to suit your own personal taste.

What people say becomes unacceptable when it's threatening, inciting hatred or persistent harassment. Apart from that if something's not to your taste just ignore it. Can't stand totalitarians who think the world should be tailored to their own preference, just f*** off.

Intolerance offends me.
Brilliant post <applause>.

I'm surprised you aren't at all offended by personal insults though. Not even slightly? What about if somebody made a seriously disturbing wise crack about a dying family member of yours or something like that? You wouldn't be annoyed and disgusted that they'd said it? Or do you mean personal as in specifically aimed at you; water off a ducks back and all of that?

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 pm

skalpel wrote:Brilliant post <applause>.

I'm surprised you aren't at all offended by personal insults though. Not even slightly? What about if somebody made a seriously disturbing wise crack about a dying family member of yours or something like that? You wouldn't be annoyed and disgusted that they'd said it? Or do you mean personal as in specifically aimed at you; water off a ducks back and all of that?
Yeah I mean specifically aimed at me, I'd be more riled about abuse aimed at family or close friends than myself. Personal criticism from someone I respect can sometimes be quite hard to take, but general abuse doesn't really get to me.