Instinctive fear of the sea?

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Instinctive fear of the sea?

Post by Lord Porpington » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I love and hate the sea. I go down to tynemouth often, down to the rocks and watch the sea. I love the smell of the shore.

But I cringe of the idea of swimming in the open sea. I hate it.

Other humans cannot intimidate me. Death by gun, knife and other things doesn't frighten me too much.

But death by drowning? Terrifying!

I've just always felt scared of the ocean. I see people diving from cliffs into the ocean and thinking "wtf?".

Does anyone else fear the sea?

TheLittleGeordie
Incestuous Banter Runner Up
Incestuous Banter Runner Up

Re: Instinctive fear of the sea?

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Being really far out in the open sea is horrible <neg> I read too much about sharks
Like a seahorse in the night, he rides with haste to his beloved's domain.

He is the silent guardian, the practical idealist, the man of peace prepared for war.

He is a Mackem.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:19 am

I love the sea.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Acid Hippo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Acid Hippo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:55 am

The sea is awesome, I love swimming in it. Death by anything is pretty s***, really, however you look at it, and whatever it is. I mean, I love apple sauce, but death by apple sauce doesn't really sound like a good thing.
<monster>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 am

Bateman wrote:The sea is awesome, I love swimming in it. Death by anything is pretty s***, really, however you look at it, and whatever it is. I mean, I love apple sauce, but death by apple sauce doesn't really sound like a good thing.
What about death by snoo snoo?

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I love swimming, but have had a couple of episodes while sea swimming where I got genuinely panicked. Once when I went for an early morning swim in Egypt, into a swarm of little jellyfish. Another time when I went to swim out to a rock in the Finnish Gulf and misjudged how far it was. You can go so suddenly from having fun to thinking you're going to die when you're swimming. The realisation that you're too far from help and you're completely reliant on your own abilities.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 am

There are more dangers accompanied with the sea.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

If I'm under the waves, I'm fine, but if I'm on the surface unable to see down, all alone, it sends a shiver down my spine.
This actually happened to me a few years ago in Mexico. I was scuba diving with two other people, one of whom used all his O2 and so had to return to the boat, the other guy went with him and I stayed down, with a couple of sharks and barracudas, but I felt fine. About 10 minutes went by, and my O2 was now getting low, I couldn't see the boat, or remember which way they had gone so I stayed down as long as I could, the idea of running out of O2 was a lot less terrifying than being stuck on the surface. Eventually I had to surface, and it was probably the most unnerving two minutes of my life, as I located, signaled and then entered the boat, and my lower body dangled unprotected into the unseen waters below.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm

I've always been a bit wary of oceans, seas, lakes et al because fish **** in them.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 pm

I was just talking about this the other day. Not being able to see whats underneath you freaks the s*** out of me. Horrid

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:If I'm under the waves, I'm fine, but if I'm on the surface unable to see down, all alone, it sends a shiver down my spine.
This actually happened to me a few years ago in Mexico. I was scuba diving with two other people, one of whom used all his O2 and so had to return to the boat, the other guy went with him and I stayed down, with a couple of sharks and barracudas, but I felt fine. About 10 minutes went by, and my O2 was now getting low, I couldn't see the boat, or remember which way they had gone so I stayed down as long as I could, the idea of running out of O2 was a lot less terrifying than being stuck on the surface. Eventually I had to surface, and it was probably the most unnerving two minutes of my life, as I located, signaled and then entered the boat, and my lower body dangled unprotected into the unseen waters below.
Sounds like you'd love this film!

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:If I'm under the waves, I'm fine, but if I'm on the surface unable to see down, all alone, it sends a shiver down my spine.
Sounds like you'd love this film!

<yikes>
At least they had each other!
I might have to give that a watch at some point, everything in the trailer was basically what was going through my mind.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Death by drowning would be one of my preferred ways of dying. A few moments of pain and panic then your brain knocks itself out and you're gone.

It's probably second to shitting myself to death which would be hilarious
I dunno

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Marcel Desailly wrote:Death by drowning would be one of my preferred ways of dying. A few moments of pain and panic then your brain knocks itself out and you're gone.

How is that in any way preferable to suffocating? Exact same mechanism on ly a hell load less pain and spasming.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Hate the sea, hate swimming and the idea of drowning to death is probably the worst thing in the world.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:01 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:Hate the sea, hate swimming and the idea of drowning to death is probably the worst thing in the world.
That's quite interesting seeing as your a boat. Now, tell me about your relationship with your mother <freud>

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Tirer le Ryan Oison Une wrote:
Marcel Desailly wrote:Death by drowning would be one of my preferred ways of dying. A few moments of pain and panic then your brain knocks itself out and you're gone.

How is that in any way preferable to suffocating? Exact same mechanism on ly a hell load less pain and spasming.
Don't you go unconscious as soon as you inhale the water? I dunno, maybe suffocating would be better
I dunno

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Marcel Desailly wrote:
Don't you go unconscious as soon as you inhale the water? I dunno, maybe suffocating would be better
No.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Marcel Desailly wrote:
A minority of people may go unconscious before their body forcibly inhales, but most don't, and once you inhale a tiny bit you start to choke making it impossible to stop.

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 pm

It would be better to be burned than stabbed, suffocated or hanged.

You go unconscious pretty quickly if you go on fire. Getting stabbed in the bladder can take hours upon hours. Suffocation could take minutes, same as being hanged.