Is global warming a myth?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: Is global warming a myth?

Post by Ramone » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:10 pm

TheLittleGeordie wrote:I know that sounds bad and everything but 900km³ per year doesn't really sound like very much to be honest
It does when you consider we only have 7000km cubed left <worried>
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Ramone wrote:
TheLittleGeordie wrote:I know that sounds bad and everything but 900km³ per year doesn't really sound like very much to be honest
? There is 16 million km cubed of ice during winter in the Arctic.

e - Not that I think 900km³ is a small amount or anything, just not sure where the 7k came from.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:18 pm

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:

e - Not that I think 900km³ is a small amount or anything, just not sure where the 7k came from.
Probably meant 7,000,000km³ in the Summer, since the Arctic cap apparently shrinks to roughly half the volume in the summer.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:

It's in the article but I think (read: hope) they're talking about a specific place as opposed to the whole world.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Cal wrote:
skalpel wrote:

Probably meant 7,000,000km³ in the Summer, since the Arctic cap apparently shrinks to roughly half the volume in the summer.
Yeah that would make sense.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Ramone wrote:
skalpel wrote:

It's in the article but I think (read: hope) they're talking about a specific place as opposed to the whole world.
I'd hope its just a bad typo, as Cal suggests. 7000 would be a terrifying prospect <laugh>.

TheLittleGeordie
Incestuous Banter Runner Up

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Obviously it's a huge amount but when you think about how much there is, as a percentage it isn't really very much. Also like Cal pointed out, it varies an aweful lot depending on the season and I'm not a climate scientist or anything but if it drops by 9,000,000Km³ every summer which doesn't seem to cause any serious problems then I'm not going to get too worked up about an extra 0.0001%

But If Ramones right then we're all doomed <yikes> <laugh>
Like a seahorse in the night, he rides with haste to his beloved's domain.

He is the silent guardian, the practical idealist, the man of peace prepared for war.

He is a Mackem.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:27 pm

TheLittleGeordie wrote:Obviously it's a huge amount but when you think about how much there is, as a percentage it isn't really very much. Also like Cal pointed out, it varies an aweful lot depending on the season and I'm not a climate scientist or anything but if it drops by 9,000,000Km³ every summer which doesn't seem to cause any serious problems then I'm not going to get too worked up about an extra 0.0001%

It doesn't seem like much, no, but it's still an increase which will get progressively worse over time unless something is done to reverse it. Consider the impact on the water levels of the oceans too, if it's just ignored.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:31 pm

There will be no more ice in 10 years <ohnoes>
REQUIEM

TheLittleGeordie

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:36 pm

skalpel wrote:
TheLittleGeordie wrote:Obviously it's a huge amount but when you think about how much there is, as a percentage it isn't really very much. Also like Cal pointed out, it varies an aweful lot depending on the season and I'm not a climate scientist or anything but if it drops by 9,000,000Km³ every summer which doesn't seem to cause any serious problems then I'm not going to get too worked up about an extra 0.0001%

It doesn't seem like much, no, but it's still an increase which will get progressively worse over time unless something is done to reverse it. Consider the impact on the water levels of the oceans too, if it's just ignored.
Oh yeh obviously if we ignore it it'll get very bad. I don't deny it's a problem I just think that the immediate dangers are being overstated and a lot of the media is being very alarmist like for instance in that BBC article it didn't give any sense of scale and just blurted out this seemingly huge number that would get lots of people panicing

I still think we should go with my 'Kill all the fish' plan that I mentioned on here somewhere

He is the silent guardian, the practical idealist, the man of peace prepared for war.

He is a Mackem.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:39 pm

TheLittleGeordie wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Oh yeh obviously if we ignore it it'll get very bad. I don't deny it's a problem I just think that the immediate dangers are being overstated and a lot of the media is being very alarmist like for instance in that BBC article it didn't give any sense of scale and just blurted out this seemingly huge number that would get lots of people panicing

I still think we should go with my 'Kill all the fish' plan that I mentioned on here somewhere
<laugh> at Kill the Fish plan. Yeah you're right though, about sensationalist media. They'll do it with any opportunity that arises, it's just unfortunate that them making a s*** storm out of global warming is causing some people to swing far beyond cynicism and into disbelief, which is foolish because it is an actual problem that needs to be addressed.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I wonder what's preferable, exiting this ice age (meaning no more ice on the caps), or entering another glacial period. No idea when the former is expected, or if it's possible to force it, the latter is estimated to be at least 50,000 years away.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 am

Cal wrote:I wonder what's preferable, exiting this ice age (meaning no more ice on the caps), or entering another glacial period. No idea when the former is expected, or if it's possible to force it, the latter is estimated to be at least 50,000 years away.
50,000 years!! <yikes>

I'd best buy a new winter coat.

StoneyNUFC
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by StoneyNUFC » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Silly and he clearly isn't very well informed, but makes me laugh. "Do your job" and his one on "America" are brilliant. "tell me, why does the rest of the world hate america.. BECAUSE WE'RE ASSHOLES. look at what we're doing right now..we're blowing another country to smitherines and half of us don't even know where the f*** it is!"

[youtube]q71cMRGXx9o[/youtube]
"A good martial artist does not become tense but ready, not thinking but yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come." - Bruce lee
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Cheik the room
Banned
Banned

Post by Cheik the room » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Been said already but, it's not a myth, but, as has happened countless times in history, it will go back down again almost regardless of what humanoids do. It's just natural.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 am

Cheik the room wrote:Been said already but, it's not a myth, but, as has happened countless times in history, it will go back down again almost regardless of what humanoids do. It's just natural.
Apart from the fact it is melting at a rate never seen before, or judged to have melted by through scientific techniques. I don't doubt we are in a warming period, but it is happening ay a far quicker rate than it should be.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Cheik the room
Banned
Banned

Post by Cheik the room » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
Cheik the room wrote:Been said already but, it's not a myth, but, as has happened countless times in history, it will go back down again almost regardless of what humanoids do. It's just natural.
Apart from the fact it is melting at a rate never seen before, or judged to have melted by through scientific techniques. I don't doubt we are in a warming period, but it is happening ay a far quicker rate than it should be.
On record yes. In history, even scientists admit they couldn't speculate on that.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Whether global warming is natural or man-made the potential for humanity if we had control of the climate in which we live is endless, for that reason I'm all for technology to reverse its effects, and despise technology such as hybrid cars which are designed to make people feel like they're doing something good.
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

this space reserved for particularly amusing quotes and/or images.

With friends like these, who needs herpes?

Cheik the room
Banned
Banned

Post by Cheik the room » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:23 pm

By the time ice melting becomes a serious problem, the natural swing will have temperatures dropping again, we're talking hundreds and hundreds of years time here.

TheLittleGeordie

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 pm

I read something interesting the other day. In the aftermath of 9/11 all flights in America were cancelled. You'll all probably know that the contrails that come off aeroplanes wing help to cool the atmosphere down. Anyway there where a couple of measurements that suggested that in all the areas under the busiest flight paths the temperature rose by over a degree in 3 days <yikes>

Obviously there were probably a fair few problems with that data, a couple of days isn't long enough to get really detailed results ect ect. But it's quite interesting, the fact that just that can have a far more dramatic effect than what we've seen in the last 50 years or so.

He is a Mackem.