Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Money & More

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Re: The Message of Hate Thread

Post by Speedo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 pm

So CTR, are you suggesting that sexism is not prolific in society? I'm not a mad feminist by any means, but do you think that the pay gap, their portrayal in the media, LAD culture's rampant sexism etc. are not issues? Because if you do, you are demonstrably wrong.
I had the first custom w***

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Speedo wrote:So CTR, are you suggesting that sexism is not prolific in society? I'm not a mad feminist by any means, but do you think that the pay gap, their portrayal in the media, LAD culture's rampant sexism etc. are not issues? Because if you do, you are demonstrably wrong.
I can't see how this whole thing is sexist. Plenty of women make comments about how good looking men are and I've been at football matches before and heard women discussing those things. No one complains about it and its an understandable comment that you would expect them to make. Yet when men say that a women doing keepy ups is hot its somehow sexist.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm

SpoilerShow
Kindly deeds done for free!

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm

TJR wrote:
Speedo wrote:So CTR, are you suggesting that sexism is not prolific in society? I'm not a mad feminist by any means, but do you think that the pay gap, their portrayal in the media, LAD culture's rampant sexism etc. are not issues? Because if you do, you are demonstrably wrong.
I can't see how this whole thing is sexist. Plenty of women make comments about how good looking men are and I've been at football matches before and heard women discussing those things. No one complains about it and its an understandable comment that you would expect them to make. Yet when men say that a women doing keepy ups is hot its somehow sexist.
It's not that you can't find people attractive, or even discuss who you think is attractive or why you think they are attractive. It's when it's the first thing, the main thing, sometimes the only thing, that matters about a girl. The whole point I was making was that 101GG, Lad Bible et al. are almost incapable of appreciating anything done by a woman without commenting on her physical appearance.

Jesus, I feel like I'm against the whole bloody forum here.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:42 pm

I think 99% of the bloody forum really can't be arsed to deal with this s*** right now.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Speedo wrote:
TJR wrote:
It's not that you can't find people attractive, or even discuss who you think is attractive or why you think they are attractive. It's when it's the first thing, the main thing, sometimes the only thing, that matters about a girl. The whole point I was making was that 101GG, Lad Bible et al. are almost incapable of appreciating anything done by a woman without commenting on her physical appearance.

The only reason they posted that video was because she was a good looking lass doing keepy ups. If she wasn't good looking no one would be interested in the video, as her keepy up skill isn't really that impressive. I can do keepy ups but if I posted a video of me doing them online no one would watch it because I'm an unattractive bloke, if I was an attractive women people would watch it. Thats why they lead with a headline about her physical appearance as its that which makes there predominantly male audience watch the video.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 pm

TJR wrote:
Speedo wrote:

The only reason they posted that video was because she was a good looking lass doing keepy ups. If she wasn't good looking no one would be interested in the video, as her keepy up skill isn't really that impressive. I can do keepy ups but if I posted a video of me doing them online no one would watch it because I'm an unattractive bloke, if I was an attractive women people would watch it. Thats why they lead with a headline about her physical appearance as its that which makes there predominantly male audience watch the video.
Does that make it right though? <scratch>

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 pm

This thread <****>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:47 pm

beardface wrote:This thread <****>
I think someone should bring it back down to its natural level.

I nominate me.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:48 pm

<neg> I give up

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:48 pm

SpoilerShow

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
TJR wrote:
Does that make it right though? <scratch>
Depends on the context of the post. If they are one of these lad bible type accounts who post videos of good looking women because that is why there audience watches them then yes. In the same way as an account posting videos of good looking men for there female audience to watch is fine. If it was someone like the FA or Sky Sports who posted a video with that headline then of course it would be wrong.

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Boardroom gender quotas, ensuring a certain % are women.

Sexist?

Clearly barbaric, should only get there if good enough, not based on sex.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Speedo wrote:
TJR wrote:

Do you class sexual objectivation and sexism as the same thing? I think they are linked but I would class them as separate problems. I would also say it is a problem for both females and males because it is more prevalent for females and less acknowledged for males.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:15 pm

It's more of a Venn Diagram relationship. Most, but not all, sexual objectification is sexism. Some degree is natural and not one-way, as you suggest. Sexism is broader and more entrenched.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:16 pm

What about people who post stories on the internet about how they got laid and with the 'fittest' girl in the group? <scratch>

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Did anyone else notice Magnifique Georges hilarious gifs and pics on the last page. I feel like it was just me <laugh>

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Magnifique Georges OBE wrote:What about people who post stories on the internet about how they got laid and with the 'fittest' girl in the group? <scratch>
<laugh>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Magnifique Georges OBE wrote:What about people who post stories on the internet about how they got laid and with the 'fittest' girl in the group? <scratch>
<laugh> That's completely different and not contradictory! It was relevant to the story, and I'm never going to claim not to be a shallow bastard at times. I'm sure she is calling me the fittest (well, she's american so probably 'cutest') boy in that group too <roll>

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:28 pm

Speedo wrote:
<laugh> That's completely different and not contradictory! It was relevant to the story, and I'm never going to claim not to be a shallow bastard at times. I'm sure she is calling me the fittest (well, she's american so probably 'cutest') boy in that group too <roll>
And now we know the story's all made up...