Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Money & More

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by Ramone » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:39 pm

skalpel wrote:I wonder what sort of response, if any, would follow a pundit saying ,"absolutely slaughtered", "absolutely savaged", "absolutely murdered", "absolutely crucified", etc. Rape imagery evidently shocks society more than that of gory death.
I remember a Sky Sports pundit getting heavily criticised for saying a player had 'an absolute holocaust of a game'.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:Maybe it's also just a history thing. The use of violent terms to simply mean 'best someone very well in a physical duel' has been around longer. Using rape to suggest this instead is less common and newer, so more shocking.
Yeah that seems to be it. Which makes one wonder if, through social change, it'll ever be a less than loaded word, or if it's even a subject and crime which could ever drop to the (absurd when you consider it) easiness and actual amusement of murder. Certainly I can't imagine a TV audience for Midsomer Rapes anytime soon, but how peculiar that killing somebody in some hideously brutal fashion has for so long been a source of great amusement and entertainment for people of pretty much all ages, while sexual assault is still treated with extreme caution. It pretty much implies (and I could probably be persuaded to agree with this) that one is more disgusting than the other. It's also notable, I guess, that there is never (or at least seldom) any issue with its use to describe the pillage or destruction of objects rather than humans, eg. the overdone phrase "rape of the British countryside" when the green belt is carved into for some industrial means, where its extremeness is accepted as a fine metaphor for a particular circumstance.
Ramone wrote:I remember a Sky Sports pundit getting heavily criticised for saying a player had 'an absolute holocaust of a game'.
This is a new avenue of discussion too, really. A holocaust (lower case) obviously is a total destruction by fire. I think I'm right in saying that it's first popular 20th Century usage was actually in reference to the Dresden bombing, or at least it certainly was used by some media outlets at the time. But, due to capital H, it's clearly it's too loaded a word to use now without proper explanation, gone the way of the swastika.

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 am

The Nazis ruined everything <urgh>
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:48 am

Let's all grow toothbrush moustaches in defiance.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:00 am

Iron Mikes Tiny Eyes wrote:The Nazis ruined everything <urgh>
Tell that to the film and game industry.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 pm

I think a lot of feminism has become a weapon now, Im all for equal rights but some things are just becoming ridiculous, like the whole "scandal" of the Rosetta scientists t shirt,also i was watching look north the other week and some feminist group was attacking a company on grounds of equal pay yet the woman was doing a completely different job to the man, one was working in a company warehouse and one in a store, the men in the store was earning the same wage as the women in the store ffs.

I'm also getting sick of the word rape culture, which is just a scare word being used on people, they make out like a woman cannot step out of the house for 5 seconds before being gang raped by their local designated rape squad.

Im not blind, i know there are some equality issues and some things need to change but feminism is losing a lot of respect with me at the moment.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 pm

I think 'Erdy' is having a breakdown:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30183711

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Cabella The Redeemer wrote:I think a lot of feminism has become a weapon now, Im all for equal rights but some things are just becoming ridiculous, like the whole "scandal" of the Rosetta scientists t shirt,also i was watching look north the other week and some feminist group was attacking a company on grounds of equal pay yet the woman was doing a completely different job to the man, one was working in a company warehouse and one in a store, the men in the store was earning the same wage as the women in the store ffs.

I'm also getting sick of the word rape culture, which is just a scare word being used on people, they make out like a woman cannot step out of the house for 5 seconds before being gang raped by their local designated rape squad.

Im not blind, i know there are some equality issues and some things need to change but feminism is losing a lot of respect with me at the moment.
I agree with this.

The term feminism seems to have been hijacked by extremists. Its like ultras with football. They used to be the best fans who focally supported their team but now they are associated with racist chanting and flares. Being an ultra used to be a good thing now its something you don't want to be because the term has been hijacked. Feminism is going the same way, it used to be about equality which I 100% support but now the vocal minority of nutjobs have hijacked the term feminism.

The nutcases who brand themselves as feminists and part of feminist groups couldn't be further from wanting equality, instead they just want the best for themselves. Its got to the stage now where those actually campaigning for equality can no longer call themselves feminists or they are assumed to be deranged in the same way football fan groups can't call themselves ultras anymore or they are assumed to be racist.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 am

Pardew's Legendary Specs wrote:
Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:It pisses me off when the BBC tricks me into clicking links about Women's Football by not making it clear in the headline.
They did it for a coupes of weeks <laugh>

It does virtually always say women's football etc now
They're at it again:

Football: Williamson scores unique penalty

Genuinely thought it was going to be about Mike. <fist>

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:54 am

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
Pardew's Legendary Specs wrote:
They did it for a coupes of weeks <laugh>

It does virtually always say women's football etc now
They're at it again:

Football: Williamson scores unique penalty

Genuinely thought it was going to be about Mike. <fist>
<fist> I've noticed it creeping back

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:23 pm

Are there any women at all on this forum? If not, is this basically just a bunch of men sitting around discussing gender inequality?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:27 pm

One or two. Doesn't really matter though does it? There aren't any hippos or gorillas on this forum either (unfortunately).

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:31 pm

skalpel wrote:One or two. Doesn't really matter though does it? There aren't any hippos or gorillas on this forum either (unfortunately).
<scratch>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Well, shiver my timbers <ergh>.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:49 am

In the name of equality, Serena Williams got the same prize money as Djokovic even though he had to play more tennis to win the Men's than she did the women's. Equality <awe>

So the man does more work but isn't recognised for it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:36 am

And Wozniacki still had the cheek to complain about getting shifted to the outside courts <awe>
Not that it is the only factor, the general poorer quality of women's tennis is the major one.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 am

Don't forget that the viewing figures, and therefore commercial income, is reduced in the women's game too. Men subsidising lazy b****es <awe>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:26 pm

To make things worse, Serena is blatantly a man in a dress. Total piss take

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Can we have the same retirement age as well please?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Well this thread went downhill.
REQUIEM