British or English

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: British or English

Post by jpg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Le Quiff wrote:
Rodchenko wrote:
I find the 'British means you're English, Sottish, Welsh and northern irish' mentality kind of silly. Being British doesn't mean you're apart of every home nation- it just means you hail from the British Isles. It's the same if you said you were English; you're not Geordie, Brummy, Mancunian, Cockney, Scouse, but they're all 'English'.

Also, in regards to joining together for Olympics and sports. You do realise that The United Kingdom is a country in its own right and has been for the last 300 years or so, which shares currency, politics, and economy. If anything officially separating it into England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is more so for sport if anything.
So you are saying that England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are not countries? That i am not English but in fact British? Do we not have different policies to Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland? Is their only one Capital city in the British Isles?
I never said they weren't countries, they are countries in their own right. Sure there are different policies, but the Law is generally the same. You consider yourself English and not British which is fine. It's why I made this thread, the existence of the United Kingdom is an unusual one compared to most countries as it consists of many countries under a 'United Kingdom'. I wanted people's opinions on how they identify themselves, as a Brit (because that is our nationality on our passports) or quite simply as English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. Thanks for your input <ok>

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I consider myself English.

But overall i consider myself as a human being that has happened to be born on a specific landmass in a specific culture and aforded a specific upbringing.

I am ashamed at many if not most humans, including myself but to a lesser extent.
I love you all

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 pm

British, not that I think it matters. In 50 years nationality won't have as much relevance imo.
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 pm

nom de plume wrote:I consider myself English.

But overall i consider myself as a human being that has happened to be born on a specific landmass in a specific culture and aforded a specific upbringing.

I am ashamed at many if not most humans, including myself but to a lesser extent.
Why?

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:
nom de plume wrote:I consider myself English.

Why?

Well actually many humans are wonderful, I will retract "if not most" from my statement.

Over time the bad eggs have risen to the top and now dictate to the rest of us.

That being said I am sure we all know some unsavoury people.
I love you all