British or English

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

British or English

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 pm

or Scottish or Welsh or Norther Irish, etc...

Which would you consider yourself?

I personally see myself as British in most circumstances except when it comes to sports where you don't really have a choice.

But how would you react if someone referred to you as British? My girlfriend (American) frequently refers to me as a Brit (in fairness, she has had a little trouble grasping the whole British/UK/English difference) as Britain is much more associated with England whereas the other home nations individually.

Just wanted your take on it all- I know we have many on here from all over the British Isles? <ok>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: British or English

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 pm

British. Just like everyone else in the British Isles, just geography really. Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland though <ok>
Last edited by Blue & Maroon on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

English. I dont have a problem with either, it's just the country I'm from. Why make it more broad than it is?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

I'd prefer to consider myself as none of those. But my passport says I have to, so I guess British or English or UKer or anything anybody wants to say is fine!

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm

English, I couldn't care less for Wales, Scotland or Ireland, they are just the same as all other countries in my opinion. It really annoys me when people assume that you're supporting one of those countries, for example Wales at the rugby world cup, just because they're British. Also, more annoying are people who support ROI when they are English because they're thick and think ROI is part of Britain.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 pm

skalpel wrote:I'd prefer to consider myself as none of those. But my passport says I have to, so I guess British or English or UKer or anything anybody wants to say is fine!
And why is that? If I remember correctly aren't you an Ex-Pat living in the Czech Republic?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Geordie, failing that then English.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Rodchenko wrote:
skalpel wrote:I'd prefer to consider myself as none of those. But my passport says I have to, so I guess British or English or UKer or anything anybody wants to say is fine!
And why is that? If I remember correctly aren't you an Ex-Pat living in the Czech Republic?
Yep, I'm English. I just don't feel 'English', culturally speaking, at all, I don't even really look English either.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 pm

skalpel wrote:
Rodchenko wrote:
Yep, I'm English. I just don't feel 'English', culturally speaking, at all, I don't even really look English either.
How long had you lived in the UK before you decided to shut up shop and leave?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Rodchenko wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Born and raised. Left around my 20th birthday.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 pm

skalpel wrote:
Rodchenko wrote:
And what made you take this decision, how did you feel once you'd got used to living in another country?

I ask this because I'm 20 and I'm currently living in France on my placement year. This isn't my first time living abroad (lived here when I was younger) and I'm enjoying it. If offered the chance to live either in France or the UK in the future I honestly wouldn't be that fussed where I lived (but would miss my friends and family if I picked the former).

My point is that I don't find that the grass is greener like some people say. I don't really see anything wrong with the UK which France makes up for or is superior at. I think I have it lucky living in Britian. Maybe that's because I haven't quite seen the bigger picture yet? Maybe I need to a little more growing up to realise?

Whatever it is, I know I am extremely privileged to be able to participate in a placement year abroad. I would advise it to anyone who would be considering it. It's extremely enriching and makes you appreciate some thing's in life, which, perhaps, you hadn't before.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Rodchenko wrote:
skalpel wrote:
And what made you take this decision, how did you feel once you'd got used to living in another country?

I ask this because I'm 20 and I'm currently living in France on my placement year. This isn't my first time living abroad (lived here when I was younger) and I'm enjoying it. If offered the chance to live either in France or the UK in the future I honestly wouldn't be that fussed where I lived (but would miss my friends and family if I picked the former).

My point is that I don't find that the grass is greener like some people say. I don't really see anything wrong with the UK which France makes up for or is superior at. I think I have it lucky living in Britian. Maybe that's because I haven't quite seen the bigger picture yet? Maybe I need to a little more growing up to realise?

Whatever it is, I know I am extremely privileged to be able to participate in a placement year abroad. I would advise it to anyone who would be considering it. It's extremely enriching and makes you appreciate some thing's in life, which, perhaps, you hadn't before.
Good to hear you're enjoying your placement year <ok>! Where in France are you?

As for me, I don't consider any one country to be more generally favourable to the UK (or vice versa) nor is it a case of grass is greener where I am now. I've lived in a few different countries and have gotten into the habit of moving every year or 6 months (if not country, then at least flat/house).
There isn't one country that I've lived in where I've felt at home or felt comfortable/proud of a lot of the culture despite getting enjoyment out of my time there of course. But I'm going to keep moving as I do because it's enjoyable and because maybe one day I will find a place where I feel at home.

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 am

I'd say English, mainly because if someone asked me what country I'm from I'd say England off the top of my head and not the United Kingdom or Britain, but don't put much thought into it!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 am

English but I've not got a problem with being called British. But I am born in England, have always lived in England and plan to live here for the near future. And i'm a typical English bloke really.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:16 am

I'm British by nationality but my sporting support goes to Scotland as it's the area of the United Kingdom I was born in. If Scotland don't qualify (a rare event... I wish!) then I have no real issues with supporting other home countries.

I've spent almost half my nigh impending 38 years living abroad in either the USA (11 years), Belgium (3.5 years), France (1.5 years) and Greece (1 year). I'm looking at getting out of the UK again and working abroad a little bit further afield this time, such as HK, Singapore, India or Brazil because I like living in different cultures/societies because it opens your eyes to hos the rest of the world percieves life and how it should be lived.

As an example; the UK was simply work, work, work and there was little time for me to enjoy spending time with my daughter. I took a concious decision to move to Belgium because I knew the work ethic was more relaxed and I'd have a better quality of life overall.

My wifes job moved back to London and I then spent a further year living in Brussels and commuting back at weekends untilo my job was moved to London as the company was downsizing it's European operations. I'm now back in the work, work culture and ready for a change.

Chip Chipperson
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Chip Chipperson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Cal wrote:Geordie, failing that then English.
This!
"How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that." - Malcolm Tucker

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I'm British by nationality but my sporting support goes to Scotland as it's the area of the United Kingdom I was born in. If Scotland don't qualify (a rare event... I wish!) then I have no real issues with supporting other home countries.

I've spent almost half my nigh impending 38 years living abroad in either the USA (11 years), Belgium (3.5 years), France (1.5 years) and Greece (1 year). I'm looking at getting out of the UK again and working abroad a little bit further afield this time, such as HK, Singapore, India or Brazil because I like living in different cultures/societies because it opens your eyes to hos the rest of the world percieves life and how it should be lived.

As an example; the UK was simply work, work, work and there was little time for me to enjoy spending time with my daughter. I took a concious decision to move to Belgium because I knew the work ethic was more relaxed and I'd have a better quality of life overall.

My wifes job moved back to London and I then spent a further year living in Brussels and commuting back at weekends untilo my job was moved to London as the company was downsizing it's European operations. I'm now back in the work, work culture and ready for a change.
You wont believe how jealous of you I am <laugh>

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

English. I live in England.

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm

English because I was born in England, British I have no problem with until it comes to sport, I hate it at the Olympics when people are British why should we compete as a Unit England has enough talent to fill the required spots!
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:55 pm

skalpel wrote:
Rodchenko wrote:

Good to hear you're enjoying your placement year <ok>! Where in France are you?

As for me, I don't consider any one country to be more generally favourable to the UK (or vice versa) nor is it a case of grass is greener where I am now. I've lived in a few different countries and have gotten into the habit of moving every year or 6 months (if not country, then at least flat/house).
There isn't one country that I've lived in where I've felt at home or felt comfortable/proud of a lot of the culture despite getting enjoyment out of my time there of course. But I'm going to keep moving as I do because it's enjoyable and because maybe one day I will find a place where I feel at home.
I'm in Belfort in the France-Comté department, near Switzerland, real cool place!

Your perspective on life seems to be very laid back- I like! <ok>

I dunno if I could keep on moving around- do you ever find yourself missing the places you've stayed and have you ever considered moving back? Or do you only look ahead?