Grizzly Bear
65%

Total votes: 37

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Re: What would win a fight between a gorilla and a grizzly b

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 am

Got to be the Gorilla surely, it's a lot more intelligent as well as agile and I think it would learn very quickly got to dodge and counter attack the bear.
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 am

Bear, paws down. Have you not seen that brilliant documentary The Golden Compass where a polar bear rips another bears f***ing jaw off!

Although saying that we had a gorilla called Jambo over here that held off a load of other gorillas from attacking a kid that fell into their enclosure.

I've voted bear because it has the longer jaw, claws, and a height advantage. The gorilla would give it a good fight though, especially if it thought about using the bear's weight against it. A gorilla that knew judo would probably wreck your average bear.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:44 am

I would be cheering for the gorilla, make no mistake, but it seems much more likely that the brown bear would win. Bears are just about the most terrifyingly vicious killing machines on land and Kodiaks are way bigger and faster than gorillas: their claws could pretty much end it in a few swipes. So, unless the gorilla is equipped with some kind of weapon, then, alas, I don't see the magnificent bastard standing much of a chance. The image of a gorilla pounding a bear's face into the earth in victory is far more romantic than the more likely alternative though.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:31 am

skalpel wrote:I would be cheering for the gorilla, make no mistake, but it seems much more likely that the brown bear would win. Bears are just about the most terrifyingly vicious killing machines on land and Kodiaks are way bigger and faster than gorillas: their claws could pretty much end it in a few swipes. So, unless the gorilla is equipped with some kind of weapon, then, alas, I don't see the magnificent bastard standing much of a chance. The image of a gorilla pounding a bear's face into the earth in victory is far more romantic than the more likely alternative though.
SpoilerShow
It'd be like Oberyn vs the Mountain all over again <cry>
REQUIEM

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 am

Gorillas are hard as f*** though. I can't see the claws stopping things anywhere near as easily as people are making out. They've been known to take several bullets without even being slowed down when they're in a rage. Their bone is incredibly strong too.

If a gorilla gets in close (which it would) and gets a hold of the bear it could easily rip its jaw off or at least break it to a point where its completely useless which would be fight over.

The fact it can grip combined with its amazing upper body strength opens so many potential scenarios which would win it the fight, which the bear doesn't have.

All it can do is swing its big claws and try to bite. What happens of that doesn't work? It loses. They're stupid, gorillas aren't. A gorilla could work out a bear in no time
I dunno

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:11 pm

I think you are underestimating the sheer size of a brown bear. Yes the gorilla may have tremendous strength, but it is fighting something three times the size of it. Bears fight other bears. They are used to fighting huge animals. A gorilla at best fights other gorillas. It would have to be 3x as strong as a bear to be equal to a bear in a fight, and that's not even considering how much faster, and more armed a bear is. That bear comes at it at 40mph, the gorilla won't stand a chance. You talk about its intelligence, but its intelligence would tell it to get the f*** out of there, not adapt like some super AI war machine.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 pm

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm

people choosing gorilla <laugh>

a bear would crush its skull in one swipe

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 pm

<laugh> Love these sort of discussions.

I think it would be closer than the Bear fans seem to think. Gorillas are much faster than they are being given credit for on here, easily a match for a bear in terms of reaction speed and agility. I'd also say that their strength is more concentrated in their upper body, particularly the arms and shoulders.

The assumption that the bear would crush the gorilla's skull with one swipe seems to assume that the gorilla is just going to stand there and let it hit it.

I'm guessing that the gorillas tactic would be to close as quickly as possible, bull rush the bear to the ground and grapple its head breaking its neck with a twist, just as it has been reported to do to humans, where it can pull a mans head off with one twist.

Because of its longer reach and those fearsome claws i'd slightly favour the bear but I think it would be close.

Bear wins 3 points to 2 for me!

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Beatski wrote:people choosing gorilla <laugh>

It would more likely be the other way around. Gorillas would have easily the stronger strike and have incredibly thick skulls
I dunno

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Donnie Azoff wrote:

It would more likely be the other way around. Gorillas would have easily the stronger strike and have incredibly thick skulls
Sound a bit like you <roll>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Donnie Azoff wrote:

No they don't, bears have incredibly powerful strikes. And if a bear can crush a moose's skull in a single blow it will be able to do the same to a gorilla's. You're also ignoring one of the major factors which is that bears kill other animals all the time, they are killing machines, while gorillas eat plants the majority of the time so are not going to be as good at killing as bears are.

My second post on here pretty much sums up how they match up.
Mifune wrote:Bears are more ferocious.
Bears have claws rather than nails.
Bears are larger and heavier.
Bears are carnivores rather than largely vegetarian.
Bears use their teeth more to kill.
Bears are faster.
Bears can crush a skull in a single blow.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Mifune wrote:
Donnie Azoff wrote:
No they don't, bears have incredibly powerful strikes. And if a bear can crush a moose's skull in a single blow it will be able to do the same to a gorilla's. You're also ignoring one of the major factors which is that bears kill other animals all the time, they are killing machines, while gorillas eat plants the majority of the time so are not going to be as good at killing as bears are.

My second post on here pretty much sums up how they match up.
Mifune wrote:Bears are more ferocious.
Bears have claws rather than nails.
Bears are larger and heavier.
Bears are carnivores rather than largely vegetarian.
Bears use their teeth more to kill.
Bears are faster.
Bears can crush a skull in a single blow.
You're a cronut machine
I dunno

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:55 pm

<perv>

Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Little Lion Man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:59 pm

DavideDuck wrote:I reckon it all relies on whether or not the gorilla can 'mount' the bear.
<perv>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:04 pm

TrinLaden wrote:
skalpel wrote:I would be cheering for the gorilla, make no mistake, but it seems much more likely that the brown bear would win. Bears are just about the most terrifyingly vicious killing machines on land and Kodiaks are way bigger and faster than gorillas: their claws could pretty much end it in a few swipes. So, unless the gorilla is equipped with some kind of weapon, then, alas, I don't see the magnificent bastard standing much of a chance. The image of a gorilla pounding a bear's face into the earth in victory is far more romantic than the more likely alternative though.
SpoilerShow
It'd be like Oberyn vs the Mountain all over again <cry>
I've now got the sound of a grizzly bear roaring "I raped her, I murdered her, I killed her children" in a gruffer sort of scooby-doo voice while the gorilla shrieks out his last undignified breath like a baby chimp. And I thought nothing could be more harrowing than the original scene <erk>.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 pm

People should be cheering for the bear to beat the gorilla because we all know that by 3978 AD apes will rule the world unless they are stopped. So stop doubting the bear, they are our protectors <mob>.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I watched King Kong kick a dinosaurs ass so I'm backing the gorilla in this.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 pm

A Silverback will tear a bear apart, pound for pound it is faster stronger more agile, more intellegent, a bear would need to get a lucky swipe in or come down hard on top of a gorilla.

The bear is a much bigger target, and more likely to get hit first and the gorilla would probably shatter whatever bone it came in contact with when striking.

Also a gorilla would never have to change stance, a bear would have to fight on all fours taking away a lot of size advantage, its not like it can shimmy about on 2 legs like a well trained boxer. This would make it a lot slower in what is a close quarters fight, it may be fast but it will take a while to get up to speed, due to Its size it will have slow acceleration speed and turning speed, the gorilla will easily flank it and go primal shattering rib cage limbs ect disadvantaging the bear more with every strike.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:13 am

Cabella The Redeemer wrote:A Silverback will tear a bear apart, pound for pound it is faster stronger more agile, more intellegent, a bear would need to get a lucky swipe in or come down hard on top of a gorilla.

The bear is a much bigger target, and more likely to get hit first and the gorilla would probably shatter whatever bone it came in contact with when striking.

Also a gorilla would never have to change stance, a bear would have to fight on all fours taking away a lot of size advantage, its not like it can shimmy about on 2 legs like a well trained boxer. This would make it a lot slower in what is a close quarters fight, it may be fast but it will take a while to get up to speed, due to Its size it will have slow acceleration speed and turning speed, the gorilla will easily flank it and go primal shattering rib cage limbs ect disadvantaging the bear more with every strike.
this just in, an ant tears Cabella the redeemer apart as pound for pound it is stronger than him
(more intelligent too) <roll>