Report on CIA Torture

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Report on CIA Torture

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:21 pm

so the US Senate have published a report on CIAs interrogation techniques (after the CIA spied on the people putting it together). Highlights:

- On top of what was approved (waterboarding), they did extra stuff but didn't tell congress/politicians in case they got mad. Like 180 hours without sleep, or threatening to sexually assault someone's mother
- They withheld how many people they did it to, even to Congress
- Withheld some of the health problems because of it
- Techniques weren't effective
- The physiologists they got in weren't qualified to judge appropriate measures
- Claims techniques used to thwart plots against UK's Heathrow and Canary Wharf+catch Dhiran Barot and Sajid Badat are false.

White House currently saying no one will be prosecuted.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Re: Report on CIA Torture

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Well damn
[tweet][/tweet]

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:22 pm

nothing will happen

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Beatski wrote:nothing will happen
Depressingly I agree. apparently most of the activities are over because all the other countries started refusing to let them use their land. But no one will be held to account. Terrible.

I'd like to think we'd stop our expedited extradition treaty to the US, given there is now evidence they do torture. Unlikely

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 pm

The biggest surprise for me is that they actually released the report. Torture by and on any party is dispicable and all that, but I don't see what can actually come of this. They're not punishing themselves, I doubt anyone will do anything on an international scale, and I don't see this report stopping the use of torture, regardless of how ineffective it is for gaining information (it's still a tool of terror and/or source of pleasure for sick fucks), it'll probably just make them cover their tracks better.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Cal wrote:The biggest surprise for me is that they actually released the report. Torture by and on any party is dispicable and all that, but I don't see what can actually come of this. They're not punishing themselves, I doubt anyone will do anything on an international scale, and I don't see this report stopping the use of torture, regardless of how ineffective it is for gaining information (it's still a tool of terror and/or source of pleasure for sick f****), it'll probably just make them cover their tracks better.
There's international implications. Countries like Iran, Israel, China can use this (and Eric Garner) to deflect efforts to improve their Human Rights records.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 pm

[tweet][/tweet]

First prisons, now torture. The US are good at industrialising imprisonment, lawful or not.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Cal wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

First prisons, now torture. The US are good at industrialising imprisonment, lawful or not.
Wow, that is one of the most American things I've ever seen. They weren't even qualified

Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Little Lion Man » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't find this surprising? <scratch> Maybe I've watched far too many movies and TV series <laugh>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Little Lion Man wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't find this surprising? <scratch> Maybe I've watched far too many movies and TV series <laugh>
I find how the CIA had little oversight from Congress surprising, not the acts themselves.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:09 am

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014 ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically a 'worst of' summary.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 am

All lies.

I watched "I'm a Celebrity..." and not once did the Celebrity Intelligence Agency waterboard Michael Buerk, sleep deprive Tinchy Stryder or threaten to sexually assault the mother of the fat one from TOWIE.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Cal wrote:The biggest surprise for me is that they actually released the report. Torture by and on any party is dispicable and all that, but I don't see what can actually come of this. They're not punishing themselves, I doubt anyone will do anything on an international scale, and I don't see this report stopping the use of torture, regardless of how ineffective it is for gaining information (it's still a tool of terror and/or source of pleasure for sick f****), it'll probably just make them cover their tracks better.
This. No surprise at all that it happened but very surprised that they have owned up to it. Would have bet my mortgage on them doing nothing about it as well.

I find it really ironic that the nation that holds itself up as the champion of liberty and freedom acts this way and yet doesn't realise how hypocritical their national worldview appears to the rest of the world. Every time I see a monologue on US TV or in a film about "standing up for the American way ... liberty, freedom and democracy" etc etc I feel an overwhelming urge to chuck something heavy at the screen. Bugs the s*** out of me and amazes me that they seem to be so blind to it.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
This. No surprise at all that it happened but very surprised that they have owned up to it. Would have bet my mortgage on them doing nothing about it as well.

I find it really ironic that the nation that holds itself up as the champion of liberty and freedom acts this way and yet doesn't realise how hypocritical their national worldview appears to the rest of the world. Every time I see a monologue on US TV or in a film about "standing up for the American way ... liberty, freedom and democracy" etc etc I feel an overwhelming urge to chuck something heavy at the screen. Bugs the s*** out of me and amazes me that they seem to be so blind to it.
Own up to it? The CIA tried to block it's release and sabotaged the Senator and her staff doing the report. Not exactly free and open.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Own up to it? The CIA tried to block it's release and sabotaged the Senator and her staff doing the report. Not exactly free and open.
<laugh> that will teach me not to read the backstory before commenting. I hadn't realised it went that way, thought they just commissioned a report and then published it. In a way that reassures me because the real story is what I would expect, so the world is working as expected.

Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the report was used to engineer a re-organisation of power within the CIA though. Taking the opportunity to remove people the big wigs in Government don't like etc.