Greatest Britons: Results

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Re: Greatest Britons: Results

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Gassing the Kurds in Iraq or curbing the protest in the East end of London. Both strong leadership of a different kind
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 pm

It's not obscure, but you probably ought to mention Gallipoli.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm not a fan of Churchill. I think he is up there with Princess Diana as the most overrated Britons in history.

His "Let 'em starve" decision is an example of strong leadership to some I suppose. But to others, me included, was evidence that he was an a**hole that I wouldn't want organising a kids tea party let alone a country.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:16 pm

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:I'm doing a research project over the next few weeks on Winston Churchill for a book, specifically his leadership qualities.

I'll be looking to cover most of his political career, obviously, but does anyone more knowledgeable than me have any suggestions of relevant events to look into aside from the more obvious speeches/Battle of Britain etc. which display his leadership skills?

The more obscure the better really.
Hipster <disgrace>

Also Skalps, Churchill should be eighth on the list as there's a joint sixth <roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:21 pm

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:I'm doing a research project over the next few weeks on Winston Churchill for a book, specifically his leadership qualities.

I'll be looking to cover most of his political career, obviously, but does anyone more knowledgeable than me have any suggestions of relevant events to look into aside from the more obvious speeches/Battle of Britain etc. which display his leadership skills?

Hipster <disgrace>

Also Skalps, Churchill should be eighth on the list as there's a joint sixth <roll>
We had a top 11 to pick from rather than ten, so I squished it together in that way in order to create a sort of top ten <roll>.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm not sure if this is a tangent for your work, but it may be interesting to bring in how often (very often) George HW Bush invoked Churchill in order to sneak through his s*** ideas.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:26 pm

skalpel wrote:
Hipster <disgrace>

We had a top 11 to pick from rather than ten, so I squished it together in that way in order to create a sort of top ten <roll>.
My OCD wouldn't allow that. I'd have gone round the world erasing all record of Alfred the Great having ever existed.

Or fixed the results so there was a joint tenth :bandit:

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank you all.
skalpel wrote:I'm not sure if this is a tangent for your work, but it may be interesting to bring in how often (very often) George HW Bush invoked Churchill in order to sneak through his s*** ideas.
Ah, yeah, I watched a bit of a documentary about his leadership and they drew the parallels between his 'fight them on the beaches' speech with Bush's post-9/11 rhetoric. Could definitely be useful!
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Sorry, I was referring to HW, as in Sr.

In the book Blood, Class & Empire there's a chapter called The Churchill Cult in which it's discussed how 1980s and 90s American political and military leadership was obsessed with invoking Churchill (it's actually contemporary to the turn of the 90s, so it's "is" rather than "was"), referring to "Churchill the posthumous licensee of a mercenary foreign policy". Could be an aspect of the legacy of his leadership worth considering, I suppose.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 pm

skalpel wrote:
My OCD wouldn't allow that. I'd have gone round the world erasing all record of Alfred the Great having ever existed.

Or fixed the results so there was a joint tenth :bandit:
Yeah I usually get chest pains and curling teeth from that sort of s*** as well <laugh>. I think if I do it myself I can handle it. Bad luck for you <roll>.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Have a read about his time in Cuba covering the Cuban war of independence.

Take with a pinch of salt his exploits in South Africa and being taken prisoner. The Victoria Cross was mentioned for his exploits but given his status in society it could have been a bit of propoganda.

In terms of military leadership you could include his part in the cavalry charge against the Mahdi l

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Got a fair few leads from this to look into, so thank you everyone, I appreciate it :)

Also <applause> <applause> because I'm not sure there's many football forums out there where I could be confident of getting a decent response from my question.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:49 pm

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:Got a fair few leads from this to look into, so thank you everyone, I appreciate it :)

Also <applause> <applause> because I'm not sure there's many football forums out there where I could be confident of getting a decent response from my question.
You know, it's true <awe>. It's easy to take for granted the fact that this forum almost always guarantees at least a short intelligent exchange on even the most arcane of topics. A lot of conversations held on ToonForum over the years would more than hold up in forums dedicated to the respective topic. And this on a football forum which also manages long debates about the way people wipe their arse. How about a f***ing pat on the back for everyone here, why not.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:24 pm

Yeah credit where it is due.

Can you imagine getting an intelligent response to a question like that on rtg?