Tiger
43%

Total votes: 28

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Re: What would win a fight between a tiger and a hippo

Post by Mifune » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:38 am

How is the hippo even meant to hurt the tiger? Is the tiger going to shove it's head in the hippo's mouth or something? Tigers are way faster and much more agile, the hippo will be a sitting target.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Duke wrote:
Pretty Terrible Attacking Options wrote:
Considering hippos fight with each other, and survive attacks from teeth HALF A f***ing METER LONG, yes I think the 4 inch claws would struggle to get through the skin. They may be long enough to penetrate through hypothetically, but how exactly is a tiger going to line his claws up perpendicular to the hide?

Chomp, head off.
The fact that hippos have survived attacks from other hippos does not mean tiger claws couldn't do damage <erm>. What about the hippos that have died from hippo attacks?

How are they not able to line their claws up? Hippos are 5ft (max) at the shoulder, tigers are 4ft (max). They could easily attack on their hind legs or jump on top of it.

You're acting like hippo skin is some sort of impenetrable super-armour. It's f***ing skin. A tiger would maul the s*** out of it.
I'm not asking how do they reach the hippo, rather how do they get their claws into a position in order to penetrate the full 4 inches of their length.

MIFUNE wrote:How is the hippo even meant to hurt the tiger? Is the tiger going to shove it's head in the hippo's mouth or something? Tigers are way faster and much more agile, the hippo will be a sitting target.
Assuming they are going to actually "fight", you would presume that they would be face to face, not the hippo running away and the tiger chasing it. The tiger is not "way" faster than the hippo, about 5mph faster in short bursts, and the hippo could easily turn to face the tiger before it could run around it.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Tigers are at least 10 mph faster than hippos, which is significant. Just because they are going to fight does not mean that the tiger is going to run head first into the hippo's mouth. Tigers are predatory animals and regularly kill other animals to eat, while hippos are herbivores so in a fight it is the tiger who is going to have the advantage because it is more natural to it.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:42 pm

MIFUNE wrote:Tigers are at least 10 mph faster than hippos, which is significant. Just because they are going to fight does not mean that the tiger is going to run head first into the hippo's mouth. Tigers are predatory animals and regularly kill other animals to eat, while hippos are herbivores so in a fight it is the tiger who is going to have the advantage because it is more natural to it.
That is simply false. A hippo can reach 30mph on land, where as a tiger is estimated at 30-40mph. 40 being the maximum,so not "at least".

The tiger kills by stalking its prey, jumping on it's back in surprise, and crunching on the back of it's neck. It's not going to be able to do that to the hippo. Hippos are also natural fighters, the battle between males for territory is ferocious. Fighting will be more natural to a seasoned hippo, than a tiger who rarely comes into contact with other tigers.

I'm not saying the hippo will come off without injury, but one chomp from the hippo on any part of the tiger will pretty much render it maimed and unable to attack, or dead (save the tail).

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Went for a Tiger, I think a hippo would last a while in the fight but not have enough about it to take down a tiger merely delay the inevitable
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:55 pm

I love how heated this argument is <laugh>!

Tiger would win though <ski>
REQUIEM

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:57 pm

MIFUNE wrote:Tigers are at least 10 mph faster than hippos, which is significant. Just because they are going to fight does not mean that the tiger is going to run head first into the hippo's mouth. Tigers are predatory animals and regularly kill other animals to eat, while hippos are herbivores so in a fight it is the tiger who is going to have the advantage because it is more natural to it.
That is simply false. A hippo can reach 30mph on land, where as a tiger is estimated at 30-40mph. 40 being the maximum,so not "at least".

The tiger kills by stalking its prey, jumping on it's back in surprise, and crunching on the back of it's neck. It's not going to be able to do that to the hippo. Hippos are also natural fighters, the battle between males for territory is ferocious. Fighting will be more natural to a seasoned hippo, than a tiger who rarely comes into contact with other tigers.

I'm not saying the hippo will come off without injury, but one chomp from the hippo on any part of the tiger will pretty much render it maimed and unable to attack, or dead (save the tail).
Hippos estimates vary from 19mph up to 30mph. Tigers are 30-40mph. So I don't think "at least 10mph faster" is "simply false". And both of those speeds are for short bursts so c.10 mph advantage for the tiger is quite an advantage.

With it's greater speed and agility I don't think it is unlikely that a tiger could maneuver itself around the hippo to get at it from behind ( <perv>). True the hippo could do potentially fatal damage to the tiger if it got it's mouth around the tiger, but I just think the tiger will not have much of a problem avoiding it seeing as the hippo only has one point of attack and is slower.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:11 pm

MIFUNE wrote:

Hippos estimates vary from 19mph up to 30mph. Tigers are 30-40mph. So I don't think "at least 10mph faster" is "simply false". And both of those speeds are for short bursts so c.10 mph advantage for the tiger is quite an advantage.

With it's greater speed and agility I don't think it is unlikely that a tiger could maneuver itself around the hippo to get at it from behind ( <perv>). True the hippo could do potentially fatal damage to the tiger if it got it's mouth around the tiger, but I just think the tiger will not have much of a problem avoiding it seeing as the hippo only has one point of attack and is slower.
Using those parameters it's just as valid to say hippos are at most 10mph slower, as it is to say at least 10mph slower.

The tiger is not going to be able to avoid the jaws of a hippo when it's going for the hippo's neck. It can't just hang out the back of it <perv> chewing away waiting for the hippo to bleed to death, it's going to go for the quick kill, as that's how they have evolved to survive. Hippos fight for a long time, tigers try to kill as quickly as possible.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:39 pm

MIFUNE wrote:

Using those parameters it's just as valid to say hippos are at most 10mph slower, as it is to say at least 10mph slower.

The tiger is not going to be able to avoid the jaws of a hippo when it's going for the hippo's neck. It can't just hang out the back of it <perv> chewing away waiting for the hippo to bleed to death, it's going to go for the quick kill, as that's how they have evolved to survive. Hippos fight for a long time, tigers try to kill as quickly as possible.
How is the tiger not going to be able to avoid its jaws? Of course it is. Compare the agility of the two animals. If anything the hippo isnt going to be able to maneuver itself in such a position to bite the tiger, ever. Theyre too fast, too agile, too predatory. The hippo would get destroyed.

Literally the only way the hippo would win is blind luck.
I dunno

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:42 pm

MIFUNE wrote:

There seems to be little point in getting hung up about this so let's just say tigers are around 10 mph faster than hippos.

The tiger could mount the hippo from behind ( <perv>) and then get at it from the back of it's neck.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:48 pm

MIFUNE wrote:

There seems to be little point in getting hung up about this so let's just say tigers are around 10 mph faster than hippos.

The tiger could mount the hippo from behind ( <perv>) and then get at it from the back of it's neck.
So then the hippo would roll over crushing it?

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:00 pm

MIFUNE wrote:

<wenger>.
I dunno

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:11 pm

MIFUNE wrote:

The tiger would roll over it like a barrel then it would have it pinned on it's back.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:34 pm

MIFUNE wrote:
The tiger would roll over it like a barrel then it would have it pinned on it's back.
<perv>
I dunno

PFT

Post by PFT » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Tigers have been known to have killed elephants. The f***ing hippo doesn't stand a chance.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Nowhere to hide hippo, you fat cronut.
I dunno

PFT

Post by PFT » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Cannot believe this is still an argument. I mean I even threw out the stories of adolescent tigers killing fully grown lions whilst the tiger is in chains and still people said that the tiger was weak.

The hippo doesn't win. Ever.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Duke wrote:

Nowhere to hide hippo, you fat cronut.
<laugh>

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Iron Mikes Tiny Eyes wrote:Cannot believe this is still an argument. I mean I even threw out the stories of adolescent tigers killing fully grown lions whilst the tiger is in chains and still people said that the tiger was weak.

The hippo doesn't win. Ever.
But, but, they've got really big mouths and killed some people that time.
I dunno

PFT

Post by PFT » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Has anyone posted the video of that tiger attacking a ranger sat on an elephant? The thing jumps nearly 10ft in the air and makes contact. They are killing machines.