No
58%

Total votes: 24

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

The Monarchy

Post by skalpel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:51 pm

I was wondering what everybody's stance is on the monarchy both in the personal and in principle.

Yay or nay to the monarchy? Do you like having a hereditary ruling family at the top? What are your reasons?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: The Monarchy

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm

The Queen or Duke of Normandy as she is known round my neck of the woods is part of a by-gone era for me. The idea of monarchal rule derives from the idea of divine right. In other words she has authority to rule over us because her family was chosen by God to do that. Sorry but that is an idea from the bronze age and should have been put to bed by now. Basically I don't recognise the right of the royal family to rule us.

I'm republican through and through.

But on the other hand I don't have a beef with the royals themselves. I think they have a s**** job that I wouldn't wish on anybody. Charles is a bit of t***, but his heart seems to be in the right place and Philip appears to be a grumpy old racist, but I find him funny for all that. The rest I have no problems with and have despite my feelings about the monarchy found myself liking Prince Harry.

I also think that the UK is ticking along fine as is and there are more pressing concerns than making a change that would in all likelyhood cause great upheaval for the nation. So i'm in no hurry for a change. I'd vote for it in a referendum but would not agitate for it. And if it never happens I doubt i'll ever lose any sleep over it.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 pm

You've pretty much summed up my view nicely, although I'd be much less forgiving of Charlie and Phil and I'd throw in indictments of a few others as well. I expect he will use the fullest possible extent of his power once he finally gets there, and we're all going to find out just how annoying that can be.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:11 pm

I couldn't give a s*** about the Royal Family. Like DT said I would absolutely vote for a republic if it came to a referendum but feel that there are worse things about the country at the moment which are more pressing. The Monarchy is an antiquated and ridiculous thing and they all seem like a bunch of bellends, but they're probably harmless enough for the time being.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Pretty much the same sentiment as previous posts - I am opposed to a monarchy in principle and would support any moves towards a republic if asked.

I think what I hate more than the monarchy itself is the idolatry and fawning over them by the masses.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Yeah the coverage of and reaction to the royal wedding and birthing were pretty gross.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:47 pm

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:Pretty much the same sentiment as previous posts - I am opposed to a monarchy in principle and would support any moves towards a republic if asked.

I think what I hate more than the monarchy itself is the idolatry and fawning over them by the masses.
I find it particularly strange the amount of fawning adoration they get from the US. They seem to have forgotten that their ancestors fled Europe to get away from monarchal rule and the oppressive theology they were forced to live under.

Only now there is a sizeable portion of them that fawn over the monarchy and want to impose Evangelical Christianity onto the world's first true secular republic. Talk about going full circle.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:53 pm

skalpel wrote:You've pretty much summed up my view nicely, although I'd be much less forgiving of Charlie and Phil and I'd throw in indictments of a few others as well. And I'd also add that I can see Charles upsetting this clockwork status quo once his maggot-like head squirms its way into the crown. He's proven to be a uniquely stupid and intolerant zealot who will bend the rules as much as he can in order to get around the restrictions our country has put on him and his family. I expect he will use the fullest possible extent of his power once he finally gets there, and we're all going to find out just how annoying that can be.
You could be right about Charlie. But I just think that wiser heads would prevail and the status quo would continue, albeit with a few hiccups until someone smarter in his family bitchslapped him back into line.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:04 pm

If we didnt have to pay for their lives of luxury i wouldnt care about them at all. they can all f*** off though

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Not particularly in favour of the monarchy, but chastising a small child for a making an arm movement that hadn't yeh come to symbolise what it eventually did, and even if it had she wouldn't have understood the implications of seems harsh.

If that sentence doesn't make sense I am f***ed up so sue me.

Also, whether you're in favour of having a Queen/King or not, the positive effect it has on our tourism income cannot be denied.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:21 pm

dls wrote:Not particularly in favour of the monarchy, but chastising a small child for a making an arm movement that hadn't yeh come to symbolise what it eventually did, and even if it had she wouldn't have understood the implications of seems harsh.
Aye, agreed tbh. Removed it.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:27 pm

On a somewhat related note, James McClean is getting stick across social media for bowing his head and refusing to sing the national anthem in a friendly for West Brom today.

Depressing how many of his critics are conflating the anthem/Monarchy with actual British society.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:32 pm

I quite like the monarchy, but then I'm not paying for them. They've come to be a symbol of Britain I'd say and should be kept purely for the boon to tourism. Absolutely no way should they have any actual power to rule though, just have them as figureheads.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:38 pm

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:On a somewhat related note, James McClean is getting stick across social media for bowing his head and refusing to sing the national anthem in a friendly for West Brom today.

Depressing how many of his critics are conflating the anthem/Monarchy with actual British society.
It's a pity that the national anthem conflates national celebration with monarchy, really. I wouldn't sing it either because the lyrics are hideous. There are things about Britain and Britishness which are worth singing about, but prostration and sycophancy aren't examples.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm not convinced re the tourism angle. I don't dispute that it brings in a great deal in tourism revenue. I just can't help noticing that the French tourist industry has not suffered from having gotten rid of theirs.

I have a theory that Buckingham Palace and the other grand palaces would be an even bigger tourist draw if the tourists could actually walk around inside. Something they cannot do whilst the royal family is using them. Not convinced in other words that it will make a difference whether they are current royal sites or ex-royal sites.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:44 pm

The national anthem (awful), the state religion (C of E) and House of Lords/un-elected bishops are side issues I have with the monarchy.

The first needs to be changed, the second dropped and the third done away with.

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 am

Donkey Toon wrote:The national anthem (awful), the state religion (C of E) and House of Lords/un-elected bishops are side issues I have with the monarchy.

Donkey you seem quite into the royals looking at previous threads. I do agree with lots of your ideals. Why do people always say tourism for the royals... Well let the f***ing Londoners pay for them coz the folks north of Watford get f*** all of it <wah>
To be honest this country is now f***ed thanks to do-gooders etc etc. Lets get back to the good old days where England was GREAT and the rest listened.... <monster>
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:35 am

Karljay wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:The national anthem (awful), the state religion (C of E) and House of Lords/un-elected bishops are side issues I have with the monarchy.

Donkey you seem quite into the royals looking at previous threads. I do agree with lots of your ideals. Why do people always say tourism for the royals... Well let the f***ing Londoners pay for them coz the folks north of Watford get f*** all of it <wah>
To be honest this country is now f***ed thanks to do-gooders etc etc. Lets get back to the good old days where England was GREAT and the rest listened.... <monster>
So give the royals more power <scratch>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:44 am

Karljay wrote:

Donkey you seem quite into the royals looking at previous threads. I do agree with lots of your ideals. Why do people always say tourism for the royals... Well let the f***ing Londoners pay for them coz the folks north of Watford get **** all of it <wah>
You sure you're not confusing me with another poster?

I've been anti-royal for as long as I can remember. Certainly don't recall saying anything pro-monarchy on this site. Or any other for that matter.

So you want a return to the days of the British Empire? No thanks we f***ed up enough first time around. The Yanks are having their turn now.

LaFraise92
Mmya!!
Mmya!!

Post by LaFraise92 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:40 pm

I like the monarchy, but only in its current state. If there was any move towards them taking back any powers I'd be immediately republican.

As it stands I like the living tradition and the hundreds of years of our history that they embody. I also like their ability to transcend politics and the political class - especially the latter, which discourages me from ever wanting a British President or an elected House of Lords in any of the proposed formats except maybe Labour's at the last election - and to act as what we need them to be; a figurehead. I think the amount of soft power they exert is incredible and they're trained from birth to be diplomats without any of the careerism that pervades the Foreign Office.

I can definitely understand why people dislike them on both a political and personal level but I quite like all the pageantry and the constitutional role they play.
fatbastardvegetarian wrote:What the **** is wrong with me? I'm on my honeymoon and trying to watch LaFraise on f****** University Challenge <laugh>