Syrian refugee crisis - what should we do?

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Syrian refugee crisis - what should we do?

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:54 pm

skalpel wrote:Where's the hatred? (Genuine question, I'm not being snide. All I've seen is news articles telling everyone to stop hating and they never have any quotes or sources to point at.)

Yeah, Turkey has taken in about 1.8m I think, and Lebanon 1.2m. It's also apparently the case that a good number of people are leaving Turkey after having claimed asylum in order to try for somewhere in Europe.
Yeah, the route through Turkey to Greece/Bulgaria is the main route into Europe apparently.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:00 pm

Chappy wrote:I didn't mean on this forum, I meant online in general.
Yeah, that's what I meant too. There'll always be xenophobes knocking about, but I haven't noticed a particularly high amount of hatred directed towards these refugees and wondered where it was coming from.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:08 am

skalpel wrote:
Chappy wrote:I didn't mean on this forum, I meant online in general.
Yeah, that's what I meant too. There'll always be xenophobes knocking about, but I haven't noticed a particularly high amount of hatred directed towards these refugees and wondered where it was coming from.
This. From the start I've been amazed by the sympathetic stance taken by the media. Especially compared to the prevailing vitriol levelled at the most vulnerable people in our own country. Over the last few years there's been a concerted effort to stir up hatred towards people on benefits and EU immigrant now all of a sudden people are clamouring for us to open our doors to migrants from the Middle East. These attitudes don't really seem to go together in my opinion. <erm>

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm by no means surprised by the volte-face most of the British press have made re: refugees in the last week or so, and the hypocrisy demonstrated in relation to our own vulnerable people. The press does what it thinks will sell papers, and currently the British public has gone into mawkish Diana mode over the admittedly heartwrenching photograph of the little Syrian boy.

Comments on press hypocrisy aside, I'm of the opinion that the Government should be doing much more to help the vulnerable in general, both in our society and in Europe and on the edges of Europe. I don't think immigration is the cause of all our ills, there are other countries who are handling immigration in a much less knee-jerk emotive way and who will benefit from it in the future. The refugee situation and the migration situation should be acknowledged as being distinct but linked. And we need to accept that this issue isn't going away, and the causes of it will not be solved by bombing campaigns.

I'd also say that handling a refugee crisis is a task Europe should be up to, considering we've had 70 years of relative peace and investment from all over the world. It's less about weighing up the benefits and more about doing our human duty, regardless of whether other countries are doing their bit.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:28 pm

UK to agree to 20,000 refugees from Syria over 5 years.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Interesting article from Robert Peston at the BBC in regards to why Germany could be more open in its policy with refugees:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34172729

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Douglas Murray piece on this issue:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... ummah-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have just returned from a trip abroad to find Britain and Europe in a state of madness. I will not reflect on any connections between these events. But perhaps a reader could enlighten me as to why in recent days Britain and Europe appear to have decided that Syria’s refugees are entirely ‘our’ responsibility. Other than a generalised sense that we are all human beings, Europeans are about as far down the list of those responsible as it is possible to be.

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:29 pm

Migrant crisis: Are these happy young men really timid souls fleeing war and persecution?

THEY aren’t quite the heartrending image of dishevelled, traumatised refugees fleeing the horrors of their war-torn home country one might expect.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/603 ... -Syria-war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PUBLISHED: 11:32, Mon, Sep 7, 2015 | UPDATED: 16:00, Mon, Sep 7, 2015

Sorry guys no-one will ever pursuade me these people are desperado's. I also think Europe will be f***ed if they let the estimated 4m + over the borders as well as the end of the NHS as we know it <puke>

A group of Syrian men pose for snap using selfie stick ANADOLU

A group of Syrian men pose for snap using selfie stick

Indeed this bunch of asylum seekers - laughing as they take a group selfie on the Greek beach where they have just landed - could be any gang of mates ready to whoop it up on a booze-fuelled sunshine holiday.
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Look at those refugees, taking photos and expressing happiness like they're actual people.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:19 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:I'm by no means surprised by the volte-face most of the British press have made re: refugees in the last week or so, and the hypocrisy demonstrated in relation to our own vulnerable people. The press does what it thinks will sell papers, and currently the British public has gone into mawkish Diana mode over the admittedly heartwrenching photograph of the little Syrian boy.
Their stance hasn't really changed for months though. Go back several months and everyone was saying the EU should invest more to make sure migrants attempting to enter Italy illegally by sailing across the Mediterranean came to no harm. I was surprised at the time their was no concern about the sheer volume of people entering the continent illegally. There were articles saying things like, "70,000 migrants have drowned in the last four months alone", "migrant deaths have increased %500 percent since last year", "10% of people who attempt the crossing end up dying". And it's like, hang on, why is no one bothered about the hundreds of thousands, now millions who have made in over here successfully? And the fact that the numbers of those attempting to get here is increasing at a frightening rate?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:49 am

I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:Look at those refugees, taking photos and expressing happiness like they're actual people.
Why aren't they all downtrodden and depressed like I expect them to be? <fist>
REQUIEM

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:10 am

Ramone wrote:
I want soutzoukakia smyrneika too wrote:Look at those refugees, taking photos and expressing happiness like they're actual people.
This. How can they be happy after surviving a dangerous journey to escape from a war torn country. It's disgusting.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:07 am

Dr. Bishop wrote:
Ramone wrote:
This. How can they be happy after surviving a dangerous journey to escape from a war torn country. It's disgusting.
When I was a lad you knew when people were in dire straits and needed help because Bob Geldof would get his mates around the recording studio and release a single.

So far Bob has only offered to put a few people up in one of his houses so I can't see this migration influx as a major crisis.

Should Sting, Bono, George Michael, Boy George and Midge Ure all show up at Heathrow carrying musical equipment then you'll know that s*** just got real.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 pm

overseasTOON wrote:When I was a lad you knew when people were in dire straits and needed help because Bob Geldof would get his mates around the recording studio and release a single.
And how. Mogadishu doesn't know this kind of suffering.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Would've thought you knew you were in Dire Straits when the letter from Mark Knopfler comes through the door?
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:35 pm

CryMeARiviere wrote:Would've thought you knew you were in Dire Straits when the letter from Mark Knopfler comes through the door?
well you need brothers in arms in such a crisis

Shadowthrone
Miggy's Smiles

Post by Shadowthrone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Indeed. After all the migrants are doing their walk of life right there.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:40 pm

If someone on every street can house a refugee, they'll be all right. anyone who does will surely be a local hero, they've travelled from so far away after all. Hopefully they aren't just over here to try and get money for nothing, if so, there should be private investigations in to their claim.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:07 pm

They just want to be on solid rock, I don't understand how that lady writer from the Sun can see that.

That said I wouldn't want a bunch of them going down to the waterline with their six blade knives asking me "Where do you think you're going?".
REQUIEM

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:08 am

I watched a clip online of migrants taking selfies when they landed in Greece whilst playing REM's 'Shiny Happy People' in the background and it's now beyond doubt to me that these are not refugees but people on a Club 18-30 holiday.