Shithouse
50%

Total votes: 12

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Brexit

Post by Swarlos » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:07 am

I hate the word as much as everyone else, but used it to piss everyone off. What are you're thoughts on the topic?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Brexit

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:57 am

It's not all good, it's not all bad...benefits to both.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:50 am

I can't see any logical argument for leaving the EU

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 am

Micky Quim wrote:I can't see any logical argument for leaving the EU
I would say there are one or two, mostly to do with democratic freedoms and supranationality... but you'd still have to be thoroughly daft to think leaving is a sensible decision. Would be terrible for business, public health, environment, and pretty much everything else.
I had the first custom w***

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 pm

My main concern is that the ‘leave’ campaign is too focused on an amicable split scenario between the UK and the EU and they’re essentially stating that business will carry on as normal but we’ll have full control of legislation in the UK and can simply ignore anything emanating out of Brussels.

When questioned what would happen if the split wasn’t amicable the ‘leavers’ then they state that we’d just negotiate a free trade deal as if it’s quite a simple process but it’s not a simple process in the slightest as it would take years to even reach a viable proposal.

I’d have more respect for the ‘leavers’ if they highlighted that there could be many years of negotiations between the UK and EU over trade deals and in that time UK businesses could face higher export tariffs to get their goods to market as well as individuals paying more for EU derived goods because the UK would most likely respond with increased import tariffs.

Then again, no-one really knows how the rest of the EU would react to a ‘Brexit’.

There are a few nations within the EU stable umming and erring about their country’s long term future within the EU so if a UK exit seems harmless to the UK; it could spur these nations into seeking the exit as well and this has already led to some naming it the “British contagion”.

Is it a leap into the dark?

Yep. I’m watching how EU nations are reacting to this first and foremost but ultimately I’m in the remain camp.

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm in the remain camp as well but I feel that the whole debate is being hijacked by the argument around immigration and our own sovereignty, for this reason I really think that the majority of the population will vote to leave.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Who needs Yewrope anyway!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urope.html

"The study also showed that 88 per cent of schoolchildren had no idea exactly how many countries there are in Europe."

I'll bet that percentage doesn't change much with adults either <laugh>

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 pm

12% know?!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Leaving could significantly reduced the cost of imports from non-EU countries, plus freely open up whole new markets. The money we'd save on membership could be reinvested in services and business in this country. Plus we wouldn't be subject to some of the ludicrous farming policies implemented by the EU.

Not saying I think leaving is the right move, but it's naive to think that there aren't some clear benefits.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:48 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:Leaving could significantly reduced the cost of imports from non-EU countries, plus freely open up whole new markets. The money we'd save on membership could be reinvested in services and business in this country. Plus we wouldn't be subject to some of the ludicrous farming policies implemented by the EU.

Not saying I think leaving is the right move, but it's naive to think that there aren't some clear benefits.
I know many farmers who like the ludicrous policies. They get paid NOT to grow food.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:16 pm

When I see some of the things the Conservatives have done within the realms of EU law, especially the treatment of those with disabilities, the thought of what they could do outside of the bounds of EU law is reason enough for me to be in the 'In' camp.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:23 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Leaving could significantly reduced the cost of imports from non-EU countries, plus freely open up whole new markets. The money we'd save on membership could be reinvested in services and business in this country. Plus we wouldn't be subject to some of the ludicrous farming policies implemented by the EU.

I know many farmers who like the ludicrous policies. They get paid NOT to grow food.
Most of that is to stop them cultivating tight against water courses and poisoning everyone. The rest is to try and prevent the feeble remnants of British wildlife from becoming extinct in the UK. It needs to change though. there are multimillionaire landowners in Scotland who get paid millions despite not cultivating their land, killing anything that moves and setting fire to vast swathes of moorland. It's disgusting that they're allowed to behave like that, even more so that they're paid handsomely to do it.

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Its a definite out for me. We buy much much more than we sell to Europe so leaving would not stop our buying policy or the remaining EU members would be enraged ! We need to get back to the Great Britain where everyone wants our goods because we are the only nation who produces the best. Job losses blah ! we are losing more jobs to the migrants thanks to the EU policies. We have the ability to export at much higher premiums for businesses to a much wider market which makes perfect sense to LEAVE !! Lets be great again and f*** to the old boring people who don't like change, they are the cunts that are ruining our proud nation. <gent>
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

PFT

Post by PFT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:26 am

Benjamin Button wrote:Its a definite out for me. We buy much much more than we sell to Europe so leaving would not stop our buying policy or the remaining EU members would be enraged ! We need to get back to the Great Britain where everyone wants our goods because we are the only nation who produces the best. Job losses blah ! we are losing more jobs to the migrants thanks to the EU policies. We have the ability to export at much higher premiums for businesses to a much wider market which makes perfect sense to LEAVE !! Lets be great again and **** to the old boring people who don't like change, they are the cronuts that are ruining our proud nation. <gent>
Surely that would be down to businesses hiring these people rather than the migrants themselves? The jobs are out there for anyone to get they aren't exclusively for "migrants". Annoys me when people say "bloody migrants coming here taking our jobs" if jobs are there for the taking then it means there are jobs for anyone to get.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 am

There is a shortage of skilled workers in some fields which is why migrants take those jobs. For example the NHS wouldn't be successful without migrant doctors. There aren't enough trained British doctors to meet the demand therefore migrants are needed and we should be grateful for them instead of this negative attitude many seem to have.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 am

Benjamin Button wrote:Its a definite out for me. We buy much much more than we sell to Europe so leaving would not stop our buying policy or the remaining EU members would be enraged ! We need to get back to the Great Britain where everyone wants our goods because we are the only nation who produces the best. Job losses blah ! we are losing more jobs to the migrants thanks to the EU policies. We have the ability to export at much higher premiums for businesses to a much wider market which makes perfect sense to LEAVE !! Lets be great again and f*** to the old boring people who don't like change, they are the cunts that are ruining our proud nation. <gent>
Do you not see how contradictory the two bits in bold are? You propose to increase the quality of our exports, by weakening the labour market.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:14 pm

We should do what Australia do and only accept skilled workers. If you haven't got a useful skill to contribute then bad luck. We've got enough people to undertake lower level jobs, it's skilled workers we're lacking.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04 am

I'm out. I don't see how our infrastructure particularly the NHS can cope with continued immigration on top of increased birth rates and people living longer. I don't see trade agreements taking long to put in place & I certainly don't see Europe putting tariffs on British goods, Europe needs our markets as much as we need theirs.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

PFT

Post by PFT » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:28 am

Alfie wrote:I'm out. I don't see how our infrastructure particularly the NHS can cope with continued immigration on top of increased birth rates and people living longer. I don't see trade agreements taking long to put in place & I certainly don't see Europe putting tariffs on British goods, Europe needs our markets as much as we need theirs.
One of the main reasons our NHS is able to run is because of migrant nurses , doctors and care workers.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01 am

Dumm & Doumbia wrote:
Alfie wrote:I'm out. I don't see how our infrastructure particularly the NHS can cope with continued immigration on top of increased birth rates and people living longer. I don't see trade agreements taking long to put in place & I certainly don't see Europe putting tariffs on British goods, Europe needs our markets as much as we need theirs.
One of the main reasons our NHS is able to run is because of migrant nurses , doctors and care workers.
Many not from Europe.