Homelessness

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Homelessness

Post by skalpel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:55 pm

PTAO wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Was in Manchester on Saturday and I've never seen so many homeless people, not even in London. I thought that there were a lot around where I am in the West Midlands but it's nothing compared to up there.
So many of them have mobile phones and refuse to move when offered alternative accommodation.
Why?

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:51 pm

skalpel wrote:
PTAO wrote:
So many of them have mobile phones and refuse to move when offered alternative accommodation.
Why?
I don't know for sure. There was a big push to get them off of the MMU grounds where a large amount of them had set up camp. They were offered refuge in a dissused hotel by Gary Neville which most of them declined. Supposedly they can make enough to get by begging on the street and have no interest in moving.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:16 pm

PTAO wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Why?
I don't know for sure. There was a big push to get them off of the MMU grounds where a large amount of them had set up camp. They were offered refuge in a dissused hotel by Gary Neville which most of them declined. Supposedly they can make enough to get by begging on the street and have no interest in moving.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:39 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
PTAO wrote:
<laugh>

Got to admire his commitment really!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:42 pm

skalpel wrote:
PTAO wrote:
Why?
Clear this up please Mifune?
I dunno

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Duke wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Why?
Clear this up please Mifune?
No free McDonald's wifi

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't understand, have they tried having more money?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:01 pm

PTAO wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Why?
Seems weird. What's to stop them just taking the refuge and begging as well? I know a couple of people in my neighbourhood who have a place to live and a bank account and everything but go out and sit down asking for money all the same.
Hjl wrote:I don't understand, have they tried having more money?
There's a pretty hilarious moment of gobsmacking snobbery recorded in history when the queen mother, being driven in a Rolls Royce through a particularly poverty stricken part of Manchester, looked at the desperate people walking by and turned up her nose to say: "I see no point at all in being poor."

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 am

skalpel wrote:
PTAO wrote:
Seems weird. What's to stop them just taking the refuge and begging as well? I know a couple of people in my neighbourhood who have a place to live and a bank account and everything but go out and sit down asking for money all the same.
This is a complete guess, but maybe they get most of their money at the toughest times to be out there? They certainly weren't all there 24/7, and like I said before, I saw them using phones so presumably had somewhere to charge them.

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:04 pm

i was homeless wen i was young. worst hardest time of my life. u dnt do that kinda thing for money believ me. sum advice for u guys btw is that if u eva see sum1 on the streets say hello. talk to them. wen i was ther the worst part was bein ignored. i dndt care about money i jus wanted 2 b a person again. any acknolwedgement went a ong way n i was more thankful 4 that than anythin material. n yeah sure sum ppl will cheat the system sumhow, they always do no matter were they are in society. its just easier 2 hav a go at those less than us isnt it cos they cnt defend themselves. sorry going on here again just wantd share myexperiences