Homelessness

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Homelessness

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Dumm & Doumbia wrote:Annoys me that with the amount of resources a country like ours has we still have homelessness. I mean isn't that exactly why the welfare system was created? To prevent it and give those without a helping hand to get on to their feet. My Mum constantly tells me "you're only 6 decisions away from being homeless". It's frightening to think how close it is.
A recent report came out stating that many people wouldn't be able to afford more than one months rent/mortgage repayment should they lose thier job.

Given that my current rent accounts for almost 40% of my take home pay and bills etc account for another 10% I'd be in a lucky to afford two months and that scares the living bejesus out of me so I've started pumping money into another account to create a 6 month buffer.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:06 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Dumm & Doumbia wrote:Annoys me that with the amount of resources a country like ours has we still have homelessness. I mean isn't that exactly why the welfare system was created? To prevent it and give those without a helping hand to get on to their feet. My Mum constantly tells me "you're only 6 decisions away from being homeless". It's frightening to think how close it is.
A recent report came out stating that many people wouldn't be able to afford more than one months rent/mortgage repayment should they lose thier job.

Given that my current rent accounts for almost 40% of my take home pay and bills etc account for another 10% I'd be in a lucky to afford two months and that scares the living bejesus out of me so I've started pumping money into another account to create a 6 month buffer.
I used to have savings, until I bought a house 4 years ago.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 pm

When I lived in Lincoln there was a guy always under a small bridge, it was on the route I took to the city centre when I went food shopping, I'd usually get him something, also on the corner there was a pub that used to always bring him out some food and on a few occasions he would have an almost full plastic bag filled with food and drinks given too him. Then one day I spotted him wandering around the city centre all dressed up in nice gear and thought he finally had an upturn of fortunes, until I spotted him again a day or two later back in his normal spot and dressed in rags again, he either had a quick reversal of his luck or was just mugging everyone off, I didn't give him anything after that..

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:10 am

I work for a homeless charity and you should never give beggers any money. A very very high proportion of beggers have accommodation (possibly 96% in Newcastle) and are often in receipt of benefits and use money 'earned' begging (which can be a lot) for legal highs, illegal drugs and alcohol and money given by the public feeds the cycle. Give your money to charities that help the homeless and or people with addictions or give them a bit of food or a hot drink.

There appears to be a massive problem with homeless people in a lot of areas where in a lot of cases there is no need for them to be on the street, there are plenty of places to help them and they are simply preying on the public for some extra coin.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:48 am

The Angry Badger. wrote:I work for a homeless charity and you should never give beggers any money. A very very high proportion of beggers have accommodation (possibly 96% in Newcastle) and are often in receipt of benefits and use money 'earned' begging (which can be a lot) for legal highs, illegal drugs and alcohol and money given by the public feeds the cycle. Give your money to charities that help the homeless and or people with addictions or give them a bit of food or a hot drink.

There appears to be a massive problem with homeless people in a lot of areas where in a lot of cases there is no need for them to be on the street, there are plenty of places to help them and they are simply preying on the public for some extra coin.
I often think this, but then when I see them actually sleeping late at night/early in the morning, I think they might be legit. Or is this something they do knowing people like me will fall for it?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am

PTAO wrote:
The Angry Badger. wrote:I work for a homeless charity and you should never give beggers any money. A very very high proportion of beggers have accommodation (possibly 96% in Newcastle) and are often in receipt of benefits and use money 'earned' begging (which can be a lot) for legal highs, illegal drugs and alcohol and money given by the public feeds the cycle. Give your money to charities that help the homeless and or people with addictions or give them a bit of food or a hot drink.

I often think this, but then when I see them actually sleeping late at night/early in the morning, I think they might be legit. Or is this something they do knowing people like me will fall for it?
This. I've often seen guys asleep in doorways with their faces on the hard floor on quiet streets and back lanes around 5 - 7 am. It's pretty easy to spot the difference between these people and those who stand up every few hours to go to the cash machine and get a coffee (we'll all have seen them too).

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 am

PTAO wrote:

Lots of them sleep rough to stay out with their 'street family' despite having rooms. I'm not saying there is not a problem with homelessness but the number of beggars you see =/= the number of homeless people in a given area.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 am

overseasTOON wrote:

I'd basically be screwed if I lost my job, I could sell some stuff to scrape by but I've essentially got no savings.
REQUIEM

PFT

Post by PFT » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Ramone wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:

I'd basically be screwed if I lost my job, I could sell some stuff to scrape by but I've essentially got no savings.
Same <worried>

Lucky I rent off my Mum and Dad really , else if everything went t*** up I'd really be f***ed.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Yeah I feel fortunate that worst comes to absolute worst I have my parents to fall back on. I currently have enough savings to see me through about 4 months if I lost my job but it is definitely nice to have that safety net there nonetheless.

TBWBlog
Tindall's Hoody

Post by TBWBlog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:57 pm

I love Edinburgh but there's so many homeless people. It's crazy!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 am

Was in Manchester on Saturday and I've never seen so many homeless people, not even in London. I thought that there were a lot around where I am in the West Midlands but it's nothing compared to up there.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 am

Read yesterday that homelessness has doubled in the last year. Pretty disgraceful if true.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 am

There was also a snippet about one guy who had a normal job and apartment but lost his job and within four weeks was living on the streets.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 am

Mifune wrote:Read yesterday that homelessness has doubled in the last year. Pretty disgraceful if true.
Do you know how these stats are worked out?

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:43 am

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:Read yesterday that homelessness has doubled in the last year. Pretty disgraceful if true.
Do you know how these stats are worked out?
I think they literally go around and look. So obviously they are usually conservative because they don't take into account people living in abandoned buildings and the like.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:45 am

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Yeah that's what I figured. Depressing to think about what the actual figures will be.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Was in Manchester on Saturday and I've never seen so many homeless people, not even in London. I thought that there were a lot around where I am in the West Midlands but it's nothing compared to up there.
So many of them have mobile phones and refuse to move when offered alternative accommodation.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Was in Manchester on Saturday and I've never seen so many homeless people, not even in London. I thought that there were a lot around where I am in the West Midlands but it's nothing compared to up there.
Believe it or not its worse in Liverpool. Really grim
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012