The Cooking/Baking Thread

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

The Cooking/Baking Thread

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Thought i would make a thread for budding chefs to share recipes and tips for cooking and baking.

^^ thats the cover story.. the true reason its to just steal all of OT cooking experience and recipe ideas <laugh>

One of my go to recipes that i like to cook is:

Spanish Chicken

Diced Chicken
Diced Chorizo
Diced Red Peppers
Chopped Red Onion
Tin of Chopped Plum Tomatoes

Rice

I personally also like to add:

Part cooked cubes of potato
Sweetcorn
Chopped Mushrooms
and a bit extra Paprika
small glass Wine

So simple really.. Just Heat a pan with some olive oil cook the chicken and chorizo together until the chicken is browned/ near cooked, adding the peppers onion and optional ingredients and frying them for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes and wine. then just leave it to simmer away for 30 minutes or until all the sauce reduces to a thickish consistency.

Serve with plain boiled rice

Pro tip, if cooking for a lady add the wine, as you then have an excuse to drink the rest of the bottle ;) ha

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: The Cooking/Baking Thread

Post by skalpel » Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Nothing fancy, just home cooking (we'll leave the fancy recipes to OT). A classic local dish I make every so often:

Traditional Czech Goulash - Tradiční Český Guláš a Bramboráky

Main (Goulash):
1kg of diced beef
4 or 5 medium sized onions, chopped.
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
10 cherry tomatoes
2 beef stock cubes
Half tablespoon of Majoram (or to taste)
3 tablespoons of Paprika (or to taste)
Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Thyme & Basil (to taste)
Water (as necessary for sauce amount)
Plain Flour (as necessary for sauce amount)

For the side (Potato Pancakes):
4 medium sized, grated potatoes
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 egg
1 teaspoon of Majoram
Quarter cup of milk
Salt (to taste)

-----

Main:
Large saucepan or wok preferable. Heat 4 of onions and garlic slowly until they begin to soften then add the meat on about medium heat. Once the meat starts to brown, add the paprika and stir before leaving it a few minutes to allow the meat juices to form. Add about a half cup of water along with a half tablespoon of flour and stir well, then add the majoram and other herbs to taste. Continue to add water, flour and herbs depending on the amount of sauce you want and the thickness you want then add the stock cubes and stir before leaving to simmer for about an hour or an hour and a half. Before taking off the heat, make sure the meat is nice and tender, then add the cherry tomatoes to let the sauce soften and warm them.

Side:
Mix the grated potatoes, milk, garlic, egg and majoram and salt well together in a bowl. Heat up some oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat and use a spoon to dish out the mixture into small, flat pancake sized portions. Cook for about 4 or 5 minutes per side, depending on how quickly they brown, and put on the side of the place with the completed goulash.

Serve everything with thick bread and/or Knedlíky if possible (czech bread dumpling). Add a few raw onion rings to the top of each plate and/or jalapenos if you like them.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 08, 2012 5:13 pm

The Best Steak sauce recipe

Every man worth his salt likes Steak. Even BGD likes Steak, although he won't admit it. But what sauce? Peppercorn? A simple Garlic Butter sauce?

No. I introduce to you by far my favourite steak sauce:

1. Fry your steak(s) as you like it
2. When it's done, put it/them on a warm plate (microwave it for about 1 minute) and allow it/them to stand.
3. As it stands, take the pan off the heat and pour 50ml cream per person into the pan, and mix it in with the meaty juices. Stir constantly
4. Warm on a medium heat, until it is thick enough that when you put a spatular through it, the crack it leaves stays there for quite some time. It should take about 2-3 minutes to get to this point.
5. Put in roughly half a tablespoon of Dijon Mustard per person in, a mix through thoroughly. The sauce will taste great if you taste it now.
6. Pour over your steak (and, if you so choose, your chips/accompaniments) and eat.

I promise you you will never go back to Peppercorn sauce. No steak sauce is as easy or as tasty. My Dad taught me it, and, even as a cooking novice at Uni, I've pretty much mastered it in 1 attempt.
I had the first custom w***

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Tue May 08, 2012 5:32 pm

I have to cook for the house on Friday so I think I might have a go at the Goulash for a bit of a change. Thanks!
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Im starting to get into indian cooking so will post up any recipes that turn out well

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm

I want curly hair wrote:I have to cook for the house on Friday so I think I might have a go at the Goulash for a bit of a change. Thanks!
Hope it comes out nice! Make sure to have a few Pilsner Urquells or Budvars with it <magic>.

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Tue May 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Isn't goulash Hungarian :bandit:

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Wedge Head Tiote wrote:Isn't goulash Hungarian :bandit:
Not necessarily; it's a dish that predates the country borders and thus is found roughly within the old borders of the Austria-Hungarian Empire. So there are different variations and traditions depending on where you are geographically within the region.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Wedge Head Tiote wrote:Isn't goulash Hungarian :bandit:
originated there, but is used a fair bit in central European cuisine

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 pm

skalpel wrote: Not necessarily; it's a dish that predates the country borders and thus is found roughly within the old borders of the Austria-Hungarian Empire. So there are different variations and traditions depending on where you are geographically within the region.
It's just I know a Hungarian who gets very defensive over goulash and Rubix's cubes <laugh>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Wedge Head Tiote wrote:
skalpel wrote: Not necessarily; it's a dish that predates the country borders and thus is found roughly within the old borders of the Austria-Hungarian Empire. So there are different variations and traditions depending on where you are geographically within the region.
It's just I know a Hungarian who gets very defensive over goulash and Rubix's cubes <laugh>
<laugh>! I'll never understand how people can get patriotically defensive about stuff like that, especially in a part of the world that has historically erratic borders. A human once made food a certain way, somewhere near you. Why do you need to claim it as yours just because you were born in a part of land which currently falls inside the same imaginary line? <scratch>

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Tue May 08, 2012 6:39 pm

skalpel wrote:
Wedge Head Tiote wrote: It's just I know a Hungarian who gets very defensive over goulash and Rubix's cubes <laugh>
<laugh>! I'll never understand how people can get patriotically defensive about stuff like that, especially in a part of the world that has historically erratic borders. A human once made food a certain way, somewhere near you. Why do you need to claim it as yours just because you were born in a part of land which currently falls inside the same imaginary line? <scratch>
It's not as bad as the Devon/Cornwall bitter feud over whether jam or cream should be placed on scones first.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Dr. Lucien Sanchez wrote:
skalpel wrote:
It's not as bad as the Devon/Cornwall bitter feud over whether jam or cream should be placed on scones first.
<laugh>! I didn't realise that one, it's totally bizarre isn't it?

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Tue May 08, 2012 6:43 pm

skalpel wrote:
<laugh>! I didn't realise that one, it's totally bizarre isn't it?
Yeah, absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... identities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It baffles me how people could find the time or energy to care about such a thing.

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 pm

There's also the one over who invented hummus <laugh>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 pm

skalpel wrote:
Clearly jam goes on first, yay whichever side that is.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 10, 2012 8:57 am

Seeing as it's soon to be summer I thought I'd add a few good BBQ salad dishes... yes. Salad:

Italian Mushroom Salad:

300g mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Olive Oil
Rock Salt
1 tbsp chopped parsley

Slice the mushrooms and add into a bowl. Finely chop the garlic and parsley and add to the mushrooms.
Squeeze the juice from half a lemon and add this into the bowl with a good drizzle of olive oil and then sprinkle over a good pinch of rock salt.
Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
Before serving, you may want to loosen the mix with an added drizzle of olive oil as the coolness of the fridge will have set the ingredients.

French Tomato and Onion Salad:

6 Tomatoes (ensure they are firm)
1 Onion
1 tsp mustard
Olive Oil
Black Pepper

Add the mustard and oil into a bowl and mix well until it's creamy.
Cut the tomatoes into 8 segments each and add to the bowl with the mustard/oil mix.
Slice the onion and add this into the bowl
Give a few good cracks of black pepper, mix the ingredients and leave covered with cling film on the work surface for about an hour so the flavours infuse.

Spiced Sweetcorn and Green bean salad.

350g Sweetcorn kernals (frozen is fine)
200g green beans, trimmed
1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 red peppers, diced
6 spring onions (chopped)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 limes (juiced)
1 pinch freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Add the green beans and sweetcorn to a pan and bring to the boil for about a minute. Drain and chill as you don't want them overcooked.

Add your green beans, sweet corn, green chilli, diced red pepper and spring onions into a bowl and then add in all the additional ingredients. Stir and leave to marinate for a while.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 am

Cal wrote:
Clearly jam goes on first, yay whichever side that is.
This.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm

im trying a slow cooker Jalfrezi today, if it turns out well ill post up the recipe this afternoon <ok>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Bump. I need some inspiration... any ideas?
I had the first custom w***