Are you patriotic?

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Are you patriotic?

Post by Seagull » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Why/why not?

A short question but I'd just like to know people's opinions on the matter.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: Are you patriotic?

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Yes. Don't even really know why since I hate most of the things in this country, but it's home so I will always love it.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:46 pm

No. Patrioism is 'devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty', therefore I am not patriotic; I have no reason to offer devoted support and love to, or to take pride in, any one particular country over all others. I dislike the concept of patriotism to begin with because it is merely an extension of tribalism; which is a form of blind support that I can't say I'd be happy to be consciously guilty of, despite all humans lapsing into this instinct at times anyway. And then looking at my home country; there is so strikingly little of it that I can be proud of, from the structure of its government to its media and popular culture, that I actually have no foundations on which to claim to be a patriot without being blatantly hypocritical.

Short answer: No, I dislike patriotism as a rule because I couldn't subscribe myself blindly to loving one place purely because I happened to be born there. Also I know no country that I would like enough on the whole to be devoted to.

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Yes. No idea why but i am.

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:59 pm

skalpel wrote:No. Patrioism is 'devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty', therefore I am not patriotic; I have no reason to offer devoted support and love to, or to take pride in, any one particular country over all others. I dislike the concept of patriotism to begin with because it is merely an extension of tribalism; which is a form of blind support that I can't say I'd be happy to be consciously guilty of, despite all humans lapsing into this instinct at times anyway. And then looking at my home country; there is so strikingly little of it that I can be proud of, from the structure of its government to its media and popular culture, that I actually have no foundations on which to claim to be a patriot without being blatantly hypocritical.

Short answer: No, I dislike patriotism as a rule because I couldn't subscribe myself blindly to loving one place purely because I happened to be born there. Also I know no country that I would like enough on the whole to be devoted to.
This, entirely. Summed it up better than I could.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Smudger wrote:
skalpel wrote:No. Patrioism is 'devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty', therefore I am not patriotic; I have no reason to offer devoted support and love to, or to take pride in, any one particular country over all others. I dislike the concept of patriotism to begin with because it is merely an extension of tribalism; which is a form of blind support that I can't say I'd be happy to be consciously guilty of, despite all humans lapsing into this instinct at times anyway. And then looking at my home country; there is so strikingly little of it that I can be proud of, from the structure of its government to its media and popular culture, that I actually have no foundations on which to claim to be a patriot without being blatantly hypocritical.

This, entirely. Summed it up better than I could.
These.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Loving your own country doesn't mean you have to hate all others or think you are superior to them.

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:Loving your own country doesn't mean you have to hate all others or think you are superior to them.
Exactly, it just means your proud of where your from, theres nothing wrong with that.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Obertans Magic Head wrote:
The Dream Boat wrote:Loving your own country doesn't mean you have to hate all others or think you are superior to them.
Exactly, it just means your proud of where your from, theres nothing wrong with that.
But that's the question I'm asking, why are you proud?
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Obertans Magic Head
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Obertans Magic Head » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 pm

I want curly hair wrote: But that's the question I'm asking, why are you proud?
Because this is where im from. Im proud to be from the north east, im proud to be from England, Im proud to be British. There is no real reason except that this is where im from.

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm not proud to be from here, why should I be? I could just as well have been born in any other country, why be blindly loyal to one just because you live there?

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Yet you support a football team, a form of 'tribalism'?

I'm patriotic in terms of i love where i come from. I would happily defend it if i had to, but only if i believed the aggressors had no right to attack Jersey and i would never blindly support anything simply because it's positive for Jersey either (if it's to the detriment of any other country that is).
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Obertans Magic Head wrote:
I want curly hair wrote: But that's the question I'm asking, why are you proud?
Because this is where im from. Im proud to be from the north east, im proud to be from England, Im proud to be British. There is no real reason except that this is where im from.
This. Everyone here is a football fan, perhaps the most pathetic form of tribalism there is in the world. You can't explain it you just love your team. I don't know why I joined the armed forces, just a sense of duty.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:04 pm

You'veBeenTiote'd wrote:Yet you support a football team, a form of 'tribalism'?
I don't feel a sense of pride or devout loyalty to the team though. I don't think it even needs mentioning that I'm possibly the forum member who is the least interested in football but I still enjoy following the sport and I'd argue that it's nothing to do with tribalism at all. If you have a favourite snooker or tennis player and watch him regularly does that mean that you are acting through tribalism? I'd say no, it's a form of entertainment which you don't have to back up with devout pride and loyalty. Like I said immediately after the part you put in bold, all humans are innately tribalistic to a certain degree; we have our favourite things that we latch onto, we're social creatures and creatures of habit. But as for being consciously tribalistic; offering my unfailing pride, loyalty and support I can honestly say I'm not like that at all when it comes to sport.

Ibra
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Ibra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Yes. I would say I am Patriotic. I love my country, I love my land and I would defend it if asked upon.

Nobbys Trumpet
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Nobbys Trumpet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 pm

I am grateful for where I was born, but I am not patriotic.
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
Formerly - He Leapt About a Perch

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm

nobbys trumpet wrote:I am grateful for where I was born, but I am not patriotic.
This.

Iksee
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by Iksee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I do not express or have great devotion for this country, having been born in Germany and moving to the UK when I was seven, I consider myself to be British but I do not deny my German origins. My dad is British and was stationed over there in the armed force where he met my mam who is German. I don't know I mainly call myself British but I do say I am half German despite living among the British when I lived over there anyway.

But I am not patriotic at all unlike my dad.

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 am

I wouldn't say I'm patriotic, but I do defend the England when people slag off England, and say how much better it is 'back home' when it clearly isn't. For example I got into an argument with someone from the Afghanistan after he said that forcing women to wear headscarves meant that they were more respected there than here.

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:03 am

I'm patriotic, i'm just proud of my roots and the country i'm from