The F1 Thread

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Seeing that Bernie Ecclestone is now pressing for Melbourne to be dropped if they won't change the race time to suit the European audience (cost of installing floodlights etc is prohibitive) and looks as if it will be dropped from the F1 calendar.

It seems to me that there are too many tracks in F1 where the excitement of racing is eradicated because the tracks are so damn dull or made too difficult to race.

Drop:

Bahrain: Truly a sleep inducing race that invariably results in a procession. I can't recall it ever being exciting.

European (Valencia): Drop this track. It's simply awful. Rotate the tracks on an annual basis. They have Paul Ricard (France), Osterreichring (Austria), San Marino etc that could host this.

Korean: It's not really managed to give itself a good reputation since it began and apart from rain; offers no real challenge or excitement.

Abu Dhabi: Woohoo! Now I can watch a F1 car drive in daylight, twilight and night all in one race. That's about all this race offers in terms of excitement.

Keep:

Australian: As a usual season opener this race always delivers a surprise, excitement as well as it's fair share of driver error. Maybe it's just because it's a season opener and we've all waited for it but I'd like to retain Melbourne and will wake up early to watch it.

Malaysian: It's a good track with some fast straights, tough series of corners and the humidity really does effect the drivers.

Chinese: I'd keep this race as I think it's improving overall. That first 'corner sequence' is bizarre but I love it.

Spanish: Usually the first race back in Europe and it's normally good. Nice track that encourages some audacious moves.

Monaco: The crown jewel can be dull as dishwater but there is something about that track. I've driven the track in a Citreon C1, flat out (well... as fast as speed limits would allow) and that road in a normal car is tight. Kudos to the drivers for nailing a corner at 80 when I balked at 25!

Canadian: A race track that I've grown to love. It rewards the driver who likes to overtake.

British: Home advantage. It stays!

German: Maybe not the best track in Germany but it's still a tough race and has been involved in it's fair share of excitement.

Hungarian: Tough track to get right but has the ability to provide a classic.

Belgian: This to me is the crown jewel of all tracks. Undulations, steep inclines, variable weather and Eau Rouge.

Italian: Fastest track on the calendar. Certain bends are unrelenting to errors but rewards you if you drive in an attacking style.

Singapore: Is it just me who likes the track? Sure, I've rubbished Abu Dhabi for it's 'USP' of racing in 3 stages of light but Singapore is a far more challenging track in my opinion where mistakes are punished.

Japanese: How I love this race track. It's madness and brilliance in one place and the Japanese should be proud of this place.

Brazilian: So typically the final battle ground and a great track to win a title or lose it.

New:

Indian: Still young days but from what I saw, it has a lot of potential. Let's see next year?

American (Texas): I haven't the foggiest.
Last edited by overseasTOON on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Re: F1 Tracks - Drop/Keep/Time Will Tell

Post by beardface » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:12 pm

<wenger> Bernie.

The Melbourne track is one of my favourites, and to get rid of it from the F1 calender just because people in Europe have to wake up to see it is ridiculous.

Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend
Miggy's Smiles

Post by Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Drop

Bahrain
Valencia
Hockenheim - Keep Nurburgring

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Quite liked Turkey, cracking race there 2 years ago. Unfortunately locals are priced out of going. Was a really good circuit for the spectators because you could see most of the track from wherever you sat.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Turkey wasn't too bad a track but was difficult to overtake. The race you were mentioning I'm guessing was with Button in the Brawn and Vettel made a mistake half way through the first lap?

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

I liked Turkey very much. You had some cracking Mclaren battles there in the last two years.

If I were dropping tracks they would be:
- Bahrain
- Valencia
- Barcelona
- And then maybe Korea and Abu Dhabi.

Then I would replace them with:
-Turkey
- Paul Ricard
- Mexico
- New York.

I would also like this track to be on the F1 calendar.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Mifune wrote:I liked Turkey very much. You had some cracking Mclaren battles there in the last two years.

If I were dropping tracks they would be:
- Bahrain
- Valencia
- Barcelona
- And then maybe Korea and Abu Dhabi.

Then I would replace them with:
-Turkey
- Paul Ricard
- Mexico
- New York.

I would also like this track to be on the F1 calendar.
That looks awesome.

We'd have to resolve the Falklands conflict first though as the Argies wouldn't allow any British teams into the country.

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:57 pm

I went to the Hungarian F1 last season and the track is so challenging and the fans there are immense !
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

TheLittleGeordie
Incestuous Banter Runner Up
Incestuous Banter Runner Up

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

I agree with OTs list pretty much. Most of all I'd like them to drop Valencia so we could maybe have both German ones back in the same year. Also I kind of miss the Austrian one, the A1 ring or something I can't remember it very well.
Wish we still had San Marino most of all though
Like a seahorse in the night, he rides with haste to his beloved's domain.

He is the silent guardian, the practical idealist, the man of peace prepared for war.

He is a Mackem.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 pm

KingoStarr wrote:I went to the Hungarian F1 last season and the track is so challenging and the fans there are immense !
It's a track I've wanted to visit for ages. We've employed a few Hungarian au pairs who have been and they love it there as it's a real party atmosphere.

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
KingoStarr wrote:I went to the Hungarian F1 last season and the track is so challenging and the fans there are immense !
It's a track I've wanted to visit for ages. We've employed a few Hungarian au pairs who have been and they love it there as it's a real party atmosphere.
It is amazing, all the Eastern Europeans go there and they're some of the best people you'll ever meet, they're crazy but up for a complete laugh and enjoy their racing!
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Paco
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by Paco » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Definately drop the ones you said, so said that Spain get two average/s*** one and Germany has to alternate between two much better tracks

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Get rid of Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Valencia, Singapore and Korea.
Keep all the good European ones, bring back Magny-Cours and, if possible, der Nordschleife.
I don't think I'll ever be convinced by any of Tilke's newer tracks sadly.
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

this space reserved for particularly amusing quotes and/or images.

With friends like these, who needs herpes?

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Le Quiff » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Havent watched F1 much since Button won the title with Brawn, why don't they use the Nurburgring? I know its a lengthy track and lap times would be long, but just shorten the amount of laps in the race, simples.
It's not about money... It's about sending a message.

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Le Quiff wrote:Havent watched F1 much since Button won the title with Brawn, why don't they use the Nurburgring? I know its a lengthy track and lap times would be long, but just shorten the amount of laps in the race, simples.
One reason that was cited in a book I read is that it would simply be too complex and dangerous to marshal.
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Le Quiff » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 pm

tomtom94 wrote:
Le Quiff wrote:Havent watched F1 much since Button won the title with Brawn, why don't they use the Nurburgring? I know its a lengthy track and lap times would be long, but just shorten the amount of laps in the race, simples.
One reason that was cited in a book I read is that it would simply be too complex and dangerous to marshal.
Ah i see, suppose it makes sense, but would be awesome to watch.

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Le Quiff » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Also, i will be watching it all this year with it being on Sky and them having a full channel dedicated to it, looking forward to it <diva>

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:54 am

overseasTOON wrote:Turkey wasn't too bad a track but was difficult to overtake. The race you were mentioning I'm guessing was with Button in the Brawn and Vettel made a mistake half way through the first lap?
The one I was thinking of was when Vettel & Webber hit each other & handed the race to Hamilton.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Also Schumy 125/1 to win the title, worth a cheeky tenner? Brundle reckons the Mercs are quick this year, maybe Ross Brawn can pull another Jenson title winning season?

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Alfie wrote:Also Schumy 125/1 to win the title, worth a cheeky tenner? Brundle reckons the Mercs are quick this year, maybe Ross Brawn can pull another Jenson title winning season?
Easily worth it at those odds I'd say. Not necessarily going to happen mind.