50%

Total votes: 12

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Re: Brexit

Post by TommyToon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 pm

skalpel wrote:
Hamsik wrote:Have you seen how fast the pound is falling <erk>
Just as a random update for anyone shitting their trousers thinking about wheelbarrows full of pound notes, the pound began to tentatively rise again afterwards and is currently just below where it was in February earlier this year. The drop in FTSE took it to where it was a week ago and it has since began a tentative rise again anyway. The concern re the pound is that it may not rise higher than yesterday and it is being monitored closely for signs of it returning only to begin a new long and steady decline.
Brother works for JP Morgan in London. He's 99% sure the rebound is the market players coming back in at a "bottom" then they'll watch it recover a bit, cash out and leave it to decline steadily over the near future until they re-invest. Will be the same in most markets apart from the usual commodities (like the gold graph you posted earlier)
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 pm

TommyToonAA wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Just as a random update for anyone shitting their trousers thinking about wheelbarrows full of pound notes, the pound began to tentatively rise again afterwards and is currently just below where it was in February earlier this year. The drop in FTSE took it to where it was a week ago and it has since began a tentative rise again anyway. The concern re the pound is that it may not rise higher than yesterday and it is being monitored closely for signs of it returning only to begin a new long and steady decline.
Brother works for JP Morgan in London. He's 99% sure the rebound is the market players coming back in at a "bottom" then they'll watch it recover a bit, cash out and leave it to decline steadily over the near future until they re-invest. Will be the same in most markets apart from the usual commodities (like the gold graph you posted earlier)
Aye that seems to be the prevalent opinion. Presumably that trend could be bucked by a sensible economic plan under the new government in October. Will have to wait and see <worried>.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:06 pm

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:

In February this year the pound was extremely low because Boris Johnson joined the leave campaign. So still not exactly a good sign. Especially seeing as last week when it was looking like remain would win it had reached almost $1.5.
Of course, yeah. I'm just wrapping some context around the situation since I've noticed people elsewhere online shitting themselves over the word "plunge". Also incidentally 1.5 is still pretty poor by the standards of the last few years.
Yeah it's been low ever since the whole EU thing came up. It had been on the rise recently though and been projected to keep getting stronger. Don't know what will happen now. Seems a long time ago now that you could get $2 to the pound.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:09 pm

It hit $1.50 just before the first results started coming in, then there was a pretty quick drop to $1.43. Now it's at a 30 year low. Woo Brexit <ergh>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Of course, yeah. I'm just wrapping some context around the situation since I've noticed people elsewhere online shitting themselves over the word "plunge". Also incidentally 1.5 is still pretty poor by the standards of the last few years.
Yeah it's been low ever since the whole EU thing came up. It had been on the rise recently though and been projected to keep getting stronger. Don't know what will happen now. Seems a long time ago now that you could get $2 to the pound.
What reversed the rise back in 2014? I was in the US during the summer and the exchange rate was getting over 1.70 then.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:31 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
skalpel wrote:
A lass in the office admitted she voted Leave yesterday and then asked me if she'd have to change currency everytime she crossed borders.

I asked her to clarify what borders and she said if she was in France and went to Spain; would she have to change her French money into Spanish money?

Why the **** did we open this vote to the public???
Sounds like my mother (who voted Leave). Text me this morning 'so what does it mean the pound is falling? Will things be more expensive in the shops now?' Literally had no idea what it even meant.

<neg> <neg>

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

I'll admit I voted out. The prospect of us being our own country and controlling immigration, plus having more money for nhs and schools etc sounded good to me. I don't know a lot about politics nor do I pretend too, I read what I read, watched what I watched and made a decision.

What I can't get over are all the people on here, Facebook, Twitter claiming people who voted out are uneducated idiots, it's ridiculous.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:37 pm

TBC wrote:I'll admit I voted out. The prospect of us being our own country and controlling immigration, plus having more money for nhs and schools etc sounded good to me. I don't know a lot about politics nor do I pretend too, I read what I read, watched what I watched and made a decision.

What I can't get over are all the people on here, Facebook, Twitter claiming people who voted out are uneducated idiots, it's ridiculous.
Don't take it personally you uneducated idiot. <smooch>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 pm

skalpel wrote:
Mifune wrote:
What reversed the rise back in 2014? I was in the US during the summer and the exchange rate was getting over 1.70 then.
Think you probably got quite lucky. When I went in 2013 it wasn't great at about 1.6 and it fell quite a bit in 2015. Think the close general election did not help along with fears over slow British industrial and manufacturing production. Bank of America also raised interest rates while we haven't for ages.

Personally hoping that when trump gets elected in November it will tank the dollar <kray>.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:40 pm

TBC wrote:I'll admit I voted out. The prospect of us being our own country and controlling immigration, plus having more money for nhs and schools etc sounded good to me. I don't know a lot about politics nor do I pretend too, I read what I read, watched what I watched and made a decision.

Ain't no money going to NHS. That £350m was a convenient "mistake".

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:48 pm

<ok>

I reckon that there's no small number of undecided people who voted Leave as a reaction to the pro-Remain press and some campaign members throwing around this kind of condescension. One of the most intelligent people I know, and I've known him for about 15 years, voted to Leave. He's a reasonable and thoughtful guy who deals with politics for a living, and he's been labelled everything from naive and stupid to bigoted and racist by people who merely disagree with his point of view. This has been one of the ugliest things about this referendum and it doesn't look like it's going to improve in the coming weeks either.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Mifune wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Think you probably got quite lucky. When I went in 2013 it wasn't great at about 1.6 and it fell quite a bit in 2015. Think the close general election did not help along with fears over slow British industrial and manufacturing production. Bank of America also raised interest rates while we haven't for ages.

Personally hoping that when trump gets elected in November it will tank the dollar <kray>.
<laugh> <neg> You know things are bad when you're playing the "your recession is worse than mine" game.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:59 pm

skalpel wrote:

<ok>

I reckon that there's no small number of undecided people who voted Leave as a reaction to the pro-Remain press and some campaign members throwing around this kind of condescension. One of the most intelligent people I know, and I've known him for about 15 years, voted to Leave. He's a reasonable and thoughtful guy who deals with politics for a living, and he's been labelled everything from naive and stupid to bigoted and racist by people who merely disagree with his point of view. This has been one of the ugliest things about this referendum and it doesn't look like it's going to improve in the coming weeks either.
I think the problem stems from the fact that the Nationalist, anti immigration section of the Leave campaign were so much louder and so much more forceful in their views, to the point it overshadowed a lot of the more sensible views of that side. It's totally dependent on where you're from I suppose but it was hard for me to get behind Leave and even give it the time of the day when a large portion of the people I spoke to were using the campaign as an excuse to be racist and had no substance to why they actually wanted to Leave.

My boss was Pro-Leave, but I didn't know until we had a very insightful discussion about it this week where he raised some excellent points. I guess you can't really say that the idiots amongst the Leave campaign ruined it for the rest of them as they ultimately won, but it certainly gave that whole side of the campaign a very bad look. I was Remain from day one and unshakeable on it anyway, but I guess a large part of my anger over the last 12 hours or so is the thought that my idiot of a next door neighbour has been rewarded for his bigoted, narrow views.

Leave may not be the disaster that is being forecasted and I'm fairly sure the majority of Leave voters had much more substantial views than "I want the immigrants out". I'd like to hope so anyway. The racists and Nationalists lit the fire by their views, the Remain side responded by stupidly tarring everyone with the same brush and it just blew up.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm

So I'm finding out today how many of my well educated friends are illiberal and anti-democratic. Basically anyone who voted out either didn't think about it or is a racist and that we shouldn't accept the result. And old people purposely chose to screw over the young (as opposed to disagreeing on whats best for all). Wonderful
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:So I'm finding out today how many of my well educated friends are illiberal and anti-democratic. Basically anyone who voted out either didn't think about it or is a racist and that we shouldn't accept the result. And old people purposely chose to screw over the young (as opposed to disagreeing on whats best for all). Wonderful
I just blame whomever Hatem Ben Arfa will blame.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:So I'm finding out today how many of my well educated friends are illiberal and anti-democratic. Basically anyone who voted out either didn't think about it or is a racist and that we shouldn't accept the result. And old people purposely chose to screw over the young (as opposed to disagreeing on whats best for all). Wonderful
I think democracy is ridiculous in modern society. People who voted both ways were fed complete lies and that was from the people running the campaigns. Nobody really knew what they were voting for, there were no facts despite plenty of things being put out as fact. Not to mention the dumbed down social media worshippers who share every single thing they see as though it's gospel. There was a genuine campaign for people to take their own pens to polling stations as they thought people would sit there rubbing out the Leave votes.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that this decision was far too important and complex to be left up to a referendum.
REQUIEM

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Ramone wrote:
I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that this decision was far too important and complex to be left up to a referendum.
Maybe. But it is ridiculous to suggest to ignore a referendum after promising the public to act upon one

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm

ALF wrote:
I think democracy is ridiculous in modern society. People who voted both ways were fed complete lies and that was from the people running the campaigns. Nobody really knew what they were voting for, there were no facts despite plenty of things being put out as fact. Not to mention the dumbed down social media worshippers who share every single thing they see as though it's gospel. There was a genuine campaign for people to take their own pens to polling stations as they thought people would sit there rubbing out the Leave votes.
Fine. Complain about the system. But whats the alternative?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm

I think giving everyone an equal vote in a society of 70 million people is ludicrous. Not saying my vote means more than anyone elses vote, but it's clear that some people shouldn't be allowed one. People who need to take pens to voting stations and people who are voting without realising the Euro is a currency, for instance. There should be some means of deciding if you're suitable to vote, certainly.