Shithouse
50%

Total votes: 12

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Brexit

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:08 am

Sturgeon is banging on about the UK being in "uncharted territory" now in the same breath that she's advocating Scotland's departure without having any guarantee that they could rejoin the EU, and in fact those prospects looking slim. It's independence at any cost for people like her, and it's any excuse to start banging on about it again.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:32 am

My main problem with her (and the SNP) is her claim that they don't vote for their own government (the one in Westminster), didn't vote to leave the EU are dominated by England etc like Scotland and the Scottish people, only 5 million so not even a lot really are somehow special in this regard, forgotten and marginalised. This is despite the fact they have their own f***ing parliament, something the people of the North East don't have, people up here didn't vote for the current government and have to live with it, no option of running away or any real degree of autonomy. People in London didn't vote to leave the EU, people would laugh (despite the fact it's probably a more viable independent state than Scotland) if Londoners campaigned for independence, they have to live with the rest of the countries decision. She argues about Scotland being dragged out of the EU but would have no qualms dragging the Border Counties,Dumfries and the Shetlands out of the UK as the vote will be dominated by Glasgow and Edinburgh against their will.

Most of her arguments for Scottish independence could be applied to make a case for half of England being independent and are more arguments for electoral reform rather than anything else. She's a selfish trout who will happily destroy a country believing that the Scottish people matter more than any of their English, Irish or Welsh counterparts and throw even more uncertainty into the works to be able to say she is the one who led Scotland to independence.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:46 am

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 am

The Angry Badger. wrote:My main problem with her (and the SNP) is her claim that they don't vote for their own government (the one in Westminster), didn't vote to leave the EU are dominated by England etc like Scotland and the Scottish people, only 5 million so not even a lot really are somehow special in this regard, forgotten and marginalised. This is despite the fact they have their own f***ing parliament, something the people of the North East don't have, people up here didn't vote for the current government and have to live with it, no option of running away or any real degree of autonomy. People in London didn't vote to leave the EU, people would laugh (despite the fact it's probably a more viable independent state than Scotland) if Londoners campaigned for independence, they have to live with the rest of the countries decision. She argues about Scotland being dragged out of the EU but would have no qualms dragging the Border Counties,Dumfries and the Shetlands out of the UK as the vote will be dominated by Glasgow and Edinburgh against their will.

Most of her arguments for Scottish independence could be applied to make a case for half of England being independent and are more arguments for electoral reform rather than anything else. She's a selfish trout who will happily destroy a country believing that the Scottish people matter more than any of their English, Irish or Welsh counterparts and throw even more uncertainty into the works to be able to say she is the one who led Scotland to independence.
Absolutely this. She was on TV this morning saying that because Scotland voted in favour of the EU, they deserve an independence referendum. On these grounds the only thing differentiating Scotland from London, Cambridge, Oxford, Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, etc. is geography. If you vote to stay a part of the UK, you have to be an utter flake to totally reverse your opinion just because other parts of the nation you chose to be a part of vote on something differently to you. It's nice that she has that kind of confidence in the integrity and acumen of her fellow Scots...

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 pm

skalpel wrote:
The Angry Badger. wrote:My main problem with her (and the SNP) is her claim that they don't vote for their own government (the one in Westminster), didn't vote to leave the EU are dominated by England etc like Scotland and the Scottish people, only 5 million so not even a lot really are somehow special in this regard, forgotten and marginalised. This is despite the fact they have their own f***ing parliament, something the people of the North East don't have, people up here didn't vote for the current government and have to live with it, no option of running away or any real degree of autonomy. People in London didn't vote to leave the EU, people would laugh (despite the fact it's probably a more viable independent state than Scotland) if Londoners campaigned for independence, they have to live with the rest of the countries decision. She argues about Scotland being dragged out of the EU but would have no qualms dragging the Border Counties,Dumfries and the Shetlands out of the UK as the vote will be dominated by Glasgow and Edinburgh against their will.

Absolutely this. She was on TV this morning saying that because Scotland voted in favour of the EU, they deserve an independence referendum. On these grounds the only thing differentiating Scotland from London, Cambridge, Oxford, Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, etc. is geography. If you vote to stay a part of the UK, you have to be an utter flake to totally reverse your opinion just because other parts of the nation you chose to be a part of vote on something differently to you. It's nice that she has that kind of confidence in the integrity and acumen of her fellow Scots...
It is political geography that differentiates them. A country like Scotland has much more political distinction that a region or county of a country. The Union in United Kingdom doesn't refer to London, Cambridge, Newcastle or Scunthorpe, it refers to England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. They are the recognised members of a Union and as such a union can and should become disunited if the members so will it.

And I think it is totally fair for the Scots to ask for another referendum. The last vote was moderately close and was based upon voting to stay or leave that UK as it was. But the status quo has dramatically changed with brexit. Considering that all 33 of the Scottish voting districts voted to stay, and most by a very clear majority, I think it is a valid argument that EU membership is an important issue for the Scottish public and that the goalposts have therefore been moved.

I don't want the Scots to leave, I dread the thought, but in my mind they are absolutely entitled to another referendum.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Asino Toon wrote:
skalpel wrote:
It is political geography that differentiates them. A country like Scotland has much more political distinction that a region or county of a country. The Union in United Kingdom doesn't refer to London, Cambridge, Newcastle or Scunthorpe, it refers to England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. They are the recognised members of a Union and as such a union can and should become disunited if the members so will it.

And I think it is totally fair for the Scots to ask for another referendum. The last vote was moderately close and was based upon voting to stay or leave that UK as it was. But the status quo has dramatically changed with brexit. Considering that all 33 of the Scottish voting districts voted to stay, and most by a very clear majority, I think it is a valid argument that EU membership is an important issue for the Scottish public and that the goalposts have therefore been moved.

I don't want the Scots to leave, I dread the thought, but in my mind they are absolutely entitled to another referendum.
I get where you're coming from but that essentially means that Scotland/Scottish people/their votes and will always be much more important than me and millions of other English people just because of a quirk of geography. It's wrong, Scots make up a small fraction of the population and are unfairly pandered to at the expense of others.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Asino Toon wrote:
skalpel wrote:

Yeah of course, but that's why I said "on these grounds". Scotland's prospects of joining the EU as an independent nation are the same as they were before the last independence referendum, which is why I can't help but grimace at the sight of the SNP using these results as an excuse to push their agenda again. Plenty of people in Scotland are sick to death of hearing them talk about a second referendum ever since the last one because these people see the last one as done and dusted. The EU referendum wasn't unknown to Scotland when they voted on their independence. If the principle of England's weight giving it more political clout than Scotland matters to them as much as Sturgeon is now claiming it does, then why did they vote against independence?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:07 pm

skalpel wrote:
Asino Toon wrote:

Yeah of course, but that's why I said "on these grounds". Scotland's prospects of joining the EU as an independent nation are the same as they were before the last independence referendum, which is why I can't help but grimace at the sight of the SNP using these results as an excuse to push their agenda again. Plenty of people in Scotland are sick to death of hearing them talk about a second referendum ever since the last one because these people see the last one as done and dusted. The EU referendum wasn't unknown to Scotland when they voted on their independence. If the principle of England's weight giving it more political clout than Scotland matters to them as much as Sturgeon is now claiming it does, then why did they vote against independence?
I get what you are saying, but the way I see it the initial referendum was to vote about whether to stay in the UK and therefore the EU, as they had no way of knowing which way the brexit vote would go. Going independent would have meant re-applying for the EU with little chance of success, because as others have pointed out the Spanish and probably the Italians too (because of Venice) would veto it.

Now that the UK has voted out of the EU this has fundamentally changed. The brexit vote shows that Scotland clearly wants to be part of the EU. As it will no longer get the joint UK/EU package it is absolutely entitled to reconsider the path of independence with EU membership. It is up to the Scottish people and only them to decide whether that is that path they want to take, however, unlikely it is that they would get in.

But personally I think that if the Scottish Parliament voted that they were opposed to the EU exit on the grounds that the Scottish people had voted clearly against it, whilst also stating that they wanted a further referendum to maintain their membership, the powers that be at the EU would bend over backwards to support their argument that they would not need to re-apply as they were already a recognised member, albeit within a political union and not in their own right. If necessary pressure would be put on Spain, Italy etc to tow the line in the interests of keeping as many members as possible, placed against the fears of mass desertion.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Asino Toon wrote:
skalpel wrote:
I get what you are saying, but the way I see it the initial referendum was to vote about whether to stay in the UK and therefore the EU, as they had no way of knowing which way the brexit vote would go. Going independent would have meant re-applying for the EU with little chance of success, because as others have pointed out the Spanish and probably the Italians too (because of Venice) would veto it.

Now that the UK has voted out of the EU this has fundamentally changed. The brexit vote shows that Scotland clearly wants to be part of the EU. As it will no longer get the joint UK/EU package it is absolutely entitled to reconsider the path of independence with EU membership. It is up to the Scottish people and only them to decide whether that is that path they want to take, however, unlikely it is that they would get in.

But personally I think that if the Scottish Parliament voted that they were opposed to the EU exit on the grounds that the Scottish people had voted clearly against it, whilst also stating that they wanted a further referendum to maintain their membership, the powers that be at the EU would bend over backwards to support their argument that they would not need to re-apply as they were already a recognised member, albeit within a political union and not in their own right. If necessary pressure would be put on Spain, Italy etc to tow the line in the interests of keeping as many members as possible, placed against the fears of mass desertion.
Before I even read your post I knew it would have better points than mine. I guess my beef is with the SNP rather than the principle of another Scottish referendum. Maybe there's an ounce of not wanting to see more fragmentation after the last few months of vitriol.

I still think I need some convincing on your last thought though, especially after news this morning suggested that Brussels had already made some comment about not allowing Scotland to take that path.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:33 pm

If Scotland does leave and retains the UK's previous membership, think about the demographic nightmare the rest of the country faces. Most of the English remain vote came from the young, the degree-educated, the more well-off of English society, all of whom would have a strong incentive to move north if they can. We could wind up with a big chunk of England's best and brightest relocating to Scotland, and leaving an ageing population in the South without the skills to dig themselves out of recession.

For me, I voted remain and have a Scottish gran on my Dad's side. If Scotland does get independence and keeps EU membership, I am definitely at least going for a Scottish EU passport, and depending on how crap things get here will be looking for work north of the border. One of the key motivations will be that I'm married to a non-Brit and the rise of anti-foreigner violence and abuse in the last day or so is making life here look less safe for her.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:35 pm

skalpel wrote:
Asino Toon wrote:

Before I even read your post I knew it would have better points than mine. I guess my beef is with the SNP rather than the principle of another Scottish referendum. Maybe there's an ounce of not wanting to see more fragmentation after the last few months of vitriol.

I still think I need some convincing on your last thought though, especially after news this morning suggested that Brussels had already made some comment about not allowing Scotland to take that path.
I think alot of people south of the border are reflexively reacting negatively to any ideas about another referendum for exactly that reason. They don't want the situation to worsen. My response would be that they should have thought about that before voting to leave. All the polls strongly indicated that Scotland would vote strongly for remain.

As for the other I think Scotland could make an argument for maintaining current membership. The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are part of the UK but were allowed to go their own way and not be a part of the EU. So there is already a precedent for different parts of the UK to opt in or out of the EU on their own terms. Now since the rest of the UK, including Scotland, joined the EU, Scotland has achieved a significant step towards devolution, in that it now has its own Parliament and can therefore vote for its own self interests to a degree that hadn't been in place when EU membership was first gained.

I think if Scotland argues that with devolution it now has the right to determine its EU membership independently of Westminster, just as the CI and IoM did. Arguing that had that state of affairs existed at the time of joining then Scotland could have been listed as a member state in its own right and not as part of a block. I hope that this could be arranged as it would enable Scotland to remain in the EU without having to leave the UK. Although obviously it would create issues relating to probable separation from the common UK border controls area.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:If Scotland does leave and retains the UK's previous membership, think about the demographic nightmare the rest of the country faces. Most of the English remain vote came from the young, the degree-educated, the more well-off of English society, all of whom would have a strong incentive to move north if they can. We could wind up with a big chunk of England's best and brightest relocating to Scotland, and leaving an ageing population in the South without the skills to dig themselves out of recession.

For me, I voted remain and have a Scottish gran on my Dad's side. If Scotland does get independence and keeps EU membership, I am definitely at least going for a Scottish EU passport, and depending on how crap things get here will be looking for work north of the border. One of the key motivations will be that I'm married to a non-Brit and the rise of anti-foreigner violence and abuse in the last day or so is making life here look less safe for her.
Surely this just depends where you live in England though. I'm in the same position as you and our son is a non-UK citizen as well, but I live somewhere that voted remain and the mood in public places around here has been largely unchanged throughout the last few months. Sure there'll be dangerous places filled with knuckle draggers who now feel mandated to lash out at non Brits, but I don't see anti-foreigner sentiment exploding throughout the country just because of the outcome of this vote.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:16 pm

Asino Toon wrote:
skalpel wrote:

I think alot of people south of the border are reflexively reacting negatively to any ideas about another referendum for exactly that reason. They don't want the situation to worsen. My response would be that they should have thought about that before voting to leave. All the polls strongly indicated that Scotland would vote strongly for remain.

As for the other I think Scotland could make an argument for maintaining current membership. The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are part of the UK but were allowed to go their own way and not be a part of the EU. So there is already a precedent for different parts of the UK to opt in or out of the EU on their own terms. Now since the rest of the UK, including Scotland, joined the EU, Scotland has achieved a significant step towards devolution, in that it now has its own Parliament and can therefore vote for its own self interests to a degree that hadn't been in place when EU membership was first gained.

I think if Scotland argues that with devolution it now has the right to determine its EU membership independently of Westminster, just as the CI and IoM did. Arguing that had that state of affairs existed at the time of joining then Scotland could have been listed as a member state in its own right and not as part of a block. I hope that this could be arranged as it would enable Scotland to remain in the EU without having to leave the UK. Although obviously it would create issues relating to probable separation from the common UK border controls area.
There's also precedent for parts of nations leave in Greenland too. But wouldn't it be bureaucratically easier for parts of a nation to leave than to join? It now being a brand new state and a brand new member state of the EU with little in common with the predecessor nation that it was once part of.

My response would be that they should have thought about that before voting to leave.
I didn't vote leave, and nor will have many other people who are concerned about Scotland's breakaway...

And it's not that I don't want the situation to worsen in the sense that you mean, I'm saying that there is currently enough of a fracture through the UK without having to immediately deal with the SNP calling for Scottish independence again.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm in York, which like Newcastle is a little island of remain in a sea of leave. But we live in an area which I'm guessing was pro-leave and with its fair share of knuckle-draggers.

I'm hoping Scotland leaves the UK, they don't deserve an exit they didn't vote for and things are politically disintegrating in Westminster right now. No-one seems willing or able to offer solutions in a post-exit UK where the contribution we make to the EU has just been dwarfed by the loss to our currency and biggest firms. I would encourage Scotland, who seem to have a competent leader at least, to get out before the rot spreads to them too.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:38 pm

My Dad was northern Irish (I've never been there). Can I apply for an Irish passport <scratch>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:My Dad was northern Irish (I've never been there). Can I apply for an Irish passport <scratch>
Its still the UK dumbass! <laugh>
Last edited by Micky Quim on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:My Dad was northern Irish (I've never been there). Can I apply for an Irish passport <scratch>
I think that you need to have a parent or grandparent alive at your date of birth who was born in Ireland. I may be wrong, but I think that's how it goes. So my guess is no.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Micky Kiev wrote:
Its the same country you are in now dumbass! <laugh>
Cut him some slack, I'd be scraping for every possible opportunity as well if I didn't have the massive bonus of a French family <laugh>.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:42 pm

skalpel wrote:
Micky Kiev wrote: Its the same country you are in now dumbass! <laugh>
Cut him some slack, I'd be scraping for every possible opportunity as well if I didn't have the massive bonus of a French family <laugh>.
f*** off back where you came from

;)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:44 pm

skalpel wrote:
I think that you need to have a parent or grandparent alive at your date of birth who was born in Ireland. I may be wrong, but I think that's how it goes. So my guess is no.
Hmm, I might have to scratch around and see if one of my dad's parents was born in Ireland ...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?