50%

Total votes: 12

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Brexit

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:47 pm

skalpel wrote:
There's also precedent for parts of nations leave in Greenland too. But wouldn't it be bureaucratically easier for parts of a nation to leave than to join? It now being a brand new state and a brand new member state of the EU with little in common with the predecessor nation that it was once part of.
Yeah it would be a bureacratic mess. Off the top of my head I would have thought it easier to negotiate England, Wales and NI leaving whilst Scotland remaining. But I can only guess at the red tape that will be involved in any event.
skalpel wrote:I didn't vote leave, and nor will have many other people who are concerned about Scotland's breakaway...

And it's not that I don't want the situation to worsen in the sense that you mean, I'm saying that there is currently enough of a fracture through the UK without having to immediately deal with the SNP calling for Scottish independence again.
Sorry, skalps I wasn't directing that comment at you or anyone specific.

I meant that the SNP had made several indications before the vote stating that a leave result would result in a call for a new independence referendum and all the polls suggested a clear remain vote in Scotland. It was incredibly obvious that a leave result would threaten the break up of the UK again and that should have been taken into account by the electorate south of the border. There is no logic to ignoring the signs of the further implications relating to Scotland and then moaning when they come to pass. It would be naive to conclude that a political party whose primary policy is to seek Scottish Independance would not seek to capitalise on this result. Anybody south of the border who is now losing sleep over that should have factored it into their decision. Those who didn't vote leave and are disturbed by this possibility just have to suck it up because ultimately it is an inevitable conclusion that was always going to be tied into the result. It was always a double-jeopardy result, it is just that many seem to have not realised or acknowledged this before hand.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
skalpel wrote:
I think that you need to have a parent or grandparent alive at your date of birth who was born in Ireland. I may be wrong, but I think that's how it goes. So my guess is no.
Hmm, I might have to scratch around and see if one of my dad's parents was born in Ireland ...
A mate of mine, from Guernsey, got an Irish passport because his mum was from Northern Ireland, so it is possible. Don't know the specifics though but probably as skalpel suggests.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:My Dad was northern Irish (I've never been there). Can I apply for an Irish passport <scratch>
If Northern Ireland unites with the Republic you're golden.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
skalpel wrote:
I think that you need to have a parent or grandparent alive at your date of birth who was born in Ireland. I may be wrong, but I think that's how it goes. So my guess is no.
Hmm, I might have to scratch around and see if one of my dad's parents was born in Ireland ...
They don't have to have been born in the Republic of Ireland, just anywhere on the island of Ireland.

See the table half-way down - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Boris is brilliantly backtracking on immigration. If it weren't for the past few days of legitimising racists I'd laugh.

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Boris has confirmed he wants free movement and the single market, otherwise known as the European Union.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:01 am

Dumm & Doumbia wrote:Boris has confirmed he wants free movement and the single market, otherwise known as the European Union.
And free movement is surely what the majority of leave voters opposed?
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:19 am

Whilst refusing to admit it and pretending it was about 'sovereignty'. Boris could be onto a winner here.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 am

If Scotland goes it's own way and leaves the Union whilst still retaining it's EU membership my family will be getting Scottish EU passports.

As for Northern Ireland, you can hold two passports. One for N. Ireland and one for the Republic.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 am

Is there anyone left in the shadow cabinet?

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Is there anyone left in the shadow cabinet?
Yes, shadows.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:51 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:Is there anyone left in the shadow cabinet?
Yes, shadows.
Burham and Abbott, or Abbott and Costello tbh
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Corbyn looking f***ed with a capital F. Smashed in a vote of no confidence.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:37 pm

The Angry Badger. wrote:Corbyn looking f***ed with a capital F. Smashed in a vote of no confidence.
To be fair, he is s****.
SpoilerShow
I can't believe I voted for him <neg> <grim>
I had the first custom w***

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:50 pm

The Angry Badger. wrote:Corbyn looking f***ed with a capital F. Smashed in a vote of no confidence.
Still says he won't stand down.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:18 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Still says he won't stand down.
EU referendum says that we most respect the will of the people. Nearly all of the front bench resigns and loses a vote of no confidence, doesn't resign.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm

I am actually genuinely surprised that Corbyn's leadership has come to a head for this reason. I always figured it would be his nuttier ideas on foreign policy that would eventually see him gone, rather than ending up with him betraying both his own euroscepticism and his party's official pro-EU stance through his massive lack of give a s***. The thing I liked about him was his genuineness and integrity <scratch>.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Speedo wrote:
To be fair, he is s****.
SpoilerShow
He would right a very interesting philosophical/political book but the referendum has just confirmed how much of a flake he is.

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Speedo wrote:
To be fair, he is s****.
SpoilerShow
To be fair both Tories and Labour looking s****. Massive political upheaval approaching. Boris and Donald looking like best Atlantic buddies, lets see what happens now !! <yikes>
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 pm

Reports of hate crimes have risen 57% since the vote - a short amount of time though admittedly.

A video of a man being racially abused on a tram in Manchester has been doing the rounds today.
A halal butchers firebombed in Walsall.
Polish shopkeeper taken to hospital after being racially abused in Bramley.

The NF were out in Newcastle on Saturday.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano