Re: General Tennis Thread

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:40 am

Buzzing with that one. Great win for Zverev <awe>

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:48 am

Brilliant match between Nishikori and Federer, one set all at the moment.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Federer through! Murray and Djokovic both out. Seriously hoping he can win this.

ToonDane
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by ToonDane » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Nadal through! Fantastic, hope he wins it all

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:13 pm

ToonDane wrote:Nadal through! Fantastic, hope he wins it all
Just imagine, a Federer-Nadal final for the first time in nearly 6 years.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Federer favourite with the bookies now and rightly so, he's in phenomenal form. Can't believe the level he's playing at so soon after injury and at his age. Serena favourite for the women's, combined age of 70.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Nadal was outstanding today. I saw him against Baghdatis and wasn't impressed, he was hitting deeper than usual but everything was straight down the middle and both players made a lot of errors. He was solid against Monfils but today he was superb. I think he's taken confidence from Djokovic and Murray going out early, not only did it create an opportunity for someone else to win the tournament, but those two were on a separate level to the others, they're not any more, Nadal's starting to look like he believes he's the best player in the world again.

Anyone seen Dimitrov play this season? I haven't but can't imagine he'll trouble Nadal at all. Really hoping it's a Federer-Nadal final now and want Federer to win the tournament. The only player I don't want to win it is Dimitrov, seems odd saying that with him being such an underdog but it's great to see Federer and Nadal playing like they are and I'm a big fan of Wawrinka.

Great to see Lucic-Baroni through to the semis, I was completely unaware of just how good she used to be, won the Aussie Open doubles title at 15 years old, she'd already won singles tournaments by that age too, reached the semis of Wimbledon at 16 and then her career unravelled, largely due to an abusive father it seems.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:35 am

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:Nadal was outstanding today. I saw him against Baghdatis and wasn't impressed, he was hitting deeper than usual but everything was straight down the middle and both players made a lot of errors. He was solid against Monfils but today he was superb. I think he's taken confidence from Djokovic and Murray going out early, not only did it create an opportunity for someone else to win the tournament, but those two were on a separate level to the others, they're not any more, Nadal's starting to look like he believes he's the best player in the world again.

Anyone seen Dimitrov play this season? I haven't but can't imagine he'll trouble Nadal at all. Really hoping it's a Federer-Nadal final now and want Federer to win the tournament. The only player I don't want to win it is Dimitrov, seems odd saying that with him being such an underdog but it's great to see Federer and Nadal playing like they are and I'm a big fan of Wawrinka.

Great to see Lucic-Baroni through to the semis, I was completely unaware of just how good she used to be, won the Aussie Open doubles title at 15 years old, she'd already won singles tournaments by that age too, reached the semis of Wimbledon at 16 and then her career unravelled, largely due to an abusive father it seems.
I'm really hoping for a Federer-Nadal final with a Federer win as well, would be class after all these years of Novak-Murray dominance.

Lucic-Baroni is a great story too, would be good if she can win it.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 am

Williams sisters playing in a final for the first time since Wimbledon 2009!

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 am

Wawrinka to serve for the fourth set, he's unplayable at the moment but Federer should have won this in three, he was so flat after Stan's injury timeout and let Stan back in the match. Wawrinka's probably favourite for the match now.

Edit: Into a fifth set and it's all Wawrinka right now.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 am

Fantastic first set by Federer. <awe>

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 pm

He's bloody done it!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Wow. Just wow!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Federer <awe>

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm

All things considered it's the biggest win of Federer's career I think. Doesn't even feel like a last hurrah, he's played the best tennis all week. I think there'll be an established Big Five by WImbledon, all multiple major winners, all aged over thirty. It speaks volumes of the talent of these guys that they're still a cut above the rest. Raonic, Nishikori, Dimitrov are in their primes now really and they're still nowhere close, five years ago Nadal and Djokovic, younger than those three guys, played that classic five-setter here after great semi-finals with Murray and Federer, none of the next generation are even close to that level.

I've enjoyed watching Federer all tournament but that third set was special, he was completely unplayable. Pretty sure his record of eighteen majors won't be beaten by anyone but himself. Looking forward to the two Masters events in March, it's impossible to pick a favourite for them after this, it's shaping up to be one of the best years in the sport's history.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Should tennis bring in F1 style halo cockpit protection for umpires?

Exames
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by Exames » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:50 am

Hello people, i like watching tennis and i love playing, about Djokovic i can say its my favourite champion of tennis sport, but as we all can see this grand slam he havent prove it! Anyway congrat to Federer for his won!

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Shocking loss for Federer in Dubai. Wawrinka out yesterday as well. Should be a formality for Murray to win the tournament now.

Really surprised by Federer's result after how he played in Australia, hopefully we'll see some more magic from him this year and that wasn't just a flash in the pan.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:31 am

asbo wrote:Shocking loss for Federer in Dubai. Wawrinka out yesterday as well. Should be a formality for Murray to win the tournament now.

Really surprised by Federer's result after how he played in Australia, hopefully we'll see some more magic from him this year and that wasn't just a flash in the pan.
Blew a 5-2 lead in the final set and a 5-1 lead in the last tie break as well. Fed always ups his game for slams though so we should see plenty more quality.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:35 am

Great match between Kohlschreiber and Murray. Kohlschreiber was excellent in the second and really should have won the match.

Djokovic beaten by Kyrgios in Acapulco, Nadal into the semis.