University research on our use of screens

theacademic
Tindall's Hoody

University research on our use of screens

Post by theacademic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Dear all,

I am involved in some university research that is looking at our use of screens in our everyday lives. We have compiled an anonymous survey via the following link where I hope you can spare a few minutes to share your important views.

https://teesside.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/screen-society

Thanks in advance.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: University research on our use of screens

Post by skalpel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Done <ok>. Good questions, I wanted to blab on for ages <worried>.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Done.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 am

I find it odd you had a question on challenging traditional gender roles, then had a binary choice for gender...
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:I find it odd you had a question on challenging traditional gender roles, then had a binary choice for gender...
Why?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 am

skalpel wrote:
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:I find it odd you had a question on challenging traditional gender roles, then had a binary choice for gender...
Why?
1) those who are challenging those roles would challenge not having the third choice... and maybe not fill it in
2) Presumably one making the survey would wish to be able to get granularity on answers for those whose identity challenges these roles
3) General university rules on inclusion

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Why?
1) those who are challenging those roles would challenge not having the third choice... and maybe not fill it in
2) Presumably one making the survey would wish to be able to get granularity on answers for those whose identity challenges these roles
But challenging traditional gender roles doesn't have to have anything to do with challenging the lack of ability to choose a third choice for your sex. Take the example from his links, for instance, of a woman challenging the female's role as passive in a dating situation. What's the direct connection between this challenge and the challenging of a lack of third choice after Male/Female?

There's merit in your second point, but it'd be for a percentage of an already small percentage wouldn't it? Not an omission worthy of surprise anyway.

Or am I missing something?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 am

skalpel wrote:
But challenging traditional gender roles doesn't have to have anything to do with challenging the lack of ability to choose a third choice for your sex. Take the example from his links, for instance, of a woman challenging the female's role as passive in a dating situation. What's the direct connection between this challenge and the challenging of a lack of third choice after Male/Female?

There's merit in your second point, but it'd be for a percentage of an already small percentage wouldn't it? Not an omission worthy of surprise anyway.

Those who are intersex/non-binary and all the other letters added on the end of LGBTQ... would say that challenging roles and challenging binary categorization go hand in hand. ie if one is comfortable accepting non-binary gender identity, then it would be easier to accept a female steelworker or male nanny.
Now I know some (especially on here) will think all of those concepts nonsense, but its certainty true those groups of people have benefited massively from the internet to communicate/organise.

On point 3, having taken a fair few social sciences surveys a few years backat uni, generally inclusiveness to the nth degree is encouraged

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:17 am

skalpel wrote:

Those who are intersex/non-binary and all the other letters added on the end of LGBTQ... would say that challenging roles and challenging binary categorization go hand in hand. ie if one is comfortable accepting non-binary gender identity, then it would be easier to accept a female steelworker or male nanny.
Now I know some (especially on here) will think all of those concepts nonsense, but its certainty true those groups of people have benefited massively from the internet to communicate/organise.

On point 3, having taken a fair few social sciences surveys a few years backat uni, generally inclusiveness to the nth degree is encouraged
But you said "those who are challenging those roles would challenge not having the third choice", and I'm saying "not necessarily, and in fact the 'those' who you refer to would actually constitute a small percentage of those who challenge gender roles". Besides, isn't it possible even that a man who has come to call himself a woman might very well decide to conform to the traditional gender role of a female? That gives even more force to my answer of "not necessarily".

I'm not interested in point three really.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:20 am

skalpel wrote:

But you said "those who are challenging those roles would challenge not having the third choice", and I'm saying "not necessarily, and in fact the 'those' who you refer to would actually constitute a small percentage of those who challenge gender roles". Besides, isn't it possible even that a man who has come to call himself a woman might very well decide to conform to the traditional gender role of a female? That gives even more force to my answer of "not necessarily".

Well yes it would be a small percentage for sure (although quite a vocal perspective). What's in bold certainly occurs, but there are also some people who define themselves as non-binary, as in neither male nor female.
In general I agree its a small % and I'm not saying its vital, but I'm surprised it wasn't added (with marginally more work)

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 am

skalpel wrote:

Well yes it would be a small percentage for sure (although quite a vocal perspective). What's in bold certainly occurs, but there are also some people who define themselves as non-binary, as in neither male nor female.
In general I agree its a small % and I'm not saying its vital, but I'm surprised it wasn't added (with marginally more work)
Yeah I'm sure there will be some people who feel unable to answer Male or Female, I was just a bit confused about the necessary relationship between that and the challenging of traditional gender roles.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Done.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 am

Should there also be additional age choices for older people who feel young at heart, or people who feel older than their years, or those who just don't associate with their age at all, or those who've had cosmetic surgery to reduce the signs of aging?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 am

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
Should there also be additional age choices for older people who feel young at heart, or people who feel older than their years, or those who just don't associate with their age at all, or those who've had cosmetic surgery to reduce the signs of aging?
sure if there was a question about challenging perceptions of age <roll>