Computer Workshop

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Re: Computer Workshop

Post by Duke » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:22 pm

asbo wrote:
Duke wrote:
But can't you get a Windows PC with the same specs as a Mac (or better) for far less?
Not really, in my opinion. Go into PC World and have a look at a MacBook Pro and a similarly spec'd Toshiba or HP; they might be similar in terms of processor, hard drive etc. but they'll be nowhere near in terms of build quality, display, audio and design, which are far more important to most people's user experience than what's underneath. Buying an Acer might be a cheaper way of getting a machine with an I7 processor in it but it would be in no way similar to a MacBook, they cut corners all over the place to sell them at those prices.
Fair enough. Not sure at all about 'nowhere near' but I know f*** all about computers <laugh>
I dunno

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 am

asbo wrote:
Duke wrote:
But can't you get a Windows PC with the same specs as a Mac (or better) for far less?
Not really, in my opinion. Go into PC World and have a look at a MacBook Pro and a similarly spec'd Toshiba or HP; they might be similar in terms of processor, hard drive etc. but they'll be nowhere near in terms of build quality, display, audio and design, which are far more important to most people's user experience than what's underneath. Buying an Acer might be a cheaper way of getting a machine with an I7 processor in it but it would be in no way similar to a MacBook, they cut corners all over the place to sell them at those prices.
Fail to mention that they don't come with a CD drive, USB-A ports, ethernet ports, HDMI ports.

You can build an very, very good PC for much less than what a MacBook Pro costs.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 am

asbo wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
That's certainly true for Apple fans.

I care far more about what's underneath than how shiny it is or how smooth the edges are. I know I can get a decent spec Windows PC that might look like s*** but is reasonably priced, but to get a Mac of equivalent spec would require remortgaging my house.
You don't think display quality is important? Or build quality?
Of course it's important, but I don't need an Ultra Mega HD 4K super display and something that has been beautifully hand crafted by Tibetan monks.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:I need a new PC. My budget is about £500. Do any of you nerds know any good sites to use? I'm happy buying something pre-built or building it myself. I don't intend to use it for gaming or anything so it doesn't need to be anything ridiculous, it's just for general use.
Do you just need a new tower? Or will you be wanting a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS, etc all in that?

PCPartPicker is a great place to price up builds these days:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/jdwrxr ... fice-build

You can set your preferred sellers to thin down the number of different shops used, and can use that as a base and start editing stuff without worrying about compatibility.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Cal wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:I need a new PC. My budget is about £500. Do any of you nerds know any good sites to use? I'm happy buying something pre-built or building it myself. I don't intend to use it for gaming or anything so it doesn't need to be anything ridiculous, it's just for general use.
Do you just need a new tower? Or will you be wanting a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS, etc all in that?

PCPartPicker is a great place to price up builds these days:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/jdwrxr ... fice-build

You can set your preferred sellers to thin down the number of different shops used, and can use that as a base and start editing stuff without worrying about compatibility.
Amazing! Just what I was looking for <ok>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm

I've got a Microsoft surface pro 3 or something. It's pretty good for the rare times I use it
# stolen from nufc.com :)

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:40 pm

anyone know how to sync your phone wirelessly to your laptop (i'm assuming it can be done, but i'm pretty rubbish when it comes to things like this). like with some sort of google drive-esque shared folder?

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Beatski wrote:anyone know how to sync your phone wirelessly to your laptop (i'm assuming it can be done, but i'm pretty rubbish when it comes to things like this). like with some sort of google drive-esque shared folder?
Google Drive will do exactly that <ok>.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:09 am

Well I figured that, but I use it for other stuff. Was hoping Samsung would have some built in system that uploads stuff in to the right locations automatically.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:32 am

Beatski wrote:Well I figured that, but I use it for other stuff. Was hoping Samsung would have some built in system that uploads stuff in to the right locations automatically.
There should be a way of using Samsung Cloud like this

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Anyone know a better alternative to Godaddy?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:59 pm

PTAO wrote:Anyone know a better alternative to Godaddy?
WTF is Godaddy? It just sounds wrong

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
PTAO wrote:Anyone know a better alternative to Godaddy?
WTF is Godaddy? It just sounds wrong
Domain resgistrar, but they want me to pay them not to sell my info on...

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:32 pm

PTAO wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: WTF is Godaddy? It just sounds wrong
I've had so many phone calls and emails after registration with them.

Good set up and pricing for hosting etc but the spam is never ending, even after 3 months.

To be fair, all domain registrars are doing it.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Struggling to get ftp working via a godaddy site so very reliant on their internal version which is slow and can't preselect uploads.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 pm

PTAO wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: WTF is Godaddy? It just sounds wrong
That sounds very dodgy mate

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm trying to learn to build web apps using PHP - which I know ToonForum uses so I'm hoping Cal and skalpel can help. I've been reading about the coding side of it and it doesn't seem too difficult, I just have no idea how to install it on my laptop so I can practice using it.

I found this guide for LAMP stacks: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04

I'm assuming from Set Global ServerName section when configuring Apache that I need a server to install a LAMP stack on my laptop. Anyone know if this is correct? Does this mean there's no way to use PHP without an internet connection? Really confused. I don't really want to launch a site just to practice PHP on.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm

asbo wrote:I'm trying to learn to build web apps using PHP - which I know ToonForum uses so I'm hoping Cal and skalpel can help. I've been reading about the coding side of it and it doesn't seem too difficult, I just have no idea how to install it on my laptop so I can practice using it.

I found this guide for LAMP stacks: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04

I'm assuming from Set Global ServerName section when configuring Apache that I need a server to install a LAMP stack on my laptop. Anyone know if this is correct? Does this mean there's no way to use PHP without an internet connection? Really confused. I don't really want to launch a site just to practice PHP on.
Someone find a more boring post than this one. I challenge you!

And not one of mine <fist>

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Mon May 08, 2017 10:46 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
asbo wrote:I'm trying to learn to build web apps using PHP - which I know ToonForum uses so I'm hoping Cal and skalpel can help. I've been reading about the coding side of it and it doesn't seem too difficult, I just have no idea how to install it on my laptop so I can practice using it.

<neg> <cry> <cry> <neg> <cry> I f***ing hate IT. <wah>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon May 08, 2017 10:47 pm

asbo wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:

<neg> <cry> <cry> <neg> <cry> I f***ing hate IT. <wah>
<laugh>

I'd actually love to learn this sort of stuff. I really want to go into development <neg>.