Netflix Recommendations

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Netflix Recommendations

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

skalpel wrote:
TBC wrote:Anyone gonna try the new Star Trek? I haven't watched any of the TV series before and hope it isn't too cheesy but i'm quite looking forward to giving it a go.
Imo watch The Next Generation instead, and start from season 3 onwards. The stories and characters are excellent, "Darmok" and "The Inner Light" are two of the best self contained episodes of television ever.

Almost every other Star Trek series is crap tbh. Willing to try the new one at some point though, I guess. Trailer looks a bit <erk> though.
Was never really a fan of Star Trek, but am a bit partial to Babylon 5.

Yeah I know ... <coat>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Imo watch The Next Generation instead, and start from season 3 onwards. The stories and characters are excellent, "Darmok" and "The Inner Light" are two of the best self contained episodes of television ever.

Almost every other Star Trek series is crap tbh. Willing to try the new one at some point though, I guess. Trailer looks a bit <erk> though.

Yeah I know ... <coat>
That's kind of surprising actually, since you're fond of the Aubrey-Maturin and Hornblower novels if I remember right. The Next Generation is basically sea exploration allegories set during a time of political tension between two great powers. Each episode is its own short story within this setting and carried on the back of one main character who is a sort of mix of Marcus Aurelius, James Cook and Horatio Nelson.

Never tried Babylon 5 <scratch>. Worth it?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:25 pm

TBC wrote:
TBC wrote:Yeah, I recently found out it's not actually Netflix made and is showing on CBS in America, so i'm expecting a CSI level of s***.
It's s***. <neg>

Anyone watched The Crown? I'm not big on the royal family but put it up there with Stranger Things as one of the better shows on Netflix.
Yeah I watched it despite finding the Windsors a curious mix of nauseating and tedious. It was okay, and I liked its portrayal of Eden on the presumption that he'll become a less sympathetic figure in season two. The more political the show got, rather than family drama, the better it was, although the neverending Winnie love-in was embarrassing as hell.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:44 pm

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Yeah I know ... <coat>
That's kind of surprising actually, since you're fond of the Aubrey-Maturin and Hornblower novels if I remember right. The Next Generation is basically sea exploration allegories set during a time of political tension between two great powers. Each episode is its own short story within this setting and carried on the back of one main character who is a sort of mix of Marcus Aurelius, James Cook and Horatio Nelson.

Never tried Babylon 5 <scratch>. Worth it?
Yeah I've watched both the original Star Trek (numerous times) and much of Next Gen. The original was rarely off the tv when I was a kid. But I never really got that in to either ... it was just something to watch.

Babylon 5 was lent to me when I became ill 8 years or so ago. Binge watched them, bought my own box-set and have re-watched the whole lot twice (5 series and 7 feature length movies).

The visuals have dated quite badly and like Star Trek it has some pretty terrible individual episodes. But the overall long-story arks (there are two of them) are in my opinion really good and the core story also very engaging. Babylon 5 being a space station set up to be a base for Diplomatic and social interaction between the many Alien races of the universe, sort of a Galactic United Nations. So many of the storylines revolve around the political differences and machiavellian plots of these various races. The races themselves are very well thought out and it is the growing/changing relationships between them that is the best thing about the show for me.

I'd recommend it, but also suggest that you give it time to grow on you. It is a grower rather than an impact show.

Just found this vid on youtube which does a much better job of describing it. I also agree with pretty much everything he said.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am

Lassassinblanc wrote:Half way through Narcos season 3 have to admit I miss Pablo.

It's good but it be lacking something
I think this is actually my favourite season, the fact it doesn't revolve around just one main character is a good thing imo.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am

TBC wrote:
Lassassinblanc wrote:Half way through Narcos season 3 have to admit I miss Pablo.

I think this is actually my favourite season, the fact it doesn't revolve around just one main character is a good thing imo.
Watched the first two series but haven't made a start of series 3 yet.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:19 pm

TBC wrote:

Finished now I'll agree the last 5 episodes were brilliant
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Ramone wrote:
TBC wrote:
This <laugh>
SpoilerShow
I'm still not sure if she was actually locked up or not?
The person who wrote it deserves to be.
Finished the OA and enjoyed it so screw you both <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Ramone wrote:
The person who wrote it deserves to be.
<yikes> <yikes> <yikes>
REQUIEM

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

Ramone wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
<yikes> <yikes> <yikes>
SpoilerShow
What did you dislike about it? I thought the ending led on from what went before. They got the 5th movement so the OA was finally able to travel to another dimension with the help of the others.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Ramone wrote:
<yikes> <yikes> <yikes>
SpoilerShow
What did you dislike about it? I thought the ending led on from what went before. They got the 5th movement so the OA was finally able to travel to another dimension with the help of the others.
SpoilerShow
I think I'd convinced myself that they were going end it with her story turning out to be complete bollocks. Having them use the power of dance to stop a school shooting was f***ing ridiculous.
REQUIEM

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Just finished Master of None season 2. It's such a great watch for so many reasons! <awe>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:Just finished Master of None season 2. It's such a great watch for so many reasons! <awe>
What's it about? I need something new to binge!

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Just finished the Sinner, it's areet. Watching the mist too but not binging so that speaks for itself.

Decent looking show called Godless is coming on, find the trailer on youtube it has a good cast anyway.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:Just finished Master of None season 2. It's such a great watch for so many reasons! <awe>
What's it about? I need something new to binge!
I find it hard to explain without making it sounds s***:
...loosely based on Ansari's real-life experiences. Ansari plays the role of Dev, a New York-based actor who is struggling to identify what he really wants, both personally and professionally. The series reveals glimpses of Dev's younger years, and explores current aspects of his life, including modern etiquette (regarding texting and social media), and being young and single in the city. Other important people in Dev's life are featured, including Dev's dad, played by Ansari's actual father.
I initially watched the first episode about 18 months ago but only recently started watching it again and ended up binging on it. It’s hilarious but also quite hard-hitting at times. It’s just all really well put together. The episodes are only about 30 minutes long and it’s a laid-back, easy watch <ok>

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Big Bud and Little Bud.

BOUUUNCEHOUSE.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Anyone else been watching Godless?

I’ve just got the final episode to go. It’s great <awe>

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:35 pm

beardface wrote:Anyone else been watching Godless?

Seconded <ok>

PFT

Post by PFT » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm

beardface wrote:Anyone else been watching Godless?

Just watched episode 1, it looks bloody incredible. Trying not to binge as I have work tomorrow.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 am

Just started watching Stranger Things. It's brilliant.