Do you enjoy using social media?

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Lidl » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Use Facebook for organising events and messenger, otherwise never go on it. Snapchat I'm notoriously bad at replying on so nobody sends me any any more. Never use Twitter. I'm just semi-addicted to Reddit if that counts as a social media platform? Still wasting my life away reading s*** on the internet but it's generally stuff I want to learn more about rather than what some girl I met in a club 3 years ago is having for breakfast today.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... SApp_Other

Thought this article was interesting and relevant for the thread <gent>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:50 pm

beardface wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... SApp_Other

Had a quick look, sounds interesting. Will read it in more detail after work.

I think that in some cases people claim that they're on social media a lot because they enjoy it, but in reality it is an addiction for some. Whenever adverts come on TV my wife reaches for her phone and is instantly scrolling up and down on Facebook, it's almost like a programmed reaction now. She can't even go to bed without having one last check of Facebook. She says she enjoys looking on Facebook and it helps her relax which is fair enough, but I'm pretty sure there's an element of addiction there and she'd struggle to go a day or two without looking at it (even if just out of habit).

I have drastically cut down on how much I use Facebook and Twitter since first posting about it. I still pretty much don't look at Facebook all week and just have a bit of a look on Friday or Saturday. Same with Twitter, I mainly just look on there whenever we have a match on now. Definitely feel better for it and pay more attention to what I'm doing, watching or reading rather than reaching for my phone all the time. If I were to pick one platform to completely get rid of it would be Facebook, mainly as it's all irrelevant to me (what people are doing, moaning about, going on holiday etc.) whereas I get a lot more of things of interest to me e.g. football and F1 news and articles and so on.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

NathanEr
Tindall's Hoody

Post by NathanEr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 am

I don't mind to keep in touch using facebook, but these instagram and snap chat are absolutely ridiculous and time consuming!

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 am

Never had anything to do with either of them, apart from winding up in a photo with a filter on it every now and then.
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 pm

beardface wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... SApp_Other

It's wrapped within a speech about "millenials" (I hate hate HATE that term, along with the trend to lump everything into some sort of generalised category) in the workplace but this guy, Simon Sinek, makes excellent points about the Dopamine rush we get every time someones likes our activity on social media and how it's the same chemical that's present when we gamble/drink/take drugs or do anything else that's addictive.

I think it's around 2:30 in or so.

I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm

I posted on Facebook for the first time in ages at the weekend. I was at a wedding so posted a pic of me and Mrs BB. It's so easy to fall back into the habit of constantly checking 'likes' etc. I was on there more on Saturday than I have been for weeks, back to normal now tho and avoiding it during the week again.

I did look rather resplendent in my kilt tbf.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I posted on Facebook for the first time in ages at the weekend. I was at a wedding so posted a pic of me and Mrs BB. It's so easy to fall back into the habit of constantly checking 'likes' etc. I was on there more on Saturday than I have been for weeks, back to normal now tho and avoiding it during the week again.

I did look rather resplendent in my kilt tbf.
I thought Facebook had banned upskirt photos?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Have to be honest and admit that I only use it to either catch up on Toon News or wind up Mackems. The latter is very childish of me I know but they are great sport at the moment.

I’m a 43 year old bloke with a maturity level of a 12 year old when it comes to cyberspace.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

<laugh>

Since posting this last year I'd say that I spend 90% less time on Facebook now. I do check Twitter regularly, mainly for football news.

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 pm

I don’t bother with Facebook anymore really. It’s just pictures of pints and cries for attention.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Well, been on Facebook once in the last month and deleted the app off my phone today. Just gonna download the photos I want to keep and delete the account.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 pm

Had a facebook account for about 2 mths never used it then deleted it, i do use twitter a lot but only for game related stuff.